Honda OEM battery still good after 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the original battery and just had it load tested. The battery is still perfectly functional after 7 years of driving. Of course, the dealership tried to sell me a new battery when I brought it in to have correct the brake indicator light, which didn't turn off until the car was warm up. They charged me almost 70 bucks to just put a floater in there.

Does anyone know who makes battery for Honda Accord 2002 V6? I love to replace it with the same battery if possible.

Last edited:
The OEM used to be Panasonic, not sure if it is still today ... the Panasonic battery in my 94 Acura Integra was still good at the 7 1/2 year mark, I just replaced it because I was nervous it was going to fail.

Curtis,

Won't battery give you warning such as showing signs of being weak before complete failure? A first sign would be hard crank in the morning, especially in freezing temperature. I like to keep this battery as long as it keeps cranking and passing the load test.

Last edited:
I use WalMart batteries, which are fine. Advance Auto are supposed to be good. I just don't like the tiny size of the Honda batteries, they drain too fast.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

There is a DIY check, but since yours passed a load test, no worries.

what is that? multimeter showing 12.5V+??

Had a 2005 Accord battery fail on friends Honda Saturday. He had to get a jump start and then it was just going out as he was driving it home. Everything was shutting off. We dropped by on our way home and found the original battery had removeable caps and one of those green light tubes that indicates specific gravity in one cell, and the green ball was missing. He was surprised that he could check the battery acid level and we found it very low on every cell. He had been charging it for a couple of hours when we got there, but as soon as he turned the key on, the voltage would go from 12.6 down to 8 or so. He later found a battery at Costco for 56 bucks.

I'm thinking it died an early death due to low acid level. He added some water and tried to charge it, but it was already shot. Something was ruined in there. 80k miles and 4 years. And zero corrosion at any connections.

You will probably get some warning before it craters but not much either way.

It seems todays batteries aren't like the yester-year ones where they would crank more slowly and were pretty obvious about it. I've had several in the past 10 years on a variety of cars begin to slow-crank just a bit...like a slight hesitation...before they went out really fast. A cold morning may be too late. If that hesitation happens, replace it immediately.

7+ yr is a long time
thumbsup2.gif
Congrats on that! I can see why you'd want to replace it with the same brand.

The battery in my Saturn was replaced after 7 years, 88k miles.

I'm guessing it was AC Delco?
21.gif

I just recently replaced the OEM battery in my '01 Grand Prix. I figured it would give me a little warning as well but it did not. The battery post actually broke loose from the battery. It went from working perfectly fine to non-functional when I stopped at Tractor Supply after work. Luckily Tractor Supply has batteries and loaned me all the tools I needed to change it out. I've decided not to push a battery again. I always replaced them at 6 years even if they seemed fine in the past. I'll probably do that again from now on, I hate getting stranded.

7 years, you got your money's worth out of it. I would replace it since we are approaching freezing temperatures.

I have seen Honda batteries come from 3 companies:
1. Panasonic, and usually they are found on Honda cars that were made in Japan.
2. Delphi, I see them on newer Odyssey vans.
3. Johnson Controls.
But all 3 never last in Florida, due to heat. 4 years is the maximum you can get from any of them.

Last edited:
10+ years on my car's OEM (Delco) and still firing...Knock on wood.

Probably should get it replaced. But resting voltage is fine and operating voltage is fine. Plus the little green ball is still visible.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use WalMart batteries, which are fine. Advance Auto are supposed to be good. I just don't like the tiny size of the Honda batteries, they drain too fast.

The one on the V6 is huge. I love to get the battery similar to my Bimmer 750il but that wouldn't fit and probably cost a ton since it is an oddly shaped rectangle battery. Personally, I love to have 2 batteries in the car but can't seem to find any shop to install one for me.

By the way, if my 02 V6 Accord was made in Japan, does that mean I won't have transmission problem. All the talks about V6 Honda going dead got me very worry.

Also, does Panasonic still provide battery for Honda. If so, where would I get this battery beside the dealership that charge way too much and may not even give me the right one. I prefer to not mail order battery unless there is a date-code on it.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
By the way, if my 02 V6 Accord was made in Japan, does that mean I won't have transmission problem. All the talks about V6 Honda going dead got me very worry.

Also, does Panasonic still provide battery for Honda. If so, where would I get this battery beside the dealership that charge way too much and may not even give me the right one. I prefer to not mail order battery unless there is a date-code on it.

I don't believe any of the V6 Accord's of that vintage were produced in Japan. Check your Vin #. If the first letter is J, than you have a Japanese made vehicle. Anything else is USA.

M1 - Start looking for a new battery. You have the luxury of finding a good one for a good price, at your own pace.
But Your present one is nearing the end of it's life span.
Yes it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back