Honda eu3000 generator running with 5 oz oil

I share this as a testimony to Honda engine durability and my stupidity. I have a Honda EU3000 since new with 500 hrs,. I always used Mobil 1 0W40 changed every 100 hrs. Recently on a camping trip powering my RV, the generator kept shutting off on the low oil switch. Just prior to the trip I changed to fresh oil and adjusted the valves. This was the cause of low oil. The valve cover gasket was out of place. There was no evidence of leaking outside the generator. In my ignorance I assumed the low oil switch to be defective since my log splitter just had its low oil switch stop working. In my ignorance I unplugged the switch and kept running the generator. When I returned home, I went to change the oil and there was only 5 oz in the engine. The oil was extremely dark. This was 100 hrs of run time approximately 8 days after I disconnected the switch. The engine runs and sound great. Powers the RV just fine including the A/C. I ask myself how is tis possible that the engine did not get destroyed? Moral of the story, assume nothing.

I have 2 Hondas and 2 Yamahas. I can understand how that would happen as both are kinda tight to work on internally.

Why didn't you check the oil level if it was shutting off. It would only take a half min for most of the oil to drain down so it wouldn't inconvenience you too much. If the level was full then yeah it's the switch. The switch failed on mine and wouldn't let it start even though it was full. I still haven't fixed it but i just check the level.

Why didn't you check the oil level if it was shutting off. It would only take a half min for most of the oil to drain down so it wouldn't inconvenience you too much. If the level was full then yeah it's the switch. The switch failed on mine and wouldn't let it start even though it was full. I still haven't fixed it but i just check the level.
You are correct. I explained that in my post. I would love to know if that oil helped it survive with only 5 oz. or would it have failed with something of lesser quality.

Yeah the low oil shutdown has saved tons of engines. I had a Honda GX390 that would burn up all it's oil and shutdown in about 40 minutes. Bought mine for $50 as it burned a lot of oil, eventually I rebuilt it, burns almost no oil now.

Yeah the low oil shutdown has saved tons of engines. I had a Honda GX390 that would burn up all it's oil and shutdown in about 40 minutes. Bought mine for $50 as it burned a lot of oil, eventually I rebuilt it, burns almost no oil now.
Being as the Honda GX390 in all it's forms, is the most robust, conventional single cylinder, OPE engine ever made, one that burns oil must have been really used hard. There are examples of this engine with over 10,000 operating hours, zero internal failures.

Back