How Low Can We Go: Thoughts After 1 Week of Driving on a Rear Set of 40mm Lowering Springs

This topic Is no Longer up for debate..

It's been 1 week since installing the rear set of 40mm lowering springs on the van. The springs have settled and now the rear of the van is lower than the front but not by much. I've contacted the coil manufacture and asked if they can create a 8mm-10mm front set of springs for the van. They offered me a set of 20mm springs. But that's too much. they went on to say that they could create a new set for us and this would be a one off and has never been done before.. but this could take 1 year to create as they are currently backed up in orders.

I'm left with 2 options:
  • Install a 1/4 (or less) spacer/isolator at the rear lifting up the rear slightly (not happening)
  • Cut a new set of front coil springs 8mm-10mm (98% sure this will happen)
Reason being is this morning located a set of 2019 coil springs and according to hotrod sites, the only springs that can be cut are those with flow through or those with a continuous rotation. (attached image)

imageedit_4_8870852254.jpg

As you can see in this mage, there's a pig tail at one end (which can't be cut) and the continuous coil at the other end (which can be cut). We're planning on getting a new set of the front coil springs direct from Ford and have these cut to our desired length.

HA! I sent the pic to my wife and she's like "Let's Go For It!" I told her, you realize this means we'll have a hotrod van.. Cutting stuff like the big boys now..

YouTube Video Search: "cutting coil springs"

Last edited:
I can't imagine "lowering a cargo van" to be on the bucket list of most "car enthusiasts," so props to you...
To each their own huh?

In the knowing we have some very talents persons here that tend to do their own repairs or even modifications, I thought I'd give you guys/gals a shot at this.. here's the issue:

It's been 1 week since installing the rear set of 40mm lowering springs on the van. The springs have settled and now the rear of the van is lower than the front but not by much. I've contacted the coil manufacture and asked if they can create a 8mm-10mm front set of springs for the van. They offered me a set of 20mm springs. But that's too much. they went on to say that they could create a new set for us and this would be a one off and has never been done before.. but this could take 1 year to create as they are currently backed up in orders.

I'm left with 2 options:
  • Install a 1/4 (or less) spacer/isolator at the rear lifting up the rear slightly (not happening)
  • Cut a new set of front coil springs 8mm-10mm (98% sure this will happen)
Reason being is this morning located a set of 2019 coil springs and according to hotrod sites, the only springs that can be cut are those with flow through or those with a continuous rotation. (attached image)

View attachment 152710
As you can see in this mage, there's a pig tail at one end (which can't be cut) and the continuous coil at the other end (which can be cut). We're planning on getting a new set of the front coil springs direct from Ford and have these cut to our desired length.

So Hotrodders, let me hear your thoughts on this.

HA! I sent the pic to my wife and she's like "Let's Go For It!" I told her, you realize this means we'll have a hotrod van.. Cutting stuff like the big boys now..
Will the small amount that you're looking to compensate be enough to account for loading and additional sag?

Cut a coil or two off the rear for that LA drop. Add a set of wires, triple Lakes and you're ready for cruise night on Whittier Blvd. :cool:

The manufacture intended for the Transit Connect to be solely used as a utility van. We've rewritten these rules as to include the ability to create a sport car out of something that was never intended to be a sports car.. and if you only knew what lowering our van has done to it's handling and performance. The wife and I fight over who's going to drive the van on any given day or night.

Plus, I post these types of topics just to weed out naysayers and haters.. which earn them a big fat ignore.

So either one is interested in how we go about cutting the front coil springs or their not..

The manufacture intended for the Transit Connect to be solely used as a utility van. We've rewritten these rules as to include the ability to create a sport car out of something that was never intended to be a sports car.. and if you only knew what lowering our van has done to it's handling and performance. The wife and I fight over who's going to drive the van on any given day or night.

Plus, I post these types of topics just to weed out naysayers and haters.. which earn them a big fat ignore.

So either one is interested in how we go about cutting the front coil springs or their not..

We've rewritten these rules as to include the ability to create a sport car out of something that was never intended to be a sports car.. and if you only knew what lowering our van has done to it's handling and performance.

Nothing wrong with that, but most of us missed you posting this was your original intention. A little introduction and detail would have been rather nice. You just said something about cargo van and there are some pics in your other thread showing springs that just would not be that great for hauling cargo. If there were words about your goal = sports car handling, then I missed them.

Maybe it's just your writing style that makes you come off as a bit of an ass or rather boorish with a really odd "better than thou" demeanor. Offputting to say the least.

I am interested in the cut springs and overall outcome. Sounds sweet.

It was my hope and objective to isolate those of you whom have the skills and talent that may have done this before and walk me through this. This will be the first set for coil springs we've ever cut and although this will be a new pair. I don't need to flub anything up. Seeing how I never got any plausible comments, I turned the topic not up for debate there after. I found my answers and support at a hotrod site and through Eaton springs video.

Back