How many people are running oil filters for multiple intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tblt44
I would rather run a cheaper filter and change it everytime than leave a filter in for multiple changes unless I could drain out the old oil.

This is opposite to what I think. I my opinion it is risky to use a cheap filter even for 1 OCI. A good filter not only lasts longer, it provides a higher safety margin because it is structurally stronger, the media is unlikely to develop tears, and the ADBV is made of better material which stays flexible forever.

Filter area in many applications is too small to do a 2x ( just my personal opinion ) plus I always seem to be getting fuel issues which makes for a nasty - gluey- sump.

I did run a Toyota Denso foam media filter for 2 oci BC with the replacement the VT was insufficient lubrication and very loud clatter.

Never had filter issues in the old days of the Big Cans.

But, pushrod, and short timing chain not a 6+ footer like today's DOHC.

Last edited:
In the past I have run an oil filter for more than one service, usually when the mileage is low (changed oil due to time) and the filter was a premium filter. But it's been many years since this happened... my annual mileage has increased steadily.
I recently bought some Fram Ultras and will run those for at least two intervals, probably three (5-6k drain/fill) depending on the time factor. I am not comfortable leaving an oil filter on the engine for three years.

The average sized oil filter only holds ~8 oz of oil (verified by filling a new filter). A filter would have to huge to hold a quart.

Not me. The filter may still be good, but then there would be over 2 or even 3 quarts of dirty oil left in the engine. I want the full package changed out every time.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The average sized oil filter only holds ~8 oz of oil (verified by filling a new filter). A filter would have to huge to hold a quart.
"Huge" filters used to be typical, at least on US 6- and 8-cylinder engines. In between those quart-size filters and today's cup-sized filters, we had a period of pint-sized filters.

The only filter I would consider leaving for more than one OCI is the cartridge filter in my 3.6L Penstastar Jeep. It can be removed, and all the oil drains from the housing, inspected for tears or other issues, and reinstalled. So far I haven't done it, maybe one day.
wink.gif
Spin on filters get tossed with each oil change. In the case of my E-150 they hold a lot of oil, which I want out of the engine. To me that's the whole point of changing the oil, to get the most dirty oil out and start fresh with clean oil and a clean filter. The other issue I have is I really have no clue what is going on inside the filter. Is the media torn, or some other problem with the filter? No way of knowing for me unless I remove it and cut it open. Bottom line, it gets tossed, risk vs. reward, not worth it for me. Opinions vary.

I run the Ultra on my Grand Cherokee for 3x, but I use the same oil every time. Seems to tick more after an oil filter change so I just run them longer to keep it happy.

I can get filters for the other 2 cars less than 1/3 the price of an Ultra at Walmart so I just run them 1x.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
Originally Posted by tblt44
I would rather run a cheaper filter and change it everytime than leave a filter in for multiple changes unless I could drain out the old oil.

This is opposite to what I think. I my opinion it is risky to use a cheap filter even for 1 OCI. A good filter not only lasts longer, it provides a higher safety margin because it is structurally stronger, the media is unlikely to develop tears, and the ADBV is made of better material which stays flexible forever.

Agree that I think it's better to run a quality filter longer rather than a cheaper filter shorter.

To OP: I run the filters for 2 oil changes in both a '17 RAV4 and a '16 Passat. Both have cartridge filters and both get 2 oil changes a year at 8000 to 10,000 miles. So the filters are in for one year and 16,000 to 20,000 miles and the filters have looked fine when changed. I use OEM filters in both cases here.

Running Fram Ultra for 2-3 intervals (about 5-7k each).

Not worrying at all about changing 85-90% of oil instead of 90-95% - I believe there is no real difference.

Those of you that run multiple OCI's on the same filter should just drain and strain your oil while you're at it. I mean, if the same filter can be used multiple times, why can't the same oil follow the oil filter use as well? Just think how much you will actually be saving then!

Originally Posted by Linctex
I'm just about to 50,000 miles on a Fram tough guard.

Pictures in a few weeks.

Geeezzzzz .... I was worry to keep mine for the full 10 k !!

Originally Posted by billt460
Oil filters are cheap and easy to change. I can't see the sense of not changing it out with every oil change. Why contaminate a new oil change with dirty oil contained in the old filter? That's like going number 2 and not wiping.

You aren't getting all the old oil out anyway- there is typically more oil in the the rest of the engine than the filter holds.

Wiping once and calling it clean doesn't mean it is.

This is why manufacturers like Honda dont bother their end users with a filter change every OCI- because it simply isnt needed and engine puts out such a low amount of contaminates they have overhead even at up to 20K. You see them lasting hundreds of K and still staying tight.

UD

^^^^^

Exactly right UD...

Especially a port injection motor that has been well taken care of with a good sealed air filtration system.
It just is not necessary to change out the oil filter every time.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Those of you that run multiple OCI's on the same filter should just drain and strain your oil while you're at it. I mean, if the same filter can be used multiple times, why can't the same oil follow the oil filter use as well? Just think how much you will actually be saving then!

"Strain" the oil with a 2μ bypass filter setup and you could run the oil much longer ... kind of like "reusing" it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

"Strain" the oil with a 2μ bypass filter setup and you could run the oil much longer ... kind of like "reusing" it.

Yeah, that too.

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^

Exactly right UD...

Especially a port injection motor that has been well taken care of with a good sealed air filtration system.

This is true. If you have had the engine since new and done all thee maintainance then sure but never on a used engine with an unknown history or visual inspection. The problem is not so much particle ingress from poor filtration as it is deposits loosened with new oil, these can seriosly shorten the service life of the filter. Better to err on the side of caution.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by bbhero
... Especially a port injection motor that has been well taken care of with a good sealed air filtration system.
This is true. If you have had the engine since new and done all thee maintainance then sure but never on a used engine with an unknown history or visual inspection. The problem is not so much particle ingress from poor filtration as it is deposits loosened with new oil, these can seriosly shorten the service life of the filter. Better to err on the side of caution.
Yes. That's a fine diplomatic and logical compromise between the extremes we see in threads like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back