Hellcat OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: jkasch
Quote:
Plus some parts of MI can be very sketchy. So even in nice weather one has to keep a look out for trouble in that area.

Yep, the roads absolutely suck in my area. They're straight, too. One of many reasons for going with the HC over cars like a Vette, ZL1, GT350, etc. (That, and I love Mopar muscle cars.)

I also meant certain areas of MI aren't very safe from a security stand point. Prob half a dozen cities in MI are ranked as the least safe in the US. A big contributor to the list is unsolved homicides. But other crimes usually go along with it. Just try to be safe.

Ah, gotcha. Appreciate the note of caution. I do stick to safe routes. (At least, as safe as any place can be these days.)

Preserve the value?
Really, the Demon is coming out which already is depreciating the Hellcat.
Cars don't appreciate especially new ones unless you want to keep them for 40+ years. First tank of gas you put in a new car and it takes years to recover value again.
Anything with a Deed makes you money, anything with a title loses you money.

Geez there's some negative Nancy types here. 3k miles or 5000km is plenty for a fun car. Daily driving it will increase the chance of idiots hitting him and car park dents.

It's insurance for Chrysler against paying for blown motors. With that much power you can't let the oil degrade, and 6000 miles of using 700+ HP is going to shred oil. If I had something like that I'd UOA at 1500 and see what is going on and adjust interval accordingly.

I think it's a no brainer to change the oil by the manufacturer's recommendation since you don't want to give them a reason to deny an engine warranty and these are expensive engines.

With that being said, I highly doubt changing the oil once a year would hurt the engine given the low amount of miles driven per year.

Kind of off topic, but my local Dodge dealership has a 2016 Hellcat still on their lot and they have had it probably getting close to a year. They were one of the ones selling Hellcats for way over MSRP and obviously are not budging much on this one. It's a $73,000 car. I stopped and looked at it when they first got it.

This dealership puts this car inside every night and brings it back out during the day. I highly doubt they have changed the oil in it yet and with so many very short drives, I wonder if this is hurting the engine at all.

Wayne

Jeez, I got my new '16 in March for about 10% off sticker. (It's an M6 with sunroof and summer tires as only options, so not as expensive.) On hellcat.org I read of folks getting left over '16's for way under that, now.

That's a lot of short trip/cold starts. My HC spent all it's time in the showroom.

Last edited:
i would change it by the book for warranty purposes only. after that id do 1-2 yr intervals or 6k mi whichever came first. id also uoa it at that point in time for a more precise interval.

in 2006 i bought a new 2007 bmw 5 series. currently has 46k mi on it. garaged every winter because i wanted to keep it "nice", didnt want to drive it on salt, also its rwd not awd (i live in nj). window sticker was $53k when new, not including tax and finance interest. according to kbb.com with 46k mi in excellent condition, trade in value is $7,700. with 100k mi in very good condition, trade in value is $5,000. just sayin...

They legally can't make you change it if you have solid UOA proving there was no reason to change.

Chrysler is very familiar with UOA, as in the 80's they did an official study correlating tear downs with UOA. You can buy their paper online still today. Granted this is not Blackstone UOA, you have to get better testing and tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back