High mileage oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
IN another time zone,,,like the 40s and 50s, 40,000 was high mileage,,,,remember.

And what's interesting is that the most reliable brands today are the ones specifying the thinnest oils.

Yeah i'd like to see some evidence behind blanket statements like that.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Yeah i'd like to see some evidence behind blanket statements like that.

Aren't Toyota and Honda corporation vehicles consistently the most reliable?

I guess it's the idea of using a chemical solution for a mechanical problem. If it works a little bit for a little while that's good enough because there would be oil used anyhow.

Hey, bbhero! I thought you were looking for a new car. If so, how's it going?

The name isn't necessarily the game.
Some HM oils have unusually good add packs, like Defy and the old Maxlife SB. These are oils that may exceed current API additive levels and that may not be ILSAC compliant and are hence less volatile and may offer greater wear protection in any engine.
There are others like M1 HM 10W-30 that offer Euro levels of HTHS viscosity along with no starburst claim and higher than current API ZDDP levels.
You run Red Line, which is far closer to an HM oil than it is to an API and ILSAC compliant oil, so maybe you've been running an HM oil all along.
Like I wrote above, the name isn't necessarily the game.

Hey my friend Oneyejack. Nah I am not looking for a new car. Pretty pleased with my Nissan Altima 3.5. 191k miles and running like a top hauling rear end good. I plan on keeping this car for hopefully 300k miles plus... I do need a new CV axle on the right side and replace the CVT fluid coming up soon, new spark plugs at 205k miles, and new two tires coming up... A lot of work to be done plus more as well... But I really enjoy the car.
I hope that you are doing good given everything. You are a tough hombre and someone that I greatly respect.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm working hard at it every day because I know a lot more about being alive than I do about being dead. All that corpsman training in the Navy is being put to good use.

I guess we both have our struggles but I prefer to think of them as adventures and I know you have similar ideas. No pity party for us.

Back to HM oil. I think the bar should be set when oil consumption becomes a problem and not some mileage number. An oil solution is worth a try. It might even help to narrow down the real problem. I went through it with my Civic and the valve seals. Then came the overhaul in the driveway because of visible smoke and that failed it for California smog. It's all done now at 400K heading to 440K now and that will take me to 500K. Not too bad for a cheap rice maker.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Thanks for the kind words. I'm working hard at it every day because I know a lot more about being alive than I do about being dead. All that corpsman training in the Navy is being put to good use.

I guess we both have our struggles but I prefer to think of them as adventures and I know you have similar ideas. No pity party for us.

Back to HM oil. I think the bar should be set when oil consumption becomes a problem and not some mileage number. An oil solution is worth a try. It might even help to narrow down the real problem. I went through it with my Civic and the valve seals. Then came the overhaul in the driveway because of visible smoke and that failed it for California smog. It's all done now at 400K heading to 440K now and that will take me to 500K. Not too bad for a cheap rice maker.

Did high mileage help at all with the valve seals?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Did high mileage help at all with the valve seals?

My first attempt at stopping the smoking when slowing down was to go straight to the valve seals. It turns out that the biggest contributor was the failing oil control rings which led to an overhaul. It was a sad day because everything else in the 400K+ engine was in great shape. There were even faint hone pattern marks in the cylinder walls and the exhaust valves did not need to be replaced, just resurfaced along with the seats. The cylinder head was absolutely flat and when taking a slim surface cut it never even left a witness mark.

HM oil certainly has its place especially if the car is not a "keeper" and you're going to sell or trade it. You just have to have realistic expectations.

Since I purchased the 84 Civic new and consider it a "life long keeper" I did not mess with HM oil.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I consider anything over 150k to be high mileage. The 75k number is very odd to me.

Marketing.

I have 146,000 on a 2008 F150 4.6 and it doesn't consume a drop. Haven't tried H.M. oil yet.

Engine is a 5.4 out of a 1997 F150.

I wonder how many miles were on it when pulled?

I don't even bother paying attention to the "high mileage" moniker and run it in new vehicles. I like Valvoline Syn ML personally, but would do the same with any quality HM without a second thought.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I consider anything over 150k to be high mileage. The 75k number is very odd to me.

Marketing.

I have 146,000 on a 2008 F150 4.6 and it doesn't consume a drop. Haven't tried H.M. oil yet.

Engine is a 5.4 out of a 1997 F150.

I wonder how many miles were on it when pulled?

I have a 99 Tahoe (132k) that hasn't had a hm yet and a 02 Civic (203k) that hasn't had a hm oil yet. Both are running Pennzoil Ultra with no ill effects. Tahoe burns 0 oil and the Civic burns a tad but nothing to worry about. It's all in marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back