How are lows Simpson Power Washers?

I got a trash find Simpson MS60805 -0217 pressure washer. The story goes they froze the pump, and it cracked so they replaced with a factory OEM pump, then the camshaft pin seal on the honda engine started dripping oil and they had enough with it and threw it out. I cannot find any issues with it, it runs awsome, it does drip very minor out the cam seal which is a super easy 5 minute fix.

Is this a keeper?

I got a trash find Simpson MS60805 -0217 pressure washer. The story goes they froze the pump, and it cracked so they replaced with a factory OEM pump, then the camshaft pin seal on the honda engine started dripping oil and they had enough with it and threw it out. I cannot find any issues with it, it runs awsome, it does drip very minor out the cam seal which is a super easy 5 minute fix.

Is this a keeper?
If it runs good and the pump works I'd hang onto it if you need one. They aren't commercial grade, but with maintenance it should last a few years. Not everyone needs a top of the line commercial pressure washer. I have an Excell pressure washer from home depot my parents bought back in 1998. It's a vertical style pump with Honda GCV190. The pump was replaced 2 years ago for $100. Not bad for having it 20+ years, and it does everything I need it to.

Is this a keeper?
I have had one that I bought from Sam's Club for about 6 years and it works great. I have replaced the o-ring on the camshaft/timing belt shaft that start leaking last winter. It was an easy fix that cost less than a $1 and some RTV for the valve cover. I winterize it before winter and it starts every spring

if the oil in the pump can be changed ,do it on a regular basis. other than the normal not letting it freeze and keeping water flowing through the pump, it should last for a long time.

if the oil in the pump can be changed ,do it on a regular basis. other than the normal not letting it freeze and keeping water flowing through the pump, it should last for a long time.
There is no oil to change as far as I know

It sounds like you got yourself a very nice gasoline powered pressure washer for the right price. They're not heavy duty but will do whatever you're likely to ever ask of it.

Remember to winterize your pump each fall so that any residual water inside won't freeze and damage the housing. I'd personally fix the leaking seal just because I'm of the belief that oil belongs INSIDE the engine.

Congratulations on your find!

I have washed houses, driveway, deck, and vehicles. Mine gets used weekly in the summer months washing dirt bikes and ATVs. Nothing wrong with them for the price (In your case, Free!)

All I remember is that if it is not a brass cat pump with an oil resivour then you need to shut the engine off when you let off the trigger, otherwise there is no water going thru it to be also to cool the pump components. This operation has led to over 15 yrs of life with my current devilbiss. Hopefully if I keep it up then this one will last me. It feels WAY more powerful than my devilbiss with a cheap consumer cat pump.

I guess that is where the fully commercial ones are better is you can idle them when the trigger is not depressed.

On the negative side with testing this simpson brand, you must unload all the pressure or you cannot pull the engine over. This is a stupid feature that it does not auto bleed / unload with engine off.

All I remember is that if it is not a brass cat pump with an oil resivour then you need to shut the engine off when you let off the trigger, otherwise there is no water going thru it to be also to cool the pump components. This operation has led to over 15 yrs of life with my current devilbiss. Hopefully if I keep it up then this one will last me. It feels WAY more powerful than my devilbiss with a cheap consumer cat pump.

I guess that is where the fully commercial ones are better is you can idle them when the trigger is not depressed.

On the negative side with testing this simpson brand, you must unload all the pressure or you cannot pull the engine over. This is a stupid feature that it does not auto bleed / unload with engine off.
I think the instructions say not to let it idle for more than 2 minutes without depressing the trigger to reduce the risk of overheating the pump. Hasn't been a problem for me.

There is no oil to change as far as I know
you can change the oil but it entails splitting it apart and replacing the oil. i have done it a couple of times on mine. usually the factory oil on the chinese pumps are very light. i replace it with something heavier

I think the instructions say not to let it idle for more than 2 minutes without depressing the trigger to reduce the risk of overheating the pump. Hasn't been a problem for me.
Idling the engine and pressing the trigger kills the engine on mine.

I’ll run it how I want until she blows. 🤷‍♂️

Idling the engine and pulling the trigger kills the engine.

It does fine at full throttle.
There is no throttle on these engines? You start them and they run at a set RPM. You pull the trigger and the governor should keep the RPMs constant as the load increases from the pump running.
If yours dies then your governor is messed up.

There is no throttle on these engines? You start them and they run at a set RPM. You pull the trigger and the governor should keep the RPMs constant as the load increases from the pump running.
If yours dies then your governor is messed up.
Some models have a throttle. I've seen a few older ones with a throttle, mainly Briggs flatheads.

Back