how many of you keep your firearms locked up?

An unloaded gun is a paperweight. No kids here, so my firearms are all loaded, chambered, and with no mechanical safety in what I call "pull-bang" condition. They are also well hidden but easily accessible for me. On the rare occasions when a minor visits I unload the guns and hide the ammunition in a different room on a high shelf. As for theft, all entry doors are dead bolted day and night and I have a security camera.

I hope I never have to use a gun in self defense, but if I do I want it immediately ready. Who knows what emotional state one might be in when attacked, so I don't want to chance fumbling with a safe, safety, or magazine when seconds count.

It is a wise idea to keep guns secured. Not only for safety purposes but also to avoid theft. Many illegal guns were obtained thru thefts.

I do. My home is the family gathering spot and I have young grand nephews and grand nieces. They could hurt/kill themselves or someone at the age they are now or steal a gun from me as they grow older. Never say never. I have a StopBox mounted in my walk-in closet holding my go to pistol.

Some are locked in the safe and a couple are " staged " . Nothing in the garage though .

So what do you guys think 2024's going to be like? What's your gut telling you? George Floyd/BLM levels of chaos.. or much more? I suspect crime is going to keep steadily ramping up for the foreseeable future, not including election fallout which will have it's own brand of mayhem.

Then throw in the folks who are just sick of all the BS in general, and it should be good times for all 😉 😜

Honestly, I think 2024 will be just a regular year (Though, that doesn't say much, given the last few years...)

It is a wise idea to keep guns secured. Not only for safety purposes but also to avoid theft. Many illegal guns were obtained thru thefts.
That really isn't written correctly and I am not being pedantic

You mean to say I'm sure.....many guns used in crimes are stolen by criminals. Sure there are some ATF and state "illegal guns" but they are not typically stolen from gun owners.

So what do you guys think 2024's going to be like? What's your gut telling you? George Floyd/BLM levels of chaos.. or much more? I suspect crime is going to keep steadily ramping up for the foreseeable future, not including election fallout which will have it's own brand of mayhem.

Then throw in the folks who are just sick of all the BS in general, and it should be good times for all 😉 😜
When crime was generally rising in most cities and across the USA through the 1960s through the 1980s, most places responded in the usual common sense ways: additional police staffing, mandatory sentencing to keep criminals in jail, etc. This had the well documented effect of reversing the trend and reducing crime, until about 20 years ago crime was about as low as it's ever been.

Yet with the increasing crime that correlated with COVID, we also had the opposite trends in police and criminal justice. People wanting to reduce or defund police, reduce mandatory sentences, eliminate bail, etc. To be fair, this reaction is based on documented abuses (whether they are systematic or isolated incidents is a matter of debate). So it doesn't look like the solution that worked in the past will be applied this time around. Unless there is a different solution (which seems unlikely), I don't think we will reverse the recent trend of rising crime until public opinions about police, sentencing and bail change. People tend to be stubborn with their opinions and it takes overwhelming contrary evidence to change. So I expect the high crime rates of recent years to get worse before they get better.

I live in a very gun friendly state, no storage laws, we have stand your ground and castle doctrine laws, and we have no children at home. Our guns are never stored in a garage or car, they are either on us and/or in the house judiciously placed for easy access.

2024 is going to be a pivotal year, I recommend you be prepared 😉
Please elaborate why I should be prepared you know something

Let’s not cross into political speech. Don’t take the bait.
No bait intended.. I was honestly just curious about other folks feelings about next year as far as what they expected it to be like, most folks seem to have an unease about 2024, but nobody talks about it 😉

Since this is the firearms forum I thought folks may share what they're worried about or how they're preparing. I think politics are a smaller part of the worries than folks make it out to be. Regardless of leadership, I think fear of rising prices and crime, the continuing pandemic, unpredictable shortages of many things, world conflict, and just an overall unpredictability are making folks nervous, and sometimes it's helpful to hear other people's feedback on things 😉

I definitely don't think the world is ending next year, but I think it's going to be more stressful. Survivable for sure, just more stressful.

And there were several honest, thoughtful responses to my question up above without any explosive political bs 👍 That's what I was looking for 😃 I know most everything tends to get drug into an online battle, because some folks like to fight over anything, but I don't think it has to be that way. At least that wasn't my intention ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

@J Dubbs - there have been dramatic changes in sales numbers, and as a result, prices and availability of firearms and ammo in previous election years.

2012, as an example, precipitated a “crisis” in the availability of both. Firearm prices doubled. Shelves were bare. Ammo prices quadrupled, and many types were simply not in stock.

Price and availability returned to normal in about 2014.

There was a similar run up in sales, and similar scarcity and price increases, in 2020.

Gun stores have good inventory at the moment. Ammo prices (and we will use 5.56 and 9mm as yardsticks) are down more than 50% from their highest point last year to about 50% above 2018 lows.

Doesn‘t take much to reckon that a spike in sales, and prices, along with a reduction in availability, is about to happen again.

Back