How do you get up in the morning?

On my work days, it's rare for my alarm clock to wake me up even though I set it
I go to bed at 10, have the alarm set for 4:20 but usually wake up around 4, peek at my alarm clock a few times until its 4:16 and get out of bed. I get up before my wife. I'm always good and awake when I get out of bed.

I like to be left alone when I'm in bed but my wife likes to cuddle. When I first go to bed, I'm always on my stomach with a pillow on my head. Yes I'm weird. As the night progresses, my wife moves her way to cuddling me and I end up on my side or back.

Knock on wood, I never get up to pee but I'm under 50.

Sidenote since there are a lot of members here 6'2" and taller. Look at California king mattresses next time you shop for a mattress.
My toes will overhang on a queen or king mattress. The California king mattress should become more popular. Finding sheets.. for them isn't a problem online.

Don't be one of the guys I work with (he's about 60).

He hurt his shoulder pulling himself out of bed and had to be out all summer two years ago. :rolleyes: Really.

But then this guy manages to be out on "short-term disability" or "worker's comp" most summers. He never seems to get hurt during the cooler part of the year, so he's a laughingstock among the other employees. "Oh, no! I whacked my hand with a hammer! I'll be out again on worker's comp!" :LOL:
How about my bros work, 20-30 somethings have babies. Women out for a year paid. Men out for 2 mos paid. Then they quit. Imho this is planned. Get a job with an employer who has these benefits, and start a family. And I don’t like people shopping at costco on co. Time 😂

I’m heck to get up on weekdays. I have to get up at 5:45 be out of the house by 6:15 to be at work by 7:30. Usually don’t go to bed on work nights till about 1am time we get done doing everything we need to do when I get home. On weekends I’m the first one up because I like to get what I need to do done. My parents usually saw logs till 11 or 12 on weekends. Today I got them up early to go to some yard sales and I started spraying the cars which made enough noise to wake them up lol. I like getting up early but not on weekdays. I hate getting up before 7:30. I do get up and get right on YouTube or other websites on weekends. On weekdays I can’t or I’ll be late getting out the door. I’m not a morning person I’m a night owl. That’s why on weekends I’m up till usually about 2:30-3am I’ve pulled all nighters before but that’s never fun the next day lol.
What you work at a bank lol

3:15 coffee make breakfast make lunch start work at 5am. 10hr days workout 6 days a week riding 2 hrs road bike opposite days lift for 1.5 hrs. 50 years old I don't tolerate laziness or crying my kids learned that real early.

What you work at a bank lol
No he works in insurance and the co is European. I guess one could say hey they offer it. 6 weeks vacation to start etc.

The flip side is he says people leave on the dot despite being salaried. 3:30 PM EDT is a mass exodus. I asked him just what time do they get in, 6:30? He said not sure but closer to 9:30 hahahahahahahahaha

First thing out of bed is put on pants and a jacket over my pajamas, maybe put on a hat too if hair is messed up, then go out to the driveway to pick up the paper. Won't get into WERE I read most of the paper next.

If I am working, alarm goes off and I get up and get ready for work (I have to be at work @ 6:45, alarm goes off @ 6 am).
If I am not working and have no plans, I just get up when I wake up.
Bed is for sleeping (and one other thing ;) ), so if that is not happening, I am out of bed.

Don't touch your phone while in bed. Seriously.... Either go back to sleep or get up. Studies shows it's just not healthy for people.
Yup, phone needs to be in another room ideally.
But then again, I don't live on my phone like so many do.

Phone is the first thing I go for when I wake up, sometimes I will lay there and go through news, texts and other stuff. I don't see it as an issue, I'd be doing it sitting at the kitchen table so what's the difference?

Personally I usually spend about an hour lying in bed catching up with stuff on my phone. Emails, forums, Facebook.

