How long to find out your car did this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mini Cooper has auto leveling HID headlights that have pop out headlight washers that for the life of me can't figure out how they work. Yes, I've read the manual.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
The Mini Cooper has auto leveling HID headlights that have pop out headlight washers that for the life of me can't figure out how they work. Yes, I've read the manual.

My Mercedes has them. They got rid of the washer button and they only come on once you hit the windshield washer button 5 or 10 times and only when the headlights are on. My HID are also have curve illumination, but for a while I couldn't tell if they worked because I'd turn the steering wheel left or right while the car was parked and didn't see the lights move. They only move when you're actually going so I finally figured that out while driving in a parking lot and you can actually see the light swivel left or right when turning the steering wheel. Otherwise it's subtle, you notice the road is lit up when you're on a curve instead of the guard rail.

I had my Jeep for a couple months before I looked down at a light and noticed a button between L and R on the mirror switch. I was shocked when I pushed it and the mirrors folded in!

Had an old Porsche 911 that had a lever on the floor and 3 unmarked sliders in the dash.
I never did figure out exactly how they all worked. Seemed like it didn't matter what
position the sliders were in there was never any heat or anything that would pass as air flow.

Not sure it's a "feature", but it's fun figuring out that your old Triumph Herald is positive ground. If you replace the radio, you have to isolate it from touching the frame.

My parents had their escape for 2 or 3 years before they realized that you can actually unlock the back doors from the back. There's no lock switch or button. But if you pull the handle twice, quickly, it will unlock.

My cutlass ciera had manual fore-and-aft seat adjustment, so I figured it was an all manual car. The seat was sorta reclined, more than I liked, and I couldn't find any levers on the outboard side of the cushions to adjust things. So I figured it didn't have any adjustment. Later on I read the manual and found it had a "power window" type switch to adjust this on the front side of the lower cushion, like behind/ under my knees! What a stupid place.

That same car had a dinger that went off if you left the turn signal on for two miles. Girlfriend discovered that. I read about it in the manual but never had a deserted road to test it on.

The cruise control module on that car had an output for the "green light" on the dash but the dash wasn't wired for it. I considered adding it but I know when my own cruise is on.
wink.gif

The BMW E30 series (3-series from 1984 to 1991 in the US) has a dashboard button that's prominently displayed but has no indication of what it does. Apparently its some kind of window lock switch or fuse... still not sure even now!

In the 80's I bought a new base model Cavalier. While cleaning the interior I found light sockets for lighting the foot wells. Put bulbs in and they worked. Didn't pay for the "lighting package".
2006 Malibu does not come with any mention of a cabin air filter but if you drop the glove box door down you will find a snap open door in the air box that accepts a cabin filter.

I bought my Ion brand new in 2004. Only a month or two ago did I find out it will beep at me if I leave the turn signal on for too long.

A few years ago a co-worker told me that if you push the cruise button forward....your car will accelerate. If you push in the cruise button it will decelerate. Comes in handy on the highway.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My cutlass ciera had manual fore-and-aft seat adjustment, so I figured it was an all manual car. The seat was sorta reclined, more than I liked, and I couldn't find any levers on the outboard side of the cushions to adjust things. So I figured it didn't have any adjustment. Later on I read the manual and found it had a "power window" type switch to adjust this on the front side of the lower cushion, like behind/ under my knees! What a stupid place.

That's where the lumbar control is on my Vic-the controls for the other seat adjustments are on the door panel. I agree: stupid place!

My 89 S-15 Jimmy had a light over the hatch window in the cargo area, which I knew about, but it took me a while before I realized that there was a switch there to control the light so I didn't have to open one of the doors to turn it on.

I have this mirror in my car that I thought was a make up mirror for women.
Every time I looked into it I saw my face.
2 years later I found out if I tilted it a little differently I could see the cars behind me.
Should have read the owners manual.

After owning my Maxima for several years, I realized that if you hold the unlock button on the key fob down, it will roll down the front windows. Kind of useful to air out a hot car during the summer.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
After owning my Maxima for several years, I realized that if you hold the unlock button on the key fob down, it will roll down the front windows. Kind of useful to air out a hot car during the summer.

Mercedes also does the same thing, also opens the sunroof too. When you're in the car, holding down the recirc button will close all the windows and sunroof. I guess that's for when you go into a tunnel filled with exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back