How clean (?) and which paint?

Hi all, this is the spare for my old Ranger.

I took a steel brush to the rim to little or no avail.

Do I still need to clean this up any better(?) and which primer/paint )combo?) might I use?

Thx in advance for ANY

Attachments

• 20231025_203158.jpg
    20231025_203158.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 21
A wire cup wheel on a drill comes to mind. Krylon has some silver paint with the primer built in. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it would work if the paint has something to grab onto which I suspect your wheel does.

Is it worth dealing with this? Bead blast, phosphoric or other acid treatment (after a while wipe down with ethanol or similar and let dry) VHT epoxy primer, wheel paint, clear coat.

^
Phosphoric acid? That's some nasty stuff. What I do is remove the rust with abrasives, wipe down with acetone, and then primer.

^
Phosphoric acid? That's some nasty stuff. What I do is remove the rust with abrasives, wipe down with acetone, and then primer.
The metal surface has micro fissures, cracks, and porosities even after mechanical rust removal. The acid is supposed to neutralize the remaining rust you can't even see. Nasty stuff? Sure but it's in almost every soda. That's why you can use Coca Cola as rust remover.

The metal surface has micro fissures, cracks, and porosities even after mechanical rust removal. The acid is supposed to neutralize the remaining rust you can't even see. Nasty stuff? Sure but it's in almost every soda. That's why you can use Coca Cola as rust remover.
Wrong acid. You're thinking of citric acid. Much more milder and friendly than phosphoric acid. 😁

"The two most common acids used in soft drinks are citric acid and phosphoric acid. Citric acid is found in citrus-flavored soft drinks like Sprite, Crush, and Mountain Dew. Phosphoric acid is found in darker sodas like colas and is the more harmful acid of the two."

Lakes Pediatric Dentistry

We're both right. 😁

Clarification: when I said "phosphoric acid" I meant a 30% aqueous solution of the acid. Or just buy a commercial product like Ospho at the hardware store.

Back