HONDA push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Craftsman with the Honda 160 GCV self propelled did very well. Doesn't burn oil. Has a simple pulley and belt system but the hand control got tiresome. My 2015 Toro 22 inch "Recycler" with the same Honda 160 GCV (but with automatic choke) works great with it's simple pulley system and the Toro "Personal Pace" push bar. The rear wheel driver works best because you can tip the mower up if it bogs. I use the recycling mode but if the grass get's really thick I put on the included plastic gizmo that holds the "door" open and allows the grass to be thrown. I don't use the included bag. Not as much exercise but at least you aren't " bagged " at the end of the mowing. Never had do do any repairs to either mower. Might buy a new belt for the old one. I keep two so the kids can help me out when they visit .
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a top of the line HRX 217. Though I might not get the electric start I’d spend the money again otherwise.

When I bought the dealer was cheaper on one Model and HD was cheaper on another (the electric vs non electric start in this case) The mowers are the same (Honda says this on their website and will say it again if you call) they will also say that the models with “K” are also the same but accommodate differing vendor part numbering requirements.

If I recall correctly some of the lower level self propelled have a set number of speeds (like 3 or 5) and the higher models are “hydrostatic” with variable speeds. At least that was true when I bought mine.

The HRX has a longer warranty and Honda runs promotions with 1-2 year extensions with some regularity.

Pricing being the same, it is probably worth while to buy it from a dealer - you’ll get better service should you need it IME. When I looked a little earlier this year it looked like HD might have stopped caring the plain push mower, and also like the models may have gotten some updates for 18.

Hondas website is actually really informative if you put a little time in.

Self propelled or not is a tough decision. However, you mentioned that you are young and fit. I was too, when I bought my Honda non-self-propelled mower 21 years ago. Now I'm old and fit, and still using the same mower. I don't need a self propelled, but if I had a sloped yard, bigger yard, or had gotten out of shape, I would want the self propelled. In other words, plan for the future...honda mowers last forever.

One more thing. As mentioned above, the double mulching blade is the way to go!

Last edited:
Is it the one with the mulching plug and twin blades you're looking at? I started up this year and this was the only brand new mower I bought. I had my own small push John Deere and bought a second hand etesia pro46 and a second-hand honda hrb423 for stripes (which I only really use on one garden). The new one is my least favorite, I kept having problems starting it up between emptying the bag and it just didn't sound right. I took it back to the dealers and they said that they sorted it but I haven't really used it since other than on my lawn. I also found it difficult to get nice height on some lawns. I load up with the John Deere and the Etesia most days, and the John Deere is just as good as the etesia for collecting wet grass in my opinion so if there was a John Deere wheeled mower in the same price range I would opt for that next time, just my 2cents

I've got an HRX217 MAGA (not kidding) self-propelled 189cc that's more than 15 years old. Not a single problem, except it's a btch to start. Acts like the fuel level is too low in the bowl.

Powerful and quiet. I increased the RPM, to mulch heavy, wet grass.

Worth every dollar. Replaced a Lawn Toy 2-stroke (I love 2T).

5th year on my Honda HRX217VKA - and I'm using it commercially, mowing 15-20 small yards a week with it.
Plus I use it on about 10 other lawns (each week) around the houses and swing sets.

Still going strong, always starts on the first pull, and handles about anything I throw at it.

Last edited:
I have a HRX217 with the plastic deck that is about 5 years old. I spent the extra hundred or so to have the bigger 190cc GCV engine. So far it's been very good. I put Amsoil 5w-40 (DEO) in it every two years or so and have replaced the air filter once. It runs like a dream and will grind up anything I run over provided I remember to sharpen the blades each year. I mulch only. The belt drive transmission is outstanding although I rarely use it and prefer to push it a for the exercise. I also have a 21 year old John Deere JS60 that's been repowered with a GCV160 after the original Briggs L head blew. Same story.

I have a 2003 Honda harmony with the plastic deck and 160 engine. I bought it new as a reconditioned unit. Not sure why it had been returned to the store. It has been bulletproof. I wish I had put an hour meter on it when I bought it, it has alot of use.

Only thing that I have ever had to do is replace the spark plug once about 4 years ago because it started acting up, it was tracking. I think its had 1 air filter, oil change once every year or two with synthetic.

I run non ethanol fuel in it the past few years, but before that it had ethanol fuel in it with no issues. Starts right up every time.

You can push it without using the self propelled feature, mine is a 3 speed. Even the belt is original.

I wish I would have spent the extra money and got one with a blade clutch so it could idle without the blade turning when emptying the bag or traversing my gravel drive but honestly it's so easy to start it's not s big deal.

In my 190 cc Honda push mower with blade clutch I either regular leaded (when I can find it) and treated unleaded gas along with QSUD 10W30 synthetic oil ... Runs great - best mower I ever had !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back