Help me pick a new car

The Japanese have a reputation of reliability for a reason and resale values proves it.

Well if you're going by resale then the Jeep Wrangler must be the pinnacle of reliability (it's not, but that disproves your theory).

When we compare the Jeep Wrangler's and the Toyota Tacoma's specifications and ratings, the Jeep Wrangler has the advantage in the areas of resale value, overall quality score and base engine power. The Toyota Tacoma has the advantage in the area of reliability. Based on this comparison of the Jeep Wrangler's and the Toyota Tacoma's specifications and ratings, the Jeep Wrangler is a better car than the Toyota Tacoma.

You cannot separate marketing and perception from all of this. There are entrenched players, or bad model years (or bad components used for a few years) that can drag a corporate reputation in the gutter for years.

Toyota mainly benefits from running very old engines/drivetrains etc. Case in point the new Tundra which has a very mediocre reputation since it's been launched. The old truck was unchanged for over a decade and a half and that means it was running an old platform with all the kinks worked out and just doing tiny facia/interior updates.

Guess which half ton has the highest reliability rankings nowadays? The Ram, and it's also (not coincidentally) the oldest plaftform in use.

This Acura continues to disappoint, Carmax is offering $27k on a $38k car that's one year old with 4,500 miles on it. Not a loss I'm willing to take, I'll deal with it for another year and see where things are at that time. I haven't had a car depreciate like that post 2010. This is hands down the most disappointing car I've ever purchased.

This Acura continues to disappoint, Carmax is offering $27k on a $38k car that's one year old with 4,500 miles on it. Not a loss I'm willing to take, I'll deal with it for another year and see where things are at that time. I haven't had a car depreciate like that post 2010. This is hands down the most disappointing car I've ever purchased.
Carmax has all low values because they are flooded with inventory. A year ago was time to dump it not now. We are now back to reality with resale.

I also think you bought a manual transmission which has negative resale value vs automatic as masses not interested.

I would stay away from anything Jeep. I rank it with all the overpriced and over-rated German cars. I've read mostly bad stuff about them. The Lexus would be my choice. The Maverick has good reviews, for the most part, availability and price may be another thing.

Carmax has all low values because they are flooded with inventory. A year ago was time to dump it not now. We are now back to reality with resale.

I also think you bought a manual transmission which has negative resale value vs automatic as masses not interested.

CarMax is flooded with inventory.
I agree that people not wanting a vehicle with manual transmission.

I would take Acura to dealer to get all the problems resolved.

I would stay away from anything Jeep. I rank it with all the overpriced and over-rated German cars. I've read mostly bad stuff about them. The Lexus would be my choice. The Maverick has good reviews, for the most part, availability and price may be another thing.
Darn it- It looks like ALL of my cars are overpriced and overrated! I should have listened to more third and fourth hand hearsay before purchasing them...

Darn it- It looks like ALL of my cars are overpriced and overrated! I should have listened to more third and fourth hand hearsay before purchasing them...
I guess a video I watched about a lady's new Jeep Cherokee being in the shop more than her driving it had some influence. Jeeps aren't known for reliability or fuel mileage. I bet most jeeps get just slightly better mileage than my truck with a 460 engine.12 versus 16ish. I would put the Lexus as being at least twice as reliable as any Jeep. You know what they say about opinions. I drive a minivan and everyone seems to hate them with a passion and I think it's an okay vehicle. If you gave me a German car I would just turn around and sell it. Like Harley's German cars are usually owned by people trying to impress others. Buy and drive whatever makes you happy or that you can afford. Keep in mind how much time you want to spend at the dealer and have a tow package. My sister worked at a German car dealership doing warranty work on the computer, so I have heard some stories. May all of your cars be trouble-free.

I bet most jeeps get just slightly better mileage than my truck with a 460 engine.12 versus 16ish. I would put the Lexus as being at least twice as reliable as any Jeep.
Guy, the freakin' 707HP Trackhawk Grand Cherokee gets better gas mileage than that, lol
Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 5.14.11 PM.jpg

Using your list, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, then next the Jeep Wrangler.
Last would be the Lexus, my aunt has a lexus, she curses it daily, says it's the worst vehicle by far she has ever owned.

Toyota can have cruddy build quality too and rattles. That is pure luck of the draw.
My 17 Tundra had lots of rattles ,creaks and squeaks that i spent a few years tracking down and fixing thank god. I was close to getting rid of it because of them. Rest of the truck has been flawless

Why not a Palisades?

My RAV4 has been flawless. My Camry needed a replacement blower fan and water pump. Not great but I have high expectations for Toyota reliability.

I drove 240 miles yesterday. If i went EV, I'd need 300 mile range to feel comfortable.

I just got back from the car wash, I was wiping under the hood and bumped the rubber bumper that sits on the upper tie bar, it went flying off into the engine. The driver's wiper blade parks under the passenger wiper arm so it crashes into the arm when you pull it up. Such quality!

leVRMOb.jpg

Take it back and demand they fix all the problems.

No car is perfect no matter how expensive it is.

Back