How Illinois addresses what they can't pay to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurtatron, it's refreshing that folks on the inside see it as well as those of us on the outside. It's so very sad too because it doesn't have to be this way and it's going to hurt a lot of great people in the process that had nothing to do with it really.
frown.gif

That said our government is getting far worse with their nonsense as well.
frown.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Come to think of it, is it actually cheaper and more reliable if we just replace poured concrete structure like those with all factory build jack? You can swap them out as they age and it will be much less labor involved, and probably more durable too.

Steel costs way more money that concrete. Vertical cracks aren't as bad as horizontal cracks. I think horizontal cracks will just sheer away. Vertical cracks are common in foundations, it doesn't affect the load carrying capacity as much as a horizontal crack. Concrete takes the weight in compression. There's probably rebar inside anyway.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Pretty sad this is going on in what is supposed to be the super power of the world. This just proves that government is no longer serving its citizens best interests and only there to line their pockets. This is disgraceful and whoever approved this should be in jail. PERIOD!

I don't think we should be too quick to cast stones, Montreal's bridges have killed people with falling debris.

Ever since Govt spending changed from going into infrastructure to now social, we have seen the decline. Could this country ever build a project like the Interstate Highway System again? Not likely.

All over the country, fuel taxes that used to go towards highways and transportation now go into the general fund.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ever since Govt spending changed from going into infrastructure to now social, we have seen the decline. Could this country ever build a project like the Interstate Highway System again? Not likely.

All over the country, fuel taxes that used to go towards highways and transportation now go into the general fund.

I think the San Francisco bridge imported from China that somehow cost like 10x what the PEI bridge cost, and doesn't have to traverse a section of the Atlantic is a prime example of the disaster that is US infrastructure at the moment.

I suspect that the IDOT engineers aren't allowing unsafe bridges to remain in service.
I'm not an LE and you aren't either.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Nowhere in the country does the government profit off the highways and in fact it subsidizes them everywhere:

https://taxfoundation.org/gasoline-taxes-and-tolls-pay-only-third-state-local-road-spending/

That yellow staging is clearly temporary since they are actually fixing what you're complaining about.

And your taxes buy that salt that allows people to get to work and have more productive days of employment. Which is why as a first world country we subsidize infrastructure-- the people profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back