Hertz Car Rental Fire sale Monday

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by tbm5690
I wouldn't touch a rental with a 10 foot pole myself...unless it was such a killer deal I couldn't pass it up.

Rentals are beat to heck and back.

I see a lot of 2019s on their list with 20-25K miles. How much beating can one really do during that time?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I wouldn't touch a rental with a 10 foot pole myself...unless it was such a killer deal I couldn't pass it up.

I see a lot of 2019s on their list with 20-25K miles. How much beating can one really do during that time?

Tons. I was in the car with a friend of mine that was jumping his rental 1995 or 1996 Dodge Neon over hills in Indiana back then. Car had ~7000 miles on the odo. He's a character. He would never do stuff like that with his own vehicles.

I've looked at three of their lots in SLC, Denver and Billings and am not seeing anything special. Is their a different website showing these fire sale prices?

Depends on the car and how well you check it out, a small SUV should be fine as long as it has no undercarriage damage from being misused. Most semi reasonable people don't rent a SantaFe or a Soul or a Murano to offroad or autocross, they use them like a minivan. Those are all probably a good deal for the right price. I'd personally would not buy a rental company performance car or vehicle, there is too high a chance a previous renter decided to live out their Two Lane Blacktop inspired fantasy. And the damage may not be visally or mechanically evident for thousands of miles to come.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Well when I beat on them, I just floor it all the time. But the engine is designed for it. I heard of people beating rental cars by throwing it in reverse while they're on the highway, hitting the emergency brake and spinning out, etc. But those are extra crazy beatings.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
2019 Kona AWD with 20K miles for $16K; if I were not so cheap, i'd be on it.

Is that a good deal? A quick search suggested that MSRP for a base model was under $20K.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I've looked at three of their lots in SLC, Denver and Billings and am not seeing anything special. Is their a different website showing these fire sale prices?

Depends on the lots and how they price them. I have seen almost identical trucks at different lots with a 2k price difference.
I usually look 200-300 miles from where I live when I car shop. Best price/vehicle wins.

Is Hertz the only one going down? Are they even the largest of the rental car companies? Makes you wonder how this is going to play out for the business. Fewer cars, higher mileage on them, etc.

In terms of buying ex-rentals, I've never had a problem and have had a few domestic ex-rentals as well as Hyundais and Nissans. CVTs even!. My 2016 Quest and current 2019 Pathfinder might have come from Hertz.

I do browse the Hertz cars sales site from time to time. I paid just uder $24K for my 2019 Pathfinder with 23K miles on it in Oct 2019. You can buy a 2018 with 40K on it through Hertz now for around $16K. Wow. My resale went from Nissan bad to horrible.

Last edited:
If Hertz and other rental car companies go south, Ford, Nissan, Kia and other car manufacturers who depend on fleet sales will get hurt.
Ouch!

I have bought three-no issues with any of them.

Originally Posted by CKN

I have bought three-no issues with any of them.

Lots of scripting errors and broken links on that site

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I tend to drive over rough railroad tracks faster in cars I've rented vs my own.

Per Jeremy Clarkson, rental cars with an insurance plans are the fastest cars...... in the world.

Since the early 80's my entire family bought 1 year old rentals with 15-30K miles on them. Both Ford and Chevrolet. No issues with any of them. All were serviced every 5K miles as we got all service records on them before buying. Even had a independent mechanic check it out before signing the papers..

Back