How long are your mower batteries lasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What battery charger are you using? These are small batteries. They need small amperage. 6 or 10 amps, or more, will kill them.

If you have a dumb charger, and not a smart charger, now is a good time to get a smart charger as well. They do a better, safer job of charging batteries than dumb chargers.

If you dont already own a maintainer, I suggest you get one. It will double the life of your lawn tractor battery.

I have two Battery Tender Junior models and they keep my motorcycle and lawn mower batteries at 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-02...3V47CGWJ1S02G3B

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
I got 8 years out of an Autozone U-1 battery. I keep it hooked up to a BatteryMinder when not in use.

+1

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What battery charger are you using? These are small batteries. They need small amperage. 6 or 10 amps, or more, will kill them.

If you have a dumb charger, and not a smart charger, now is a good time to get a smart charger as well. They do a better, safer job of charging batteries than dumb chargers.

If you dont already own a maintainer, I suggest you get one. It will double the life of your lawn tractor battery.

I have two Battery Tender Junior models and they keep my motorcycle and lawn mower batteries at 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-02...3V47CGWJ1S02G3B

The charger is an old 10 amp. It's from Monkey Wards if that tells you how old it is. It's outlasted about 4 others I've had over the years.

The longest lasting garden tractor battery I ever had was a Deka brand made in PA.
Lasted about 9 years!
Most others I have had go for 2-4 years.

The Interstate in our John Deere garden tractor is 9 years old, still cranks up great. I've never had a charger on it, but the machine does get used year round for mowing, aerating, and snow removal. It is also stored inside.

While I have had a few go beyond 4 years, between 3-4 years seem to be the average.
After I had a $46 JD battery go a year, I have come to the conclusion that the quality and quality control are so marginal, that the best bet is the cheapest option.
I am on my second Rural King $14.00 special. The first went 4 years.

Just had one go out today. Bought it in the spring of 2012. I always took it out in winter, threw it on charge once a month and install it in April. Same holds true for three others, I average 4-6 years. I have a 6v in my old Ford 9N tractor, it was bought in 2009 cranks and starts fine, same routine. Don't let them run dry, buy fresh ones and keep them charged in the winter.

Last edited:
Typically the machines my family members own get 3 years out of a battery. My grandmother has had bad luck recently, only getting a year out of her last three. She bought one in April of this year, and it was had by June. No draw, just a dud of a battery.

I think it is luck of the draw. The OE battery on my JD lasted 9+ years, stupid me I preemptively replaced it, I couldn't believe it was still going. The replacement only lasted 2 years.
mad.gif

I've got a few years on my 3rd battery, I did have to jump it the first time this spring but it has been good ever since. I probably should invest in a maintainer for the winter.

I have a 3 year old Interstate lawn and garden battery that I got from Home Depot, back when they used to sell them. It started to struggle to start my mower earlier this season. I took the battery out, topped off all the cells with distilled water and put it on the battery tender junior for 2 days. Ever since, it has been starting with authority and all is well again. We will see how long it lasts now.

I bought a cheap $20 Walmart U-1 for my '98 John Deere GX85 a few years ago. Made by Johnson Controls I think. I normally remove the battery terminals before storing the machine for the winter, but left them connected at least a time or two overwinter. Fired up just fine in the spring and that battery is still going strong. I used it once to jump-start my old truck, it did that too. I'll keep buying the $20 ones from Walmart if they keep going like this.

5th year here for the original in my ariens, and 6th for the 3k genset. both use small-ish sealed batteries. I sometimes have to double-key the mower to get it through it's first compression stroke. I probably charge them twice during the winter. I keep thinking the mower's won't make it through the season but for 2 years it's surprised me. I'll spend for something decent when the time comes, if I can.

-m

I have Walmart U1's in 2 lawn mowers. They are right at 5 years old. I check the water level in them once a year and occasionally hook them to a Battery Tender during the winter.

My Autocrap battery from Advance Auto died after 1 1/4 seasons of use even with trigger charger on it during winter. I replaced it with Everyready from Sam's. My 2004 tractor went thru 1 original battery from 2004 to 2010, Everyready from 2010 to 2016, Autocrap from 2016 to 2017, Everyready today.

What about guys that use their mower everyday? I know they bounce around a ton, but they don't sit in a blazing hot engine compartment. Most are under the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back