Hellcat OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
You bought an $ 80,000 Car, and you are concerned about 2 oil changes, rather than 1?
You sound like my Dad.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's silly is driving a $70k-$80k car 3,000 miles a year
You too sound like my Dad.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The 6 month interval is for the short trippers out there that may only drive 2500 miles in 6 months, 2 miles at a time. That constant start stop with little or no warm-up is hard on the oil (condensation, fuel dilution etc).
If you are getting the oil up to temperature each time you drive (like at least a 30 minute drive) you would be fine with an annual change, but FCA has to play safe, if they said 6 months for severe driving, and 1 year for regular, the short trippers would say "I don't drive much, I am a regular interval" and end up with a sludged engine.

thumbsup2.gif
Well said.

Originally Posted By: CT8
You too sound like my Dad.
Your dad sounds like a smart guy
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
You'll probably been changing the tires twice a year on that car too.

Probably only need to change the rear ones. Plus driving it 3k per year the back tires could probably make it 3 years easily. Plus it will probably be kept out of the rain as well I'm guessing. Plus some parts of MI can be very sketchy. So even in nice weather one has to keep a look out for trouble in that area.

Quote:
Plus some parts of MI can be very sketchy. So even in nice weather one has to keep a look out for trouble in that area.

Yep, the roads absolutely suck in my area. They're straight, too. One of many reasons for going with the HC over cars like a Vette, ZL1, GT350, etc. (That, and I love Mopar muscle cars.)

I agree 100% about only driving your car in the warmer months. Like OVERKILL stated about the time to change the oil makes perfect sense to me. If I were you I would love to take that car down to Talladega for a couple of fast laps around there. That would be quite spectacular.

Nice car. I have a couple FCA products myself. I did by the book oil changes on my sports car, until I started modifying it to the point that the warranty was void anyway. