Sunglass coating

Anybody considered using one of these ceramic detailers on their sunglasses? My polarized glass and plastic lenses seem impossible to clean, Bought a brand new pr of RayBan aviators. The optical store adjusted them and cleaned them with a solution and soft cloth. Out in the sun I could see the whole lens smeared. washed them at home with Dawn(weak) and blotted them dry and they are still smeared.
Think ceramic coating would help??

people are going to flame me on this, but....
my last few pairs of glasses have been nigh on impossible to get actually clean. tried all the things you're supposed to use, and the ones you're not.

the only thing that has really worked for me, is store brand glasses cleaner spray, the one for anti-reflective coatings, not the ones with anti-fog stuff.
(since I work for Meijer, I buy their brand, up in HBC near the contact lens stuff/eye drops/reading glasses.)
https://www.meijer.com/shopping/pro...e-eyeglass-lens-cleaner-8-oz/70882094362.html
I'm sure other retailers have their own version.

give both sides of both lenses a liberal spray, and wipe 'em down with....plain old paper towels.

works better than soap& water, windex, the same spray with a microfiber lens cloth... and I have yet to scratch a lens.

I use clean microfiber towels that have never been washed in fabric softener.
1: Rinse in warm water.
2: Apply 100% Plain Ivory Liquid dish soap and rub well with my fingers.
3: Rinse thoroughly in warm water.
4: Dry with clean microfiber towel.
I never have problems with smearing.

I haven't coated any of my sunglasses but I've found Maui Jims to be extremely prone to gathering streaks. I just buy the Sunglass Hut cleaning kits and use the free fluid refills. I only use the cleaner every couple of weeks and just use the microfiber cloth on them for regular usage. I don't know how any product otherwise would react to the lenses and would be concerned with damaging my $190 sunglasses.

The smearing usually comes from hand lotion that the person cleaning the glasses had applied beforehand. It is recommended to wash your hands first before cleaning your glasses.

The hand lotion residue gets onto the microfiber cloth you use and then the smearing is the result.
Costco eye departments used to use those microfiber lens cloth but have switched to soft cloth ones. But they use them on a lot of glasses.

Anybody considered using one of these ceramic detailers on their sunglasses? My polarized glass and plastic lenses seem impossible to clean, Bought a brand new pr of RayBan aviators. The optical store adjusted them and cleaned them with a solution and soft cloth. Out in the sun I could see the whole lens smeared. washed them at home with Dawn(weak) and blotted them dry and they are still smeared.
Polycarbonate lenses are hard to clean, especially if they have AR coatings. Hydrophobic coatings also seem problematic on polycarbonate lenses. You can try Plexus. The coatings come off after a while and you can polish them off and remove fine scratches with a plastic polish like PolyWatch. For applications like driving where good vision is paramount, I use only sunglasses with tempered glass lenses. Serengeti sunglasses are very good.

I use plexus on my eye glasses and also any plastic item like the info screen in car and headlight lens and instrument panel plastic lens cover...It works great

people are going to flame me on this, but....
my last few pairs of glasses have been nigh on impossible to get actually clean. tried all the things you're supposed to use, and the ones you're not.

the only thing that has really worked for me, is store brand glasses cleaner spray, the one for anti-reflective coatings, not the ones with anti-fog stuff.
(since I work for Meijer, I buy their brand, up in HBC near the contact lens stuff/eye drops/reading glasses.)
https://www.meijer.com/shopping/pro...e-eyeglass-lens-cleaner-8-oz/70882094362.html
I'm sure other retailers have their own version.

give both sides of both lenses a liberal spray, and wipe 'em down with....plain old paper towels.

works better than soap& water, windex, the same spray with a microfiber lens cloth... and I have yet to scratch a lens.
You are very lucky.

It sounds weird but I use a product called CatCrap really. I find it at ace hardware. All of the SCCA drivers swear by this stuff. I will say it keeps my lenses clean and has anti fog properties as well.

It sounds weird but I use a product called CatCrap really. I find it at ace hardware. All of the SCCA drivers swear by this stuff. I will say it keeps my lenses clean and has anti fog properties as well.
No SH$$.... :ROFLMAO:

Cat Crap is pretty good. I use it sometimes as well as C Clear. I especially like the C Clear because they're a military contractor and they will not sell their product to anyone we are currently at conflict with.

Going to have to try either Cat Crap or C Clear. Any of those available at the local store or are they mail order only?

Last edited:
I wear glasses and I hate smears. Here is my method. I have the eyeglass "microfiber" cleaning cloths. I get them from Amazon. I use two cloths. I spritz one, not heavily at all with eyeglass cleaner. Only enough to grab the dirt etc on the lens. Maybe one or two pumps. I clean both lenses as best I can. Then I use the other dry cloth to buff. No smears, streaks, etc. This method works for me.

Back