Highest HTHS of Energy Conserving Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, what is the highest HT/HS in an off the shelf Energy Conserving GF-4 oil?
dunno.gif

My best guess is the 3.2 HTHS mark, such as Citgo 10W-30 synthetic, which is GF-4 & 3.2 HTHS.

The newer M1 10W-30 High Mileage synthetic is 3.66, but it meets only the GF-3 cert.

Not sure about GF4, but M1 0w-40 was energy conserving in the past (is it still?). Mobil list HTHS 0w-40 is 3.6, but there was an article posted here that listed it as 3.9. I think Mobil is conservative due the shearing that takes place.

Quote:

What the [censored] happened to you Paul, I thought you said Energy Conserving oils were for Girly Men?
confused.gif

Oh I'm okay. Just looking for more reasons to hate energy conserving oils.
laugh.gif

Quote:

I thought MaxLife Synthetic 10W-30 was around 3.6.

Yes, that's what Valvoline told me and it is GF-4, but it's not Energy Conserving rated.

They also told me that Synpower 10w30 is 3.0 HT/HS, which really suprised me (I expected something more like 3.2 or 3.3) so I decided go to for the Maxlife Synthetic and skip the BOGOF deal on Synpower. In fact, I just sold m 11 quarts of Synpower 30 weight yesterday. I did buy two quarts of Synpower at AA on the BOBOF, but these two quarts are 20w50, which I am sure is quite robust.

Go with Redline 5W30 it will conserve energy even though it is not certified and has a high HTHS. In spirt this is as good as it gets even though technicaly it is not a certifed Energy Conserveing oil!

Pardon my ignorance perhaps, but what evidence supports this JohnBrowning? I must say I haven't been eyeing the "Energy Conserving" ratings with much persuasion.

Well have you ever ran a Redline oil? They have so much moly in them that in spite of them being a bit more visous and haveing higher thennormal HTHS for their grade they always turn in great MPG numbers. Now this is in relationship to much thinner lower HTHS fuly certified API rated Energy Conserveing I and II oils. Redline 5W30 will often rev more freely and turn in better MPG numbers then M1 5W30 as an example.

Quote:

Well have you ever ran a Redline oil? They have so much moly in them that in spite of them being a bit more visous and haveing higher thennormal HTHS for their grade they always turn in great MPG numbers. Now this is in relationship to much thinner lower HTHS fuly certified API rated Energy Conserveing I and II oils. Redline 5W30 will often rev more freely and turn in better MPG numbers then M1 5W30 as an example.

offtopic.gif
Redline is the only oil I could ever feel the the difference when dumped it in. Id does seem to make an engine free reving and it turns in great mileage. I stopped using it after reading some uoa's on this site and AAP stopped stocking it.

Just to show I walk the talk, I sold my 11 quarts of Synpower and bought 6 more quarts of Maxlife Synthetic. Then I took 8 quarts of Maxlife Synthetic SL and added some PCMO additive to bring the zinc up to 1200 ppm to make my own sort of HDEO out of it. Now it is ready to run in the motorhome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back