How do you like Mobil1 Ad- Don't change your oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is fine, breaking the 3k thing.

Most folks don't change their on oil .

Then again some of the new cars and pickups are all but impossible to do an oil change on.

I think it's a bad idea to generalize all vehicle's can safely do a 1 year OCI. To many people out there don't even check their fluids and it's not hard to imagine the quick lube shops are the ones keeping these cars from running bone dry.

I just think the marketing is in the wrong place. This would seem more like an "enthusiast" product for people who would care to spend more on their vehicle yet it's market to the people who think a $9.99 oil change is reasonable for a $30k vehicle.

Can it work? Yeah I'm sure it can for people there is some demography this would appeal to but ... So many people out there who don't even take care of their vehicle. My oldest son was dating this girl when he was in highschool and I overheard her saying her car wasn't running right.

We walked outside and looked at it mid 2000's Saturn. Car had less then 150k miles and she had a sticker saying her "next" oil change was due 23k miles ago. Asked if she ever changed the oil and she said yes she had when her parents bought it for her 2 years ago.

She had nearly 28k miles on QuakerState conventional. That's just the type I see using this oil.... once... Then thinking every oil is good for 15k plus miles.

To many people all there who just short trip their vehicle or have 2-3 mile commutes to blindly advertise this to everyone is a be all cure all solution.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I think it's a bad idea to generalize all vehicle's can safely do a 1 year OCI. To many people out there don't even check their fluids and it's not hard to imagine the quick lube shops are the ones keeping these cars from running bone dry.

I just think the marketing is in the wrong place. This would seem more like an "enthusiast" product for people who would care to spend more on their vehicle yet it's market to the people who think a $9.99 oil change is reasonable for a $30k vehicle.

Can it work? Yeah I'm sure it can for people there is some demography this would appeal to but ... So many people out there who don't even take care of their vehicle. My oldest son was dating this girl when he was in highschool and I overheard her saying her car wasn't running right.

We walked outside and looked at it mid 2000's Saturn. Car had less then 150k miles and she had a sticker saying her "next" oil change was due 23k miles ago. Asked if she ever changed the oil and she said yes she had when her parents bought it for her 2 years ago.

She had nearly 28k miles on QuakerState conventional. That's just the type I see using this oil.... once... Then thinking every oil is good for 15k plus miles.

To many people all there who just short trip their vehicle or have 2-3 mile commutes to blindly advertise this to everyone is a be all cure all solution.
I can tell you right now, that girl is not going to use Mobil 1 AP. Why should use that when she won't even get a conventional oil change? I think the 20.000 mile interval will appeal to some people. Enough to make a profit? Who knows? Exxon Mobil must have some research that tells them its is possible, or they wouldn't be taking a gamble. No big corporation does stuff these days unless they have data.

Last edited:
I agree. I thought it was funny when they added Kimbe Mutumbo to the ad. Bless his heart but he sounds like the cookie monster when he talks.

I don't run Mobile but I did in the past, years back. I would say Mobile has marketed better than anyone the last 20 years. I don't know how many people I've ran into in person who say "I always run Mobil 1, or Mobil 1 is the best," I ask why or how do you know but can't seem to get much of answer. I think just like anything else, the average person just goes with what they see or hear the most and use that as a guide as what's the best. They market there product, gotta give them that.

Regular M1 AFE can go 15K easily (as shown in the UOAs of my retired 2010 FX4) so why would you pay double to gain another 5K miles? Truth be told, I could have probably gone 20K on AFE and had I not traded it on an F-250 Powerstroke, I would have on the next OC. M1AP at my local WM has dropped from $49.84 to $39.84 and it is still not moving, there are loads of it on the shelf. Not one of XOM's better ideas...

Well, I change the oil on my Silverado 2500 once per year. But then, it never really logs more than 5000 miles in a year.

I have learned a long time ago that stuff like oil ads, it is a good time to go to the kitchen or the can. But many times, that is the beauty of pre-recording and just fast forward thru ads.

Yeah it is like new Coke. One big difference is that this product has helped sell the other regular Mobil 1, Mobil 1 extended performance and other Mobil 1 products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back