Fuel Smell after a drive

Hi all,

I recently replaced the leaking fuel filler neck on my '14 Expedition due to a persistent EVAP code, fuel wetness inside the body panel under the inlet and of course a fuel smell. The complete saga is here (https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/p0442-and-capless-fuel-filler.372479/)

I cautiously filled it up from about 1/2 full to full today. Set the pump on the lowest setting and got underneath with a flashlight to see if I could see any leaks and it all seemed to stay dry. Drove about 30 miles and waited to see if the CEL or Fuel Inlet warning would come on and it seems those are all clear for now. However I noticed on a later trip that there's a fuel smell, not in any particular area near the back of the vehicle directly after a drive.

What do I need to check next? The filler neck hose clamps and vent tube part of the filler all seem tight. I tried to look around underneath for a charcoal canister for other associated EVAP equipment underneath but wasn't able to locate it.

You might've got raw gasoline sucked into the charcoal canister. I don't know if they come apart. But you might be able to unhook inlet / outlet hoses and use air hose to blow gas out. Might have to buy a new one if it's too bad.

I had a similar problem (posted on BITOG) with my VW Alltrack. Pulled into the garage and gas smell was VERY noticeable. I finally localized the smell as coming from the tailpipe and realized that it had to be from a leaking injector. Ran a bottle of PEA cleaner through on next tank of gas and the problem was solved.

Smell inside or outside the vehicle?

If you still/again have a leak, should again get an evap code. I don't know exactly when you completed the repair but I wonder if it's just residual smell from something that was soaked in gas from the prior leak.

Unless I'm missing something, don't see how what has happened, would cause fuel to get into the charcoal canister. If you had overfilled past the capacity of the tank trying to see if the filler neck leaked, then sure, but otherwise?

Smell inside or outside the vehicle?

If you still/again have a leak, should again get an evap code. I don't know exactly when you completed the repair but I wonder if it's just residual smell from something that was soaked in gas from the prior leak.

Unless I'm missing something, don't see how what has happened, would cause fuel to get into the charcoal canister. If you had overfilled past the capacity of the tank trying to see if the filler neck leaked, then sure, but otherwise?
Smell is outside the vehicle, generally in the rear. Can be either right or left side. I swear I could even smell it near where the bumper cover meets the rear hatch.

I replaced the filler neck on Saturday. Filled it up carefully on Sunday morning and drove about 30 miles. Definitely had some leaking that had dripped down onto the inside rear quarter panel and frame rail. I tired my best to clean it all up. The smell isn't persistent and I don't think it's a residual smell for that reason.

I've never over filled the fuel tank but suspect that maybe previous owners had and that could be wreaking havoc on the EVAP system? Just speculation.

Wondering also if it hadn't been venting properly before (venting through leaky filler neck) that now that it can build pressure in the tank, maybe venting to atmosphere has revealed oversaturation in the charcoal canister? I'm jumping to some conclusions here but there's no evidence, again at least on the back half of the vehicle as to any wet fuel leakage.

I'm still not sure where the charcoal canister even is, I think I saw something that said it was up behind the spare tire but I haven't had opportunity to check.

Okay well the fuel smells seems to have subsided, maybe some residual from the leaking filler neck. No return of the check fuel inlet message but lo and behold the p0442 small EVAP leak code has returned. I tested the purge solenoid, no vacuum pulling at cold idle. I pulled the vent solenoid and checked it, it is normal open and closes with 12v applied.

I think the next step is a smoke test. I'm tempted by this $100 unit on Amazon that has a built in compressor and runs off of your battery.

Back