How Many Miles Have You Driven?

In 54 years somewhere around 850,000 miles. One car had 375,000 on it alone. Then there are the four company cars in San Diego where I was driving all over the county from Oceanside to San Ysidro. Luckily not my car.

Probably 500k including work vehicles.

Since I worked out of a company car, I calculate I have idled in various models for over 10,000 hours.

Nothing like having an office on 4 wheels. On nice days you can use the decklid as a desk and get some sunshine. On rainy days you can act like an off road rally racer at the local Co-part when it turns into a giant mud pit.

On the road in various cars & pickups, around 450,000 miles over 36 years time.
Off road dirt biking miles, maybe around 30,000?

I worked construction and our territory covered 82 counties in Missouri and Illinois. Sometimes i drove 200 to 250 every day for 38 years. Wore out alot of cars in my working days. Gets old very quick.

I don't know, I've run a number of vehicles from new to >200K miles, and a few to nearly 100K. And one 1989 V6 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with the dreaded A604 Ultradrive to nearly 300K miles with one transmission repair and many, many repairs to everything else. Definitely over 1M miles in 4 wheel vehicles. Probably a little over 100K miles on 2 wheels. From some point in the early '90s until 10 years ago I averaged 40K miles a year. For the last 10 years it's only been ~25K a year. Luckily, I spread the miles around a few different vehicles so they don't all wear out too fast.

I actually keep track of this and the spouse and I had driven 476k miles and changes between two new cars, a commuter beater bought when I had to go to DC and drive through certain parts of MD. I am probably responsible for 300k of those digits.

It would have been great to get a job thst pays for the miles and drive a lot. And I don’t mean food delivery or low wage delivery gig.

Nobody will ever beat Irv Gordon. 3.2 million miles on Castrol GTX.

View attachment 198123
AutoBlog
Dude practically lived in his car. RIP Gordon. Lost but never be forgotten. Volvo needs to name a building and a street leading to their US HQ after Gordon.

And Castro needs to name a bottle after him and setup a tiny royalty from the sale. They got great publicity out of that and I only recall Volvo buying back the car for its museum. I hope they at least put a it on dyno in a glass case and get 100 miles weekly count in honor of Gordon. He would have want that car to be running instead of becoming a dead weight in museum.

Here I am trying to get 300k for my Fit and can’t think of reason to put more than 300 miles a week.

Last edited:
In retirement, I‘ve averaged 10,500 miles per year for past 11-years.
Over the course of my driving lifetime, I’ve driven around a million miles 1969. 🚗

Last edited:
Roughly 890k miles in cars I owned (all listed below), plus several thousand in my parents' motor vehicles, friends' and relatives' cars, plus a few thousand of work-related driving, minus a few I let other people drive my cars.

Plus 350k miles on bicycles, which added to the motorized driving, puts me well beyond 1.2 million miles.

I was in Industrial sales for my career, I have driven well over 1 million miles in this endeavor. I retired at 55 years of age and have driven from coast to coast through the South and all over the Western U.S. I would calculate total miles driven at about 1.5 million-thus far.

Crown vic P71-25k mi.
1995 Trans Am-25k mi.
1988 5.0- 15k mi
2001 ws.6- 85k mi
2002 g20- 30k mi
2011 z06- 4k mi
2012 370z- 35k mi
2014 JGC- 30k mi
2015 cx5- 75k mi
2019 cx5- 80k mi
2021 rav4 prime- 12k mi
2022 rdx- 12k mi
2023 volvo c40-13k mi
2023 ev6 gt- 25k mi
Miscellaneous vehicles-5-10k mi

Began driving 21y ago. So roughly half a million miles.

Accident 1: Hit by someone who disregarded a stop sign.
Accident 2: Loss of control at low speed being a dumb kid in a trans am in the rain, fixed it out of pocket.
Accident 3: Hit by a drunk who ran a light.
Accident 4: My car was hit while parked at a gas pump.
Accident 5: rear ended while stopped at a light behind a driver who refused to go on green.
Accident 6: hit by suv that failed to maintain control in icy weather.

Ticket 1: 8X in a 70, on my way on 600mi trip to visit my grandma in the hospital.

Ticket 2: 89 in a 60. Being a kid.

Ticket 3: 44 in a 25. I truly didnt know the speed limit on that road. I thought it was 45.

Ticket 4: 10ish over. Late for work.

Ticket 5: some guy was acting odd, pacing me, etc in my jeep, slow he slow, etc. I floored it to leave the idiot. 80ish in a 70 from a cop who happened to be nearby.

Last edited:
Between low years and high years, do about 18k miles a year in average. Been driving just over 30 years, so 540,000 miles give or take.
3-4 accidents, a few speeding/late light tickets…nothing dramatic.

Back