How hard is it to learn a guitar solo if you have never played.

I have 4 brothers who are very good at playing the guitar and they self taught themselves. I do not know what happened to me but I have never had the desire to play guitar. OTOH none of those brothers are fishermen but I love it. I believe if you have the desire to play guitar one should be able to learn how with a lot of practice.

Why not just buy a guitar (and a tuner, and decent strings) and start playing.
This is the tricky part about any musical instrument. Some people simply don't have "it" and no matter how much they practice, they will plateau at a semi-basic level. Sure, they can play simple stuff but even that will seem forced. And when it comes to buying the instrument, I mean, you can buy an electric guitar for $59 but they're garbage. You also don't want to spend $500+ on a mid-grade guitar without knowing if you're any good (or will get good).

I started playing the guitar in the 60s, me and a few buddies sang folk songs, nothing fancy,,2 guitars, one on the banjo, bass fiddle, 2 more singers, it took me about a year to read notes and chords f;rom sheet music,, basic stuff,,,chords, and simple runs,,,would suggest a teacher for a few months unless you want to play classical music and that is another world,,,good luck, if u have some friends that will learn with you , you will learn faster,,.........................

the Yamaha FG830 gets rave reviews and as blasphemous as it sounds they’ve used it and the Martin D28 in the same sentence. That’s pretty nuts as it used to be $280 for the Yamaha. I own neither and always wanted a Martin

Really dumb question for sure but each time I hear Pete's solo (ussually arond the one minute mark) in all the versions of Eminence Front, I always want to play it for myself just to be able to feel it. How hard would this be to pull off? Never had a guitar in my hands.
Do you have a buddy that plays? How long are your fingers? Are you right handed?
Have you played any instrument before? I have a Fernandez Montery that laying around but it would cost more to ship it than it's worth. Then You'll need that half-wall of cabinets and a couple mesa boogies.

A kid band in the 60's we swapped instruments for some tunes. I learned the Last Train to Clarksville pretty easily. And my fingers are short and fat - like toes.

Townsend is a tall order for a greenie.

Some people have the talent to learn and some don't. I know two people who spent a lot of time and money on lessons and basically got nowhere. Play with it and see.

Start with a baritone Ukelele and work up (says the guy with fat fingers)

Here is a Mitchell for $195-

uke.jpg

I built one of those faux-Stratocaster kits you can buy on Amazon for about $90. From fifteen feet away, it looks pretty nice. My friends who actually know how to play tell me it's pretty clunky though.... The strings are much too high. But it looks nice in the background in case I ever decide to film videos of myself playing my keyboards.

Really dumb question for sure but each time I hear Pete's solo (ussually arond the one minute mark) in all the versions of Eminence Front, I always want to play it for myself just to be able to feel it. How hard would this be to pull off? Never had a guitar in my hands.
There are a lot of basics you would need to master to play that solo. By the time you reach that skill level you could play a lot of other things as well.

I built one of those faux-Stratocaster kits you can buy on Amazon for about $90. From fifteen feet away, it looks pretty nice. My friends who actually know how to play tell me it's pretty clunky though.... The strings are much too high. But it looks nice in the background in case I ever decide to film videos of myself playing my keyboards.
$100 in a pawn shop buys you a very playable guitar these days.

$100 in a pawn shop buys you a very playable guitar these days.
Nope... Not in my experience, at least. I used to browse pawn shops looking for a "steal" and their prices are always way out of line (high). The low-cost or cheap guitars they did have were the $59 or $89 ones you can buy at Target, etc but they were selling them for as much as they sold as new. I really don't know why they'd buy those in the first place.

You can probably figure out the notes, but the effects added to it, will take some time to figure out.

You can probably figure out the notes, but the effects added to it, will take some time to figure out.

This. It’s a very complicated piece. A lot of effects plus the synthesizers. You might be able to get a guitar solo but without the rest no one will know what you are playing.

Nope... Not in my experience, at least. I used to browse pawn shops looking for a "steal" and their prices are always way out of line (high). The low-cost or cheap guitars they did have were the $59 or $89 ones you can buy at Target, etc but they were selling them for as much as they sold as new. I really don't know why they'd buy those in the first place.
The actual negotiated price is about 60% of what they are marked In most pawn shops around here. I could probably pick up 3 or 4 perfectly good Yamaha Strat copies for <$100 today if I wanted.

Back