High RPMs on freeway. Toyota 4 cylinder longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking if it can’t keep up with modern traffic, that I should start looking at getting a different vehicle. That’s the thought going through my mind, but yes, my finances won’t be looking good until the end of this year. I got a lot of debt I am paying off aggressively. I am just not comfortable driving a car that was designed for 55mph roads and can’t handle today’s speeds. But if my understanding is incorrect, as some of you suggest. Than I’ll just try to get over it.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Do you guys think my concern about this vehicle’s longevity is unfounded?
Completely unfounded, IMO. Find something else to worry about.
smile.gif

Ok. Sounds like I am overthinking it. Just maintain it, and should give me more years of service. It’s done fine so far, and I guess Japanese engines are like this normally. I am worrying too much. Thanks people.

Lol. This is kind of a funny topic.

How do you think vehicles survived before the dawn of overdrive???

My dinosaur V8 pickup truck with a 4.10 rear and no overdrive spins 3000 rpm at 60mph. It has 80k miles on it, engine never opened up. It'll do 65-70 all day, happily.

Overthinking it is right.

I guess Japanese engines are like this normally.
Not just Japanese engines, either. I've seen plenty of European engines turning pretty high RPMs as well, especially when equipped with a manual trans. Even my 3.0 I6 in the 530i turns about 3,000 rpm at 75 mph. Not as high as your 4-cylinder, but pretty high for a 6-cylinder.

It was pretty normal for those 4 bangers to run like that. We used to own a Mitsubishi Expo with the 1.8 and a 4 speed auto. Going over mountain passes like the Siskyous I had it in third gear.

It had over 250k before the transmission went.

Every engine is made to rev. It's not reserved for Japanese engines only. The only thing the 4k RPM cruising hurts is gas mileage. The engine, if the oil level is monitored, will actually benefit immensely from such runs.

Lots of oil burning problems and carbon deposits in today's engines are partially caused by low RPM operation pretty much all the time to boost fuel economy.

I would count how many shifts the transmission does and make sure its grabbing all the gears it is designed to (4speed auto). This a free diagnostic that is easy to perform.

If that is all good, I would run at least a 5w30 if not a 5w40 to give that added bit of protection for the higher rpms and drive it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I would count how many shifts the transmission does and make sure its grabbing all the gears it is designed to (4speed auto). This a free diagnostic that is easy to perform.

If that is all good, I would run at least a 5w30 if not a 5w40 to give that added bit of protection for the higher rpms and drive it.

5 speed manual, read the thread next time.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
Lol. This is kind of a funny topic.
How do you think vehicles survived before the dawn of overdrive???

I think the OP/Kurtatron, is a bit younger guy, and this may be his "better" car.
The first car I owned, I was more concerned with keeping it clean, inside and outside... Then I learned there is oil, oil filter, trans oil, windshield fluid, tires, brake pads and brake rotors, windshield wipers, door hinges, keeping your lights clean and bulbs working, etc etc

This is why BITOG is a big learning platform for beginners. Also is better when they ask since they got the courage to ask and also want to learn more...

Originally Posted By: Number_35
First of all, I covet your vehicle - I always loved those Previas, especially the early ones ('91?) with the 5-speed manual. They have the reputation here as being one of the most durable minivans of all time. (The other longevity champs are mostly RWD as well.)

I didn't know the Previa was geared that low - those revs sound really high. The engine is the 2.4 l, correct? Is it automatic? If so, are you sure it's shifting into 4th (O.D.)? (I just reread your post - you mentioned 5th gear, so your van must have coveted manual, and obviously you're in high gear.)

By comparison, our '90 MPV (2.6 l w/ 5-speed manual) ran at 2500 RPM @ 100 kph (62 MPH), which extrapolates to about 2800 @ 70 MPH, and 3000 RPM @ 75 MPH.

Our '97 MPV (3.0 l w/ 4-speed auto.) runs at about 2250 RPM @ 100 kph.

Our '09 Mazda 5 (2.3 l w/ 5-speed manual) runs at about 2700 RPM @ 100 kph.

I had read somewhere that Toyota reckoned that their engines ran at maximum efficiency at about half of redline, and at one time geared their cars accordingly, such that the engine would spin at half redline @ 55 MPH.

Be aware also that analogue tachs tend to read high - the actual RPMs may be 10% or more lower than indicated. Do you have a ScanGauge you could compare to?

What oil grade does Toyota spec for the Previa? It's too old for xW-20, so I would guess they spec'd 10W-30 down to 0 F, and 5W-30 below that, correct? I think you'd be fine with a stout 10W-30. Others here, far more informed than I am, can recommend a thick 10W-30.

Thanks haha. I have pretty much exactly what you mentioned. It’s a 91 5 speed. It’s specced for a 10w 30. I use redline 5w 30. Would that be a problem?

I would bet it will be perfectly fine for a long time with a robust 5W-30. Red Line certainly has a good reputation. As others have mentioned, rust would be a concern, but if it's not rusty at this point, and if you're only using in the summer, you've got a real keeper there.

My 1986 2.2 turbo is geared like that. Built in the 55mph days. The speed limit here is 80 and mine is still going. Seems to run ok at 3.5 to 4k rpm, but it's so old I prefer not to do it too often or for too long.

My Honda S2000 turns similar RPM at highway speeds. It's annoying at times. However, it does not seem to affect engine life one bit. S2000's last nearly forever, even running to 9000 RPM regularly.

I suspect RPM is a non issue.

I suspect poor maintenance is often the real issue.

Choose a quality oil, change it regularly, it really is that simple.

My concern is noise.
Back in 1992 I traded in my 1986 Acura Integra for a 1992 GSR version.
It literally drove me nuts on the Interstate with the drone.
I think it was 4K RPM at 70 mph. I unloaded it quickly

Originally Posted By: Zee09
My concern is noise.

Wise decision.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Slow down. Let them go around you. Plenty of trucks out there governed to 62 MPH and you can hook up with one of them. Fast traffic needs to do the work, not the slow guys ...

Always wise comments.
I do 5-7 mph over the limit often and I'm the one slowing down traffic.
in the end we always end up at the same red light
smile.gif

IMO the 2.4L is a bit big to be spinning those RPMs, usually it's more of a small engine thing but 2TZ 2.4 is an oversqaure engine with an 86mm stroke so it's not as bad as say an undersquare AZ or AR at 4k+. Why worry

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Zee09
My concern is noise.

Wise decision.

95hp/l 8k redline 25 years ago, but it sure was no Buick on the interstate. I'd love to have one though, make some vtec noise around the cones at autocross.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Slow down. Let them go around you. Plenty of trucks out there governed to 62 MPH and you can hook up with one of them. Fast traffic needs to do the work, not the slow guys ...

I have similar concerns, (which MIGHT be a bit more justified by my ancient 3-cyl) so that's what I do.

Caught some flak for it when it came up recently on here, IIRC.

Also sometimes get aggressively tailgaited by trucks that could quite easily pass me, but I dunno if that's likely in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back