hood lift support brands

I need to replace the hood lift supports on my 2011 Toyota Avalon. From the dealer they are over $100 each. Rock Auto has:
Tuff brand for $10
Sachs brand for $22
Strongarm for $15
I'm leaning toward the Strongarm.
Does anyone have any recommendations for this part?

I've had a pair of Sachs replacments on the Explorer since this past summer. Drama-free installation and they work so far. No long-term feedback yet.

I usually go with Stabilus or Sachs, although either brand is decent since they're both made by ZF as already pointed out. For most GM applications, I've found the ACDelco variants to be made by ZF as well. Stabilus is usually made in the U.S. - at least all the ones I've bought over the years. Strongarm and Monroe lift supports are usually made in Turkey, not sure about the other brands.

Great thread!!! I am just pricing out liftgate struts for my Trailblazer and had no idea of the brands. Thanks guys!!

I have yet to replace a hood strut or any other lift strut on any of my GM cars dating back to the late 80’s. So whatever brand GM uses is what I’d use.

Stabilus has a plant in Gastonia, NC. Their gas hood struts I just bought for my W210 were made in Germany and were very price competitive.

Another vote for stabilus. They are OEM for Volvo and Mercedes.

Note that vise grips don’t work on the hidden gas struts holding up the tailgate of a station wagon.

Slightly OT but: I needed them for the tailgate of my 93 Aerostar. I cheaped out because I planned on getting rid of it shortly. I used screw type hose clamps up near the top of the assembly where the polished rod entered the piston bore. I made it nice and tight and the rod functioned properly for about a year prior to me junking the vehicle. Flame suit on.

Back