How many hours would you expect from a small engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Imp4
Remember, you are posting this to a forum with a bunch of handyman and tinkerer types...

It's not unusual for folks here to pick cast-off's from front lawns on trash day and get them running again just for the fun of it.

Good point. My brother and I have done that for years, and made some $$ selling OPE. My brother got me doing it. I was amazed at the condition [good] of things people would toss. All they needed was a few $$ in parts and a little time. Sometimes no parts at all, just a little know how. I guess the cost of repair $85-$100/hr around here to fix OPE makes tossing it a no brainer for someone who isn't handy, and a great way to make a few $$ for someone who is handy.

While still at home in the 60's and early 70's my father picked up many curb lawnmowers. 99.9% of the time it was the points or condenser that failed and they were put on the curb. I'd buy a new points and condenser set for ~$2 and have another working lawn mower. The last new mower my father bought was a reel style one in the 50's
lol.gif

Whimsey

The leak has gone away with use. I guess a couple of hours of heat and oil circulation has conditioned the seal back to decent shape. I have a new one in my Amazon cart so when it finally goes I can at least give it the old college try.

I cruise Craigslist Freestuff daily. Free OPE abounds. Runners even. I have picked my limit according to my wife. I keep looking for an upgrade to my sit down. I have enough F series Lawnboys to last me Ditto with the Ariens 24" snow blowers and even a parts Farm boss. Always the same excuse, I haven;t got the time to fix it. Back when I had more time than money, I monkeyed around with engines and learned just enough not to be afraid of them. One success led to another. I enjoyed the challenge. I'd rather fix a piece of dead OPE than work to earn the money to buy a new one

I use to work on a golf course grounds crew. We had 4 toro mowers with a 18hp Vanguards by B&S. All 4 had over 4,000 hours and were going strong. Good maintenance will allow anything to last.

Worth noting these mowers ran essentially 6-7 days a week, even in winter.

there was an article in homepower magazine years ago, using OPE engines off-grid for battery bank charging and controlled desulfating maintenance. They went through several Tec and B&S motors and said they'd get 500-700 hours out of them, and then they found a used honda, which was at 2100 hours and still going. This would be mid-RPM use, probably setting the governor just over the rpm where it would be taxed out for the alternator load being faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back