Horrible filter location...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As Miller88 stated, how many will leave the shop with the same filter? A LOT OF THEM!
eek.gif

10 OCIs for 1 filter change.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As Miller88 stated, how many will leave the shop with the same filter? A LOT OF THEM!
eek.gif

10 OCIs for 1 filter change.
crazy.gif

That better be one stout oil filter!
shocked.gif

Thought the days of horizontal mounted filters were over, and vertical was the way to go for ADB? Is ADB on-board for this engine? Could oil dripping from that location possibly cause a fire similar to what was happening with the Cruze?

The filter location on my daughters 2012 Ford Fiesta is bizzare as well. It's not quite as difficult to remove the filter as shown here but when you do, the old oil pours right down on a rubber cooling hose. Just a stupid design. For this reason I am going to use 15K rated oil filters on this car, (run the filter for 2 OCI), and change the oil every 7.5K.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
For this reason I am going to use 15K rated oil filters on this car, (run the filter for 2 OCI), and change the oil every 7.5K.

y9nn.jpg

LOL. BlueOvalFitter, I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning on this issue but you do have a great sense of humor.... Thanks!

For this reason I am going to use 15K rated oil filters on this car, (run the filter for 2 OCI), and change the oil every 7.5K.

y9nn.jpg

LOL. BlueOvalFitter, I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning on this issue but you do have a great sense of humor.... Thanks!

It's just me having fun with the members, like you, that run the oil filter for multiple OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Read my signature and you will see why.
smile.gif

y9nn.jpg

It's just me having fun with the members, like you, that run the oil filter for multiple OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Read my signature and you will see why.
smile.gif

Wish there was a "Like" button on forum software!

I just did one of these at work, peace of cake. You guys are fortunate enough not having to deal with many of the models sold in europe. Try a Renault Scenic 2.0T or a Saab 9-3 1.9Tid if you want to experience a completely moronic oil filter location. All Alfa-romeos also suck pretty bad except for the 2.4 diesel. American cars are designed very well regarding oil changes, always a pleasure to work on them, BMW's and MB's also go in this category.

I thought my filter on fiat is pain in the butt, I need to remove half of plastic intake if stock. But this one looks real pita. Dude in the video didn't let all the oil come out. I would let it drip for 15 mins if It would be me. Only 4.3 q and 5w20 oil seems not good to me at all. What is standart oci per manual on those? If i would be you after warranty is up, I would compare 5w-20 vs 5w-30 vs 5w-40 synthetics do see which one offers less wear metals and keeps tbn longer.

I have a suggestion here. I think Mike Rowe of 'Dirty Jobs' fame and now Ford and Ford service spokesperson, should be put in a Ford service department, or fast oil change lube lane and be responsible for changing all 1.6L Escape engines for a day or a week. Might change his perpective on what Ford dealership lof personnel have to deal with daily. This filter change would qualify as a 'dirty job' imo.

Fwiw, I happen to like Mike Rowe.

I originally was going to suggest going with a FL400 vs.the 910 for the little extra height, it'd be easier to get the filter wrench on it at the end, and while it looks like there's enough room for one, I changed my mind when I saw what a pain it was to weasel the filter out!

I think using the filter pliers for removal would be easier, they longer handle would make it easier to get a grip on it.

my 92 Taurus with the 3.8L was easy to replace, given a bit messy, but it wasn't anything to get upset over, unlike the the early 90's nissan maxima's and my neighbor's civic..

Originally Posted By: EricF
my 92 Taurus with the 3.8L was easy to replace, given a bit messy, but it wasn't anything to get upset over, unlike the the early 90's nissan maxima's and my neighbor's civic..

My 2004 Nissan Altima with the V6 is easy. Just crank the front wheels all the way to the right, remove 4 quick release fasteners for a small splash guard in the wheel well and the filter is right there mounted horizontally on the engine. Put a piece of aluminum foil over the frame below the filter and remove and install new filter by hand. Don't even have to jack the car up at all to do an OCI & filter change.

My 2004 Nissan Altima with the V6 is easy. Just crank the front wheels all the way to the right, remove 4 quick release fasteners for a small splash guard in the wheel well and the filter is right there mounted horizontally on the engine. Put a piece of aluminum foil over the frame below the filter and remove and install new filter by hand. Don't even have to jack the car up at all to do an OCI & filter change.

Z06, is this procedure the same for a 2006 Altima 3.5 SE?

Z06, is this procedure the same for a 2006 Altima 3.5 SE?

Most likely.

I thought my previous 2006 CRV was bad. That video wins hands down.

Terrible location. Why make it harder for your own techs to do a simple job like an oil change.

After seeing this I love the location of the filter on my cars
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder how many of these will go to quick lube places and leave with the same filter?

first thing I thought of. the harder a filter is to remove the more likely it is to get skipped at quick lubes.

The worst filter position I have ever seen was on a 2000 or 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier A/T.

Same awkward spot generally as in the Ecoboost video, only it is in an alcove away from you that you have to reach into beside the right wheel.

Your wrist has zero strength at the awkward placement.

So, if the filter is a bit stuck it is very tricky.

You need a short extension with a wobble and a Lisle filter tool that grabs as you twist with the ratchet.

Then when the filter is off, you have to find a way to sneak it out through the lower tables then feed the new one in.

The first time I did one I was like "Whaaaaat?"

And, no, we ALWAYS change the filter. Even if we take longer to do it.

BUT, some places will do anything to avoid changing an oil filter. They just wipe the dust off of them to make them look new and add half a quart less oil and put it back out in the lot.

I deal with this situation on my 2015 Ford Escape.

The next time around, I'm going to try the K&n oil filter with the 1-inch nut and see if it's any easier 🤣...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back