How many of you DO NOT change your ATF—CVT—DCT/DSG fluid

F150 6R80 do drain/fill every 30k.
Subaru High Torque CVT (gear at 150k) doing full exchange every 50/60 k.
Kids 12 RAV4 every fall MightyVac drain/fill

I don't see the DSG playing nicely without service, especially the way I drive it. There's not a single fluid left in my car from the factory. The big overlooked thing on performance pack GTIs is the Haldex front locker. I even did that. In the last year I've done the DSG at 40k miles along with coolant and just did brake fluid and Haldex at 50k miles.

And it’s red:

Using anything but the factory fluid is a bad idea. I don’t know how any dct fluid could be considered universal considering how different some of these transmissions are and I would not be pleased to have this used on my car. I can’t think of a single reason to select this fluid especially for a VW application.

I decided to look into this further and the most troubling thing is that it says it is for both the 6 speed wet clutch VW DSG and the 7 speed dry clutch VW DSG. Both of these transmissions have different fluid part numbers.

Last edited:
The only limiting factor is the filter debris holding capacity; isn't it? The fluid itself never wears out; does it?

The only limiting factor is the filter debris holding capacity; isn't it? The fluid itself never wears out; does it?
Maybe. Maybe not. There’s a lot of variables. Do we know for sure the fluid never overheated? I’d never consider any transmission or gear set to be lifetime fill.

And it’s red:

Thank you for this info, I was not aware that the universal fluid could be red. It also had Lucas in it because it was stringy. But it surprisingly drove fine even though almost 7 quarts drained out of it. I got it from a dealer that was totally clueless and it turns out the transmission was fine and the car was just not running right. Causing all sorts of crazy stuff to be happening. I just feel bad not knowing what was actually in there for sure. May do another change soon to make sure most of what is in there is correct. That stuff sure isn't cheap.

I've changed fluid in basically every vehicle I've owned which is about 30 vehicles. Only ever had one transmission failure and that was on a S-10 Blazer with well over 200k on it. The failure was due to a cooler line leak that I didn't catch until it was too late. I was young and not nearly as diligent about car maintenance back then. Haven't lost a transmission since.

that is one theory.
my 2012 Camaro has the sealed trans on it.. at a certain point past the 80k mile mark
under certain conditions it felt like it had a slight misfire. my wife was the one who noticed it.

"misfire" was subtle.. but wife would say stuff about it.
so I drove it around until I figured out how to make the problem occur.
eventually realized it was a slight case of torque converter shudder that only occurred when the TTC applied in 3rd gear under light throttle.
figured out how to change the fluid, thinking it can't hurt.

it didn't... changing the fluid and filter fixed the problem.

so maybe the fluid doesn't wear out in the strict sense
but the additives may.

that is my story and I am sticking to it

Back