Honda Pilot 2016 Cold engine nocking at low rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like an exhaust leak to me...a knocking sound, but the cause is actually escaping exhaust gas from a bad manifold gasket or bad seal against the head.

Because it only happens when cold, which is when exhaust leaks tend to happen, and because it doesn't go away with increased RPM (like a knock from low oil pressure would as the oil pressure increased), I would have them check for a loose spark plug, or an exhaust manifold leak.

I had the car into the dealership twice already, they did check everything (as they claim they did) and everything checked out ok. I've also had a concern with low coolant level in the expansion tank so they searched for leaks and did system pressure test with no leaks found. I'm not sure what to do next: bring it again? Or leave it as is and drive till it breaks? Really tired and annoyed of dealing with the car issues..

And, btw, I think the car was like that from the day one. I remember noticing some weird knocking/clicking sound when accelerating (cold engine) but it was barely noticeable with closed windows. Now, it is obvious that this sound idling and the sound accelerating are of the same nature.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
And, btw, I think the car was like that from the day one. I remember noticing some weird knocking/clicking sound when accelerating (cold engine) but it was barely noticeable with closed windows. Now, it is obvious that this sound idling and the sound accelerating are of the same nature.

Well, I would bring it back and let them start it up when it's sat overnight. Overnight cold is when you can really hear an exhaust leak. And a stethoscope is key to finding the exact spot.

I understand the frustration with this, but the video and your service records are documentation of a problem while it's under warranty. So, if they don't find it this next time, and it gets worse, you've proven that the problem exists now, and is warrantable...

Thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciated.

Is there a possibility for the sound to be of engine nature? Like rod knock?

Last time I heard knocking sound from the engine was belt tensioner giving up an doing he car had almost 100k...

If you don't car about long term reliability, replacing very expensive engine mounts or possible engine failure out of warranty then no its not required.
The muzzler allows this engine to run as it should and not hobbling around on one shoe like it is now.

I believed that the issue was present with previous Pilot generation and not with current one. Obviously I do care about the car otherwise I wouldn't even bother starting this tread. Lol. Is there any literature on VCM muzzler I can go through?or perhaps some links? Do you have any experience installing it and running on your car? Thank you

You could always rag on it and see if you can get it to break to the dealer has to fix it. Not ideal, but since dealer is giving you the runaround, maybe it's time to give it some gas until the noise worsens... Or goes away.

That definitely is an option although not something I'd normally do. I guess i'll give it another few thousand miles and see what it does. Also, I was planning to run UAO anyways so curious to see what it is like inside that engine.

Can anyone who owns the new pilot check if your car does something similar? so annoying...

My accord V6 has been making that noise for as long as I remember. Its louder and longer in the winter, and disappears after a min or two in summer.

My 2007 accord V6 has been making that noise for as long as I remember. Its louder and longer in the winter, and disappears after a min or two in summer. Its annoying but harmless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back