How far do you let your stocks drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dadto2
I don't watch them, it will make you crazy. The best returns are made in the long term. All you need to do is start young with a more aggressive (riskier) mix in your portfolio, then gradually move to less risky, more conservative stocks as you approach retirement age. That method almost always beats the "active" investor in the end.

+1 Let time work for you.

I remain convinced that amateur investors are on a money losing program.

I have put the max into my IRA's over the last 30 years. I now have $50K in there. I would have been far better off just putting the money under my mattress. The setup is as follows, I take the losses, but never get the gains! What could be better for my investment broker. Individual stocks can be even worse.

My Ford stock is under $9 today. Paid $12 for it before the current economic upturn. Not every stock goes up during good economic times.

I've been doing this a long time. My advice. Purchase an index fund when the market is at a low point. Otherwise stay out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

I have put the max into my IRA's over the last 30 years. I now have $50K in there. I would have been far better off just putting the money under my mattress. The setup is as follows, I take the losses, but never get the gains! What could be better for my investment broker. Individual stocks can be even worse.

My Ford stock is under $9 today. Paid $12 for it before the current economic upturn. Not every stock goes up during good economic times.

I've been doing this a long time. My advice. Purchase an index fund when the market is at a low point. Otherwise stay out.

I've maxed for the past 30 years as well, and add a zero to your IRA number for my result.
Don't know why your account didn't do better.

AMZN in correction, 1500 still sky high but should shake the bubble heads from their trans...well have to sort through all the buy the dip zombies first so be patient.

This is where dollar cost averaging into low cost no load mutual funds and ETFs becomes a no brainer.

Pay yourself first every month.

I initially thought the title read: How far do you let your socks drop?
crackmeup2.gif

I started off investing with a broker. On his advice I did a lot of trading. He made a lot of money. I made about the same amount of money too, but I took all the risk.

So I invested in mutual funds. Over time I moved to low cost mutual funds (no load or zero preload, low MER). But I could never beat the Index. I wondered why I couldn't just buy the index. In Canada there was no solution so I bought Vanguard ETFs in the US.

Eventually ETFs came to Canada. That's where I invest now - in as broad as possible ETFs, dividend stocks and (or course) Berkshire Hathaway.

There has never been a good time - there are always storm clouds somewhere, and my investments are never ideal. But I've made a lot of money. Watching your costs and time in the market are the key messages.

I manage a hedge fund and rarely sell a position unless the fundamentals change or I want to buy something else. However I do do a lot of puts/calls.

Originally Posted by supton
I don't watch them. They go up and down. ... I just leave it alone.

^^ THE WIESEST CHOICE ^^

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Originally Posted by gman2304
. He advised us to go more conservative a few years before I retired.

Gold is at multiyear lows and going down. Where do you hide?

And you know this how? And Fwiw, gold last bottomed in Dec 2015 at $1046....that was almost 3 yrs ago. Multi-year lows? That sounds like recency bias to me. How many people said stocks stunk in 1982, 2003, 2009, 2011? A lot of them. People only tend to remember the latest trend and assume it goes on "forever."

Commodities have had a horrendous 7-10 yr decline....which probably makes them a much better play vs. the Stock Market over the next 3-10 yrs. Buy what's out of favor and horribly distressed. And that isn't the SM. Diversify a bit. I agree with the advice of buying index funds when they are well out of favor...like March 2011, 2013, 2016, etc. But always take some profit off the table after strong advances....for re-investment on the next decline. One should never be 100% all in on stocks and bonds.

Last edited:
Down 600 bucks. I think it's going to accelerate later in the week.

Who wants to bet we're down over a thousand in the next 20 minutes before close?

Last edited:
well I'd guess this is not quite over..the buy the dip crowd had a tough couple sessions and after today many will be facing multiple margin calls...we had a rather large short covering blip 7-10 min. prior to close otherwise you may have seen a DJIA close -1000...I'm hanging in there, this is setting up for a nice October Black Friday.

...if not this way over bought market will be shaky all the way into elections.

In no way am I trying to sound disrespectful, but something sounds off here. I was only able to invest into my company sponsored IRA for about 18 months, this was two years ago and it's now valued at just under $10k. This was a Simple IRA through American Funds with an employer match of 1-3%.

I now contribute (new job) into a 401(k) and have about $1,260 sitting there from the first 3 months of contributions (no match).

I understand everyone's situation is different, but putting max into an IRA for 30 years and ending up with $50k sounds off.

Originally Posted by RamFan

In no way am I trying to sound disrespectful, but something sounds off here. I was only able to invest into my company sponsored IRA for about 18 months, this was two years ago and it's now valued at just under $10k. This was a Simple IRA through American Funds with an employer match of 1-3%.

I now contribute (new job) into a 401(k) and have about $1,260 sitting there from the first 3 months of contributions (no match).

I understand everyone's situation is different, but putting max into an IRA for 30 years and ending up with $50k sounds off.
. Agreed. Even without an employer match, after 30 years, that seems light to me.

Looks like everything is down, so that's good. Something about the interest rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back