hmm just got a call from my own number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every day about the same time I get a sales call from the same area code and exchange as mine...am now worried that my phone's memory will be completely taken up by blocked numbers....

What gets me is when the voice is a giggly girl who says "oh high it's me" or "oh hi I've been trying to get through" etc. I was raised with manners including identifying myself in the very first sentence.

I respond, quite sternly, with "who is this" and make a very, very quick judgement based on that.

My parents, however, are rude and screen calls via caller ID. I use random calling cards, work phones etc and they blow me off if they don't see a known number. Caller ID does not bring any worthwhile etiquette, and erodes existing. I don't want people to start talking to me without proper introduction and it bugs me when I call someone and they just "start on in"

/soapbox

Someone called once and said they were coming to get me late on night. I just grabbed my. 357 and went to bed. Guess if they were coming they would not have called ahead lol.

Over the past year or so I've been getting a lot of spam calls, and also got one with my phone number on the CID. I think they use phony CID numbers with the same exchange and area code most of the time to make it appear to be from someone in my area. Obviously, the no call list is worthless, but this tactic pretty much renders Nomorobo ineffective as well, assuming they generate a new fake number with each call.

It's simple. Devices that allow you to "spoof" phone numbers serve no legit purpose,except perhaps in law enforcement. JMO; They should be outlawed for private use accompanied by stiff fines for violation. [/quote]

Unfortunately, the technology that allows "spoofing" of telephone numbers is the same technology that supports internet-based telephone service. So either you outlaw all phone services EXCEPT the local utility, or you accept that there is nothing that can be done.

Me? I create an entry in my cellphone's address book, "Scam Telemarketer" and copy every number I receive to that address book entry.* That way if they repeat call the Caller ID field comes up "Scam Telemarketer". I also set up a custom ringtone of "none" so there is no ring, but having it come up in the Caller ID field is important so that you don't accidentally answer the phone when they are calling and you intended to make a call at that time.

* I have no idea how it works on a "dumb phone" or an Android smartphone, but my iPhone has hundreds of numbers in that field, and is showing no signs of running out of space or memory or slowdowns for the Address Book app. And it's an old iPhone (5s).

Easy Just don't answer the phone unless you see the caller Id is for you. Plain and simple.
If there threat calls , call the cops simple...
K night have a good night talking about oil.

Still running into the IRS scam. Last one was just using a robotic voice, not even the indian scammers as usual. I couldn't figure it out as they left a number to call in their voicemail. I didn't bother calling the number, I just blocked it. They called about 4 times that day. Maybe the number they leave is fake and they just hope you answer the phone once you know you're in big trouble and have 4 warrants against you and are about to be arrested. They gave up after one day. Or I'm about to get arrested any minute now. But that was a few days ago.

There is a very nasty one going on in Canada now, mostly Toronto and Vancouver area. They target Chinese nationals studying in Canada, people who have a limited knowledge of how things work and perhaps a distrust or fear of authority. They call a student in Canada and then a parent of a student back in China claiming the student has been kidnapped and to send money to [some account] for a ransom.

They call the student and suggest some bogus "investigation" and to not answer their phone unless from the "investigator's #" and warn any text or eMail may be faked. So the student basically cuts themselves off from their parents.

The parents, meanwhile, are told to pay a ransom, and not being able to contact their child, panic and pay out.

Note that due to the unique names of Chinese students, and the fact that anyone that can afford to send their child to study in Canada is obviously of some means, it's quite profitable. The success rate is low, but it's greater than zero.

Anyone here ever get a scammer text message?

I'm surprised scammers aren't sending fake IRS letters in the mail that get people to call a fake number or go to some fake website. Too many [censored] scammers these days!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I'm surprised scammers aren't sending fake IRS letters in the mail that get people to call a fake number or go to some fake website. Too many [censored] scammers these days!

I think it's a lot cheaper to just call than to spend the money on a stamp. Plus they're usually in India and their English is horrible. Mail is probably trackable same with a website, a faked number is pretty hard to track once they hang up.

