How long on MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using MMO in my gas tank on my last fuel fill. I have a 22 gallon tank, and I filled up at the gas station then added 10 oz. MMO to the tank. I filled up again today and calculated the MPG by the miles I drove divided by the gallons it took today to fill up. I still got 17 MPG, which is what I had without MMO.

I bought 12.5 gallons of fuel today so I added 4 more oz MMO to my tank. I also bought a 32 oz. container of MMO on my trip to Walmart today. I plan on running the MMO for the next few months to see if I can get better MPG with it. I have a Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6 and 5 speed manual. I use Napa house brand 10W30 conventional and Proselect filters. My truck runs very well and has 121,000 miles on it. The MMO *seems* to have given a small increase in power on the butt-dyno so far.

Question is, the guys here who have seen increased MPG on MMO in the tank, how long or how many tanks did it take before your MPG increased? Is it absolutely necessary to put it in the oil too to increase MPG? I am leery of adding anything in the crankcase. My truck doesn't burn or leak any oil at all.

Thanks for the info here.

It just clogged up my injectors and took 4 tanks to clean it out. I over treated though by accident; ran 12 oz on 8 gallons - the bottle neck got stuck in the fill pipe. DOH! So. forget what I said - but dont overdo it. Did you try just running plain old SAE 30wt SA non-detergent as a top oil?

PYB is a good "gas mileage" oil. But I druve hard and need something tougher at high RPM and LOAD. I wouldnt put MMO in the crankcase since it uses chlorinated naphthenes. Then again, I blow up all my engines so - forget what I say.

The question you need to ask is....even if your mileage increased a tad, would those savings make up for the cost of the MMO? For most of us, the answer is no.

On top of that, you're aslo putting something into your gas that wasn't really designed to go there. So
21.gif

IMO, using MMO is simply a "feel good" move. If it makes you feel good to use it, go for it. But don't expect much in the way of a tangible improvement.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I started using MMO in my gas tank on my last fuel fill. I have a 22 gallon tank, and I filled up at the gas station then added 10 oz. MMO to the tank. I filled up again today and calculated the MPG by the miles I drove divided by the gallons it took today to fill up. I still got 17 MPG, which is what I had without MMO.

I bought 12.5 gallons of fuel today so I added 4 more oz MMO to my tank. I also bought a 32 oz. container of MMO on my trip to Walmart today. I plan on running the MMO for the next few months to see if I can get better MPG with it. I have a Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6 and 5 speed manual. I use Napa house brand 10W30 conventional and Proselect filters. My truck runs very well and has 121,000 miles on it. The MMO *seems* to have given a small increase in power on the butt-dyno so far.

Question is, the guys here who have seen increased MPG on MMO in the tank, how long or how many tanks did it take before your MPG increased? Is it absolutely necessary to put it in the oil too to increase MPG? I am leery of adding anything in the crankcase. My truck doesn't burn or leak any oil at all.

Thanks for the info here.

I saw some increase in gas mileage with MMO after using it on the 3rd tank of gas.

I think I gained about 1 m.p.g. with MMO in my oil, but if you do not want to put MMO in your crankcase, that's fine.
I like the MMO in the gas because I feel it lubes the fuel system as well as keeping the top end lubed, and I feel it keeps the entire fuel system clean.

With any product, you need to use it a few times to see results.

Did you use a fuel system cleaner in your tank before using MMO in the gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Question is, the guys here who have seen increased MPG on MMO in the tank, how long or how many tanks did it take before your MPG increased?

It technically differs for everyone depending on how well they have taken care of their vehical. For someone who stays on top of oil changes and always uses higher quality fuel from a trusted gas station, they probably wont see the results of someone who doesnt do scheduled oil changes and uses a low quality gas or gas from a station with a contaminated supply.

I did add MMO to my old truck for 1,000 miles straight and never noticed a difference in gas mileage, only a lighter wallet. I never tried it agian after that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
PYB is a good "gas mileage" oil. But I druve hard and need something tougher at high RPM and LOAD. I wouldnt put MMO in the crankcase since it uses chlorinated naphthenes. Then again, I blow up all my engines so - forget what I say.

According to the MSDS Chlorinated Hydrocarbons only make up 1% of MMO. 1% of 4 oz of MMO diluted in 10+ gallons of fuel shouldn't harm anything.

Last edited:
It just clogged up my injectors and took 4 tanks to clean it out. I over treated though by accident; ran 12 oz on 8 gallons - the bottle neck got stuck in the fill pipe. DOH! So. forget what I said - but dont overdo it. Did you try just running plain old SAE 30wt SA non-detergent as a top oil?

I read a post a while back by one of our respected members who intentionally OD'ed MMO in the gas with no ill effects. My father has done it many times, and so have I with no ill effects. Your dose is mild in comparison to what we've done. But there is no real reason to use more than they suggest.

As far as calculating mpgs in the winter, IMO the readings will always be a little screwy especially if you are comparing them to summer readings. I'd say if you get the same mpgs in the winter as you do in the summer consider it an improvement! YMMV as they say.

