Home products to clean car seat fabric

What would work well to clean dingy black cloth seats on the dart I bought. I have vacuumed and used tuff stuff but they still look dingy. What would bring them back to life? Is there an at home brew I could make to make them clean looking again?

I think that pictures may help us give you better answers.

I have used many household cleaners with decent success. However you'll need to do it in the summertime, dependent on where in the country you live, so that the fabric can dry completely. I have used home carpet cleaner or carpet stain remover, or a very small amount of dish soap in a bucket of HOT water or even white vinegar/water mix. My wife is a Pinterest browser. You may find something there.

Last edited:
What would work well to clean dingy black cloth seats on the dart I bought. I have vacuumed and used tuff stuff but they still look dingy. What would bring them back to life? Is there an at home brew I could make to make them clean looking again?
Chemical guys lightning fast stain extractor. Used it to clean puke stains, makeup stains, coffee stains, you name it. Spray concentrate on the seats, scrub it with a sponge or wet microfiber cloth, suck up the water with a shop vac.

Using a carpet steam cleaner will do wonders. Another great product is TUFF STUFF in the can. It cleans very well.

a private detailer i asked told me 50-50 liquid tide + water, scrub both ways with a sponge until saturated + vac as dry as possible with a strong wet-dry vac+ depending on your climate let dry in the sun or use fans for faster drying. i did my very light tan VW seats as well as the rest of the fabric interior yearly for 10 years + seats looked new at trade!!! BEWARE most seats are foam + drying takes TIME, its cheep but labor intensive!

The seats on my Dart have small open surface cells that dirt collects in. Seemingly an extractor and the Resolve treatment is the only the method that brought them back looking like new.

Foaming upholstery or carpet cleaner, applied sparingly, wet vac vacuumed off, lather (no rinse) repeat. You want multiple passes rather than more cleaner so it doesn't flush the dirt down into the foam as much.

Last pass I'd use a "little" straight water on a sponge, vac that out, then fan dry (reduces mildew) , then scotchgard/etc fabric protector will not only protect but also bring a little deeper color out.

Back