Agreed, call spoofing technology should be only available for use by law enforcement and even then they should have a court order. 99% of the time this spoof technology is just being used by phone scamming crooks and dirtbags to try and commit crimes and bother people with their constant calls. I use call block app on our cell phones andour home phone we only use to call out and the Panasonic blocker holds about 2000 blocked call before it fills up. It fills up about every 3-4 years. Sadly, long as even .5% of people fall for these scams these crooks will keep calling. Even though probably 99% of us block, ignore or mess with them , they do not care they just keep calling thousands of numbers a day until they find some gullible sap who falls for it and pays them big $$. For now blocking and or ignoring them is my strategy.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes!
And it had big boobs....
They where just targeting my google voice #.

I wonder if they just call randomly a whole domain of phone #'s or they are using a list generated from the hackers that worked during the various major hacks: Home Depot, Target, Experian, the big marketing agency working for banks, DOL, etc etc.....

Originally Posted By: azjake
It's simple. Devices that allow you to "spoof" phone numbers serve no legit purpose,except perhaps in law enforcement. JMO; They should be outlawed for private use accompanied by stiff fines for violation.

It does not work in other countries...

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
so what is this all about

27.gif
It happened to me once,ends up it was me calling me from another dimension to warn myself of.......

Any time I receive a call with the same area code and exchange as my number, I know it's a scammer and I don't answer. Funny how they do that to fool me into thinking it's someone I know, when it actually has the exact opposite effect. I don't personally know anyone with the same exchange as my phone number, or if I do, their number is already programmed in my phone so their name pops up.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Agreed, call spoofing technology should be only available for use by law enforcement and even then they should have a court order. 99% of the time this spoof technology is just being used by phone scamming crooks and dirtbags to try and commit crimes and bother people with their constant calls. I use call block app on our cell phones andour home phone we only use to call out and the Panasonic blocker holds about 2000 blocked call before it fills up. It fills up about every 3-4 years. Sadly, long as even .5% of people fall for these scams these crooks will keep calling. Even though probably 99% of us block, ignore or mess with them , they do not care they just keep calling thousands of numbers a day until they find some gullible sap who falls for it and pays them big $$. For now blocking and or ignoring them is my strategy.

I don't think you understand how call spoofing works. It's as easy as putting in your own mac address. Basically there's no verification of the number you're call from. It's like putting the correct return address on an envelope. Technically you can use any number you want besides your own, there's no verification method by the phone company to make sure it's a real number so any kind of voice over IP type software could have an option for you to put in whatever number you like. They'd have to update the entire phone system to make it like SSL where the identity of the caller is confirmed. No will, desire or money to do it.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I got a call earlier today from a very helpful gentleman, who even though he clearly did not have full command of the English language, was very insistent on helping me with a computer problem. I can't tell you how relieved I was to receive this call, as I didn't even know I had a computer problem!!

After much discussion, it was determined that I should gave him full access to my banking accounts, and put him in my will for all remaining assets.

What a fine, selfless, upstanding man he was..
I got a call from a dude that said Microsoft had spotted a problem with my computer. Thought I would rattle him by saying that was very strange because I have a MAC. Didn't phase him a bit and he insisted they see MAC problems too.

Just my guess but I think these scam operators tend to focus on calling one area or city. I have friends and relatives here in Lincoln and Omaha area and they get the same scam calls as I do at about the same time period. The irs calls are winding down and now we get lots of the "card services calls or calls that use USAA or Chase banks or bank America real customer numbers. I called both Chase and Bank of america and their people said they have been aware of it for years but not much they can do since these pukes are overseas. Only thing I do is block them, I have messed with them or cussed them out good but they do not care... that is why they are criminals. They just dial up the next # on the list. These tele scammers are about the most annoying crooks on the planet. They have been running the same scams for probably 30 years now. No one would miss telemarketing calls. I consider 100% of them to be scamers and crooks and I treat them as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back