Thanks for the info. I have been adding a bottle of Regane Fuel System Cleaner, the one in the clear bottle about every 5000 miles. I always use good gas and change my oil every 3000 miles. I rotate my tires at every other oil change too. I don't know if the MMO is going to do much for me but I guess the only way to find out is to keep trying it for a few more tanks.

Thanks for the help.

Many get some MPG increase with MMO in the fuel.
To me, this is a happy coincidence if it happens - great!.
I use it for lubing and cleaning - anything else is gravy..

You are my kind of guy! Tell us what have you been using which caused your injectors to clog.

It may be non-detergent, but it probably still has a lot of metallic anti-wear additives, which should not be burned in your combustion chamber.

I only wish I had added it to the gas tank in my E-150 VS the inverse oiler which bypassed the injectors. My thinking is I would have saved myself a lot of grief 20 something years later. Everything else I own or owned got MMO added into the gas tank, no injector problems ever. The E-150 got it fed via an inverse oiler and I had some injector issues. Go figure.
21.gif
Coincidence, bad luck, fate?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

It may be non-detergent, but it probably still has a lot of metallic anti-wear additives, which should not be burned in your combustion chamber.

What is the correct dose rate? 4oz/10gal? You were roughly 3x the dose rate? doesnt seem that strong that it would clog injectors.

I noticed on my first tank on my low mileage Yota. I get 3-4mpg better on the same trip in the same conditions using the cruise control. Not enough to pay for the MMO, but I run it every 3 to 4 tanks as a cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I noticed on my first tank on my low mileage Yota. I get 3-4mpg better on the same trip in the same conditions using the cruise control. Not enough to pay for the MMO, but I run it every 3 to 4 tanks as a cleaner.

A 3-4 mpg gain should easily pay for the MMO. Not knowing the size of your tank but at a quick glance that is probably saving you 1 gallon of gas a tank full or more. So if 1 gallon is $2.79 which is what we pay around here, two tank fulls paid for a qt of MMO and a cup of coffee. Even if you add 6 oz of MMO/tank you are only using 12 oz of MMO for the 2 tanks of gas. Now if my numbers are off by half in the dose or the mpg gain you are still ahead of the game. Math is not my strong point but I bet I'm not that far off using your numbers. Sounds like a good investment to me. c3Po did some number crunching and realized he was saving money using it in his gas too. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

A 3-4 mpg gain should easily pay for the MMO. Not knowing the size of your tank but at a quick glance that is probably saving you 1 gallon of gas a tank full or more. So if 1 gallon is $2.79 which is what we pay around here, two tank fulls paid for a qt of MMO and a cup of coffee. Even if you add 6 oz of MMO/tank you are only using 12 oz of MMO for the 2 tanks of gas. Now if my numbers are off by half in the dose or the mpg gain you are still ahead of the game. Math is not my strong point but I bet I'm not that far off using your numbers. Sounds like a good investment to me. c3Po did some number crunching and realized he was saving money using it in his gas too. JMO

There are 52 weeks in a year, so I usually gas up once a week and I add about 5 ounces of MMO. So 52 times 5 ounces equals 260 ounces of MMO, and 260 ounces divided by a quart bottle of MMO which is 32 ounces comes to 8 bottles of MMO.

A bottle of MMO is $3.67 times 8 equals $29.36 for a years worth of MMO.

Usually every week I put on about 300 miles, so 300 times 52 equals 15,600 miles

1) 15,600 divided by 20 mpg equals 780 gallons times $2.50 equals $1,950
2) 15,600 divided by 21 mpg equals 742 gallons times $2.50 equals $1,857
3) 15,600 divided by 22 mpg equals 709 gallons times $2.50 equals $1,772
4) 15,600 divided by 23 mpg equals 678 gallons times $2.50 equals $1,695

As you can see a 3 mpg gain would save me $255.00 and I only spent $29.36 on the MMO

A 4 mpg gain would have saved me $325.00

I some of us want to judge MMO in the gas by looking at the gas mileage numbers but there are other important factors like keeping the fuel system lubed and cleaned.

I noticed on my first tank on my low mileage Yota. I get 3-4mpg better on the same trip in the same conditions using the cruise control. Not enough to pay for the MMO,

I'm not sure what kind of math you're using, but a 3-4 mpg increase would EASILY pay for the MMO.
Are you sure you're really seeing a 3-4 mpg improvement? That would be most unusual. Typically it's around 1 mpg at best.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
The question you need to ask is....even if your mileage increased a tad, would those savings make up for the cost of the MMO? For most of us, the answer is no.

On top of that, you're aslo putting something into your gas that wasn't really designed to go there. So
21.gif

IMO, using MMO is simply a "feel good" move. If it makes you feel good to use it, go for it. But don't expect much in the way of a tangible improvement.

We know where you live
27.gif

How have you been? I bet Stihl Ultra Syn in your gas would work.....there, I am helping you out!

Last edited:
I've a pint in the crankcase of my wifes car. I should dose mine too. I use it occasionally in the cars fuel. But I use every fillup on my mowers + blowers. Way less carb maintenance since doing this. Maybe its just a "feel good" thing. I dont care, the smell is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back