Hours instead of miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my truck has an hourmeter, it makes more sense to me to change by engine hours instead of miles.

I look at it this way. All city driving would result in a 2500-3500 mile OCI, and all interstate driving would result in a 6000-7000 mile OCI, or something that is anywhere in between, on that same 100 engine hours.

changing by hours doesn't really work on motors with a wide rev range as cars do.

better to go by fuel consumption in my humble opinion.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
changing by hours doesn't really work on motors with a wide rev range as cars do.

How many gallons per oil change?

How would changing by miles on an engine with a wide rev range be any more accurate?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

How would changing by miles on an engine with a wide rev range be any more accurate?

read the rest of my post -

not suggesting to go by miles, but fuel use

Originally Posted By: posty

How many gallons per oil change?

this page is good reading material. it considers fuel use by bringing MPG into the equation and giving you a miles based OCI. if you know your MPG and mileage you can backfigure the actual volume of fuel consumed

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/interval.html

IIRC, SAE/API used to do a oil test in which most could not go the full 212 hr. speced for the test. There was 1 premimum syn that went the 212 hr. and passed, in fact ran it 4 more times for near 900 hrs. total, and still passed. The name of that oil was not told, waaayy to bad. They recommended 200hrs. max to be a bit safe. That is about 13k, highway miles, and 4-5k city miles, average mixed usage 6-8k, about what most seem to do.

Ford recommends 200 hours for use where the mileage is not a good indicator (ie: stationary & delivery type service).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back