Help me pick a generator oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil 10W-30 Four Stroke Small Engine Oil. Been using in my whole house generator for 9 years (annual changes) with no issues.

Last edited:
I just changed the oil in my Generac 20K propane whole-house generator after 2+ years using Mobil 1 10W-30. I think it calls for 100 hour maintenance, and IMO a generator would be the perfect application for Mobil 1 20,000 mile extended oil.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I just changed the oil in my Generac 20K propane whole-house generator after 2+ years using Mobil 1 10W-30. I think it calls for 100 hour maintenance, and IMO a generator would be the perfect application for Mobil 1 20,000 mile extended oil.

A friend of mine recently retired as a Gernerac tech. Per his instructor at the Generac school, he used M1 5-30 in all of his PMs on Generac gens. He serviced many generators and never had a problem with lubrication. Other problems was a different matter.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If the mfgr says to change the oil every 5 or 6 hours of use, I'd go with the one that will last the longest. I use mobil 1 EP. and run it at least twice what the oci is.,,

Misprint- CHECK oil every 6 hours. Something lost in the translation. 50 hours is pretty standard.

WDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back