How many of you DO NOT change your ATF—CVT—DCT/DSG fluid

I’m just curious as to who does not bother to change out their automatic transmission fluid in your personal vehicles/daily drivers, be they CVTs, Dual Clutch, or Step Shift automatic tranny?
Also, What is your success rate meaning, how many miles/kilometers do you put on your vehicles Without any transmission issues?

I didn't change ATF in my first car, a 1971 Plymouth. Transmission still worked fine when I sold it after 13 years, about 170,000 miles. Since then, no more of that nonsense; I change the fluid. I've never had a transmission issue or failure.

Last edited:
Audi DCT changed at 20,000 miles.
Subaru 4eat changed at 10 years, 30,000 miles
Subaru CVT never changed and still going ok at 90,000 miles
Mazda MX-5 6 speed stick changed yearly, just for the heck of it.

Ford Explorer flush every 30,000 has 210,000 miles filter has been changed twice
Rav4 2017 spill and fill at 25,000 planing to flush at 50,000
Ford Maverick Hybrid 2022 ECVT planing a sill and fill at 25,000

I've only had one outright transmission failure-- that was a 2001 Nissan Frontier supercharged 3.3L at around 140K. Left me stranded in the middle of Kansas, literally with a $400 tow bill to the nearest repair place. I bought the truck with 50K and changed the transmission fluid (D&F) religiously with Mobil1 Syn ATF every 30K or so. I did have an instance where I abused the heck out of it, having to rock back and forth aggressively (in 4WD) to get out of a snow drift-- drift was so high a 15 mph head start didn't get me through it. But 15 minutes of beating on it / rocking back and forth did. So maybe that's an anomaly. That said, the failure didn't happen till 60-70K after that event.

I had a 4T65E-HD in a S/C 2000 Pontiac Bonneville that got really tired upward of 170K or so. Serious issues when the torque converter locked up in higher gears, getting in and out of lock-up. But that was with a Trans-go shift kit, and nearly 345 lb-ft torque at the wheels for 60K after it was modded and dyno tuned.

I can't point to any others. My '96 Maxima has 320K on original trans, my Pacifica has 170K with original 62TE and clean fluid coming out when I changed it about a week ago. My 2004 Odyssey w/ a 5-sp transmission known to be made of glass made it over 200K with simple drain and fills (with Amalie Universal syn ATF) from 130K when we bought it.

Every other car I'd owned had a manual transmission-- never did routine fluid changes and never had one fail. Couple of them even took ATF as a lubricant and still no failures.

I’m just curious as to who does not bother to change out their automatic transmission fluid in your personal vehicles/daily drivers, be they CVTs, Dual Clutch, or Step Shift automatic tranny?
Also, What is your success rate meaning, how many miles/kilometers do you put on your vehicles Without any transmission issues?
You're on the wrong website asking this

I’ll be honest I’ve changed transmission fluid in literally one of our vehicles yes you read that right ONE. That was my Ford Escape because we thought the transmission was slipping but it turns out it had another problem. It’s just something that never really occurs to you. I need to change it in my 94 Camry. I have everything to do it with just don’t want to put it on ramps and not be able to back it back down as it doesn’t have reverse. But I’m thinking fluid might solve it simply because when you check the fluid (yes engine running) the first pull it has fluid you stick it in the second time nothing which tells me it’s got to have a leak or using it somehow or just low and that’s the problem. Previous owner ran mostly Lucas transmission fix in it. So I need to drop the pan to replace the filter anyway so I figured I might as well change the very dirty fluid and inspect the inside anyway. We have everything to do it in the 2004 Camry too just it’s down and probably won’t run right again without a lot of money. Yes me out of all people forget to change the transmission fluid but am stickler about oil changes lol.

07 highlander base 135K 2nd owner wanted trans serviced . Garage said no could cause problems due to new fluid breaking loose things in trans. after service. Not sure what to do.

07 highlander base 135K 2nd owner wanted trans serviced . Garage said no could cause problems due to new fluid breaking loose things in trans. after service. Not sure what to do.
Go somewhere else that has balls. Flushing it would be an issue, but doing a simple drain-and-fill should result in zero issues. If it does, the transmission was on it's way out

Changing the ATF on a Toyota is very easy, including your 2007 Highlander. Drain it when cold, measure how much came out, then refill with the same amount :)

If you can change the oil, you can change the transmission fluid. If you still wish to take it to a shop, somebody will do it. Perhaps VIOC, if there is one nearby. I'd be afraid to use Jiffy Lube even though they'd be willing to do it :cautious:

In all honesty, i think you're right. I'm starting to seriously plan retirement budgets and vehicle longevity is definitely a factor.
Seriously? I would’ve expected that to be fairly low on the list.

It is so cheap and easy to change that I do mine regularly. If you listen to the companies/engineers who design transmissions (Aisin) they give a different story than the manufacturers of the cars that use them. Why? I can only assume that the car companies are incentivized to show lower maintenance costs and know that the initial fill easily gets them through any warranty concerns. I'll trust the company and the people who service transmissions and they almost always encourage regular service to keep the fluids fresh when directly asked about the issue.

Back