But sometimes I feel like this is a massive waste of time. But I can’t seem to shake the habit. It’s cozy and warm and soft vs getting up. I’ve been doing a little better as my depression has got better… at least I do something on my phone vs just lying there staring at the wall. But an hour a day is still like 1/24th of life!

What do y’all do? Get up immediately? Or hang out in bed for a bit?

TOILET!

get washed, dressed, get my stuff get on the bicycle and off to work (about 1 hr drive)

Dogememe, by the way. Great topic for a thread start. We all agonize over should we hit the send button? Is the topic too vague? Does it appeal to everyone? Getting up in the morning affects everyone the same but differently at the same time…well done.

I wake up by 04:30 and get up right away. I assault the bog. I put out the cats' wet food and I eat a small bowl of pistachios, walnuts, chia seed, and flax seed meal, and I have a few figs or dates. I drink two cups of green or black tea. On workdays, at around 5:00 am, I go either for a 5-mile run, or for half an hour I will bike, ride, swim in the pool, do calisthenics, or do weight and resistance training. I alternate these activities. On non-workdays, I may go straight to the beach and go surfing. After my workout, I shower and if I'm hundy I have breakfast. If I'm not hungry I'll most likely shoot for an early lunch. Between 06:00 and noon, I get as much work done as I can.

Last edited:
My neighbor and chicken egg supplier, who's old as Moses, keeps telling me the same joke every time he sees me.

Him: "Good morning, X!"
Me: "A good worming to you as well, X!"
Him: "I got a nice surprise this morning!"
Me: "Oh yeah, what was it?"
Him: "I woke up this morning! Mwahahahaha!"

I wish him countless more surprises.

Last edited:
I'm up every 2 hours all night long........start the coffee at a reasonable hour like 4 AM on, depending :sleep:

During the week I have alarms set for 6:30, 6:40, and up at 6:50. Put the dog's food bowls down so they can eat while I shower. Out of the house by 7:10-7:15 and at work around 7:30-7:40 something like that. I don't eat breakfast and I only shave once a week so my mornings are easy.

Even on days I work from home I have to shower to start my day. It's like my coffee. Which I don't drink either.

Work days I'm up at 5:00 to 5:15, get up get dressed then sit and have coffee for about an hour and out the door for work by 6:25. On the weekends it varies when I get up but I'm up and have coffee for about an hour or two unless there's something pressing to go to. Good time to sit with the misses and relax and we'll talk or maybe just play on our phones. Good quiet time

Alarm goes off at 1555, shut it off, glance at my messages to check for any callouts so I can start assembling my roster for the night. Get up, see the wife+dog if she's home, eat, get ready and out the door at 1717.

If there's no food in the house I'll leave earlier so I can grab something on the way, but since C19 we've been pretty good about keeping at least something I can make a meal out of in the house.

The life of a permanent night-shifter.

I have flex hours so I'm not really tied to a clock.
That said, I usually get up between four thirty and five with no need for an alarm. I move at a relaxed pace in the morning and have a couple of cups of coffee and a leisurely shave and shower. I like to arrive at work before my direct reports and generally get there between seven and seven fifteen. My commute is an easy one of around twenty five miles, no sweat at all.
On weekends I'll sleep another couple of hours. Wife is already retired and sometimes gets up before I leave and other days does not. I try to be quiet so as not to awaken her uncessarily.

Every morning I feel like ground hog day. Most times I check my phone first but not always... yet... everyday...
Wake up, shave, get dressed, lead dog out of our bedroom (he is blind), start coffee pot, take dog for walk, feed dog, pour cup of coffee, dog finishes his food and waits for me to pour some lactose free milk in his bowl, take my first sip of coffee while I wait for dog to finish his milk, dog finishes, wipe dogs face, lead dog to living room, bring coffee to my desktop computer and relax. Being its Saturday for a change I slept late and wife did too or we would be going to the beach... might be just house stuff today.

:) (yes its good to be able to do those things)
Good on you for being so kind to your dog. Your description of your routine made me smile.

Back