Honda 0w16

Status
Not open for further replies.
By 2020, they will be putting add packs in Mazola!
grin.gif

Looks like Kendall. I didn't know Kendall made 0w16
crazy2.gif

AAP is the only store that carries 0w16 at a reasonable price. It's their house brand CQ, made by Amalie. They do include the 0w16 in their oil change deals with the CQ synthetic

Valvoline also makes a 0w16, but it only seems to be available at Napa, at least for the time being, and it's $9/qt and not included in the Synpower sales they run.

The only car in the US that calls for only 0w16 at this time is the 2018 Camry

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
I was told the FF in our 18 fit is 0-16. Im curious about the noack

I found the 2018 FIt owners manual in both PDF and regular web/HTML form.

It says both 0w16 and 0w20 are acceptable
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I don't know why Dr. Haas has not yet put a 0W-16 in his Ferrari to try to convince us all that we are running oils that are too thick.

...and I'd been searching for a xW20 UOA on his Ferrari, but ........
tired.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks like Kendall. I didn't know Kendall made 0w16
crazy2.gif

AAP is the only store that carries 0w16 at a reasonable price. It's their house brand CQ, made by Amalie. They do include the 0w16 in their oil change deals with the CQ synthetic

Valvoline also makes a 0w16, but it only seems to be available at Napa, at least for the time being, and it's $9/qt and not included in the Synpower sales they run.

The only car in the US that calls for only 0w16 at this time is the 2018 Camry

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
I was told the FF in our 18 fit is 0-16. Im curious about the noack

I found the 2018 FIt owners manual in both PDF and regular web/HTML form.

It says both 0w16 and 0w20 are acceptable
smile.gif

I don't think the engine could tell if you had a 5/20 or even a 5/30.

I wouldn’t use it in anything that doesn’t call for it in the owners manual. I believe there is an increased flow requirement for adequate bearing protection with 0w16 and thinner. Variable flow oil pumps. I remember seeing a graphic posted with flow at different RPM in one of these 0w16 motors

We are looking closely at the mouse that is the SAE grade number and ignoring the elephant that is the reality of the viscosity of the 0W-16 grade.
The 0W-16 grade has a minimum HTHSv of 2.3 versus that of 0W-20 at 2.6, a difference that is pretty large.
Still, the KV100 numbers are actually pretty close with the upper end of the 0W-16 grade overlapping the lower end of the 0W-20 grade.
I'd therefore be inclined to think that a 0W-16 grade oil could serve well in many 0W-20 applications.
I may try this myself when I find the inevitable clearance of 0W-16 for a couple of bucks a jug.
Thinner oil does equal better fuel economy and even if the difference is hardly noticed by most users it is real.
There is also no point in having any engine outlast the vehicle in which it's installed at a greater cost in fuel used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back