High Mileage Oil - Opinions and Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone its been a while since I have been on the site and I'm a bit out of the loop. I am trying to find out what people are using for high mileage oil and why. When I used to frequent the site the popular oil was the Valvoline Maxlife Blend because it was believed to be a PAO blend. Is it still? What about the Maxlife Full Synthetic, is this still good stuff? Anything else out there that is supposed to be good stuff?

Well, the cheapest HM right now is Pennzoil in 5 quart jugs due to some kind of special limited time offer. I'm not sure if it's limited to Walmart or not.

That makes it significantly cheaper than all other High Mileage type oils, except the Maxlife (unless I am unaware of a recent price hike?) which is $13 for 5 quarts.

I think HM oil is good if it has the correct seal conditioner and ester for cleaning purposes. If your car is in good condition there is no need for it. If it burns a lot of oil or leaking HM can do wonder.

The only HM oil I have experience with is Chevron Supreme HM.

My grandmother's car was leaking oil, not bad, just needed a top off here and there. It got whatever I felt like buying. Motorcraft, Havoline, Shell, ect ect.

Picked up the Chevron at the Family Dollar for clearance (they seem to favor Quaker State now) and added a quart.

The leak stopped. Maybe coincidence, I don't know. I couldn't see a single quart having much impact. But a very obvious oil leak stopped. Completely.

Did a full change with it and the leak not returned. The car runs great, smoother then ever. 97 Plymouth Breeze with 125k on it.

I am using Valvoline Maxlife Syn right now in my Camry. I might try switching to Mobil 1 HM and try that.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am using Valvoline Maxlife Syn right now in my Camry. I might try switching to Mobil 1 HM and try that.

Any negative results from the Valvoline ?

Keeping all other variables constant, Mobil Clean HM gives slightly better fuel economy vs most other HM options since it is able to qualify for the the energy conserving rating. In addition to the seal conditioner, it has 16% more cleaning additives too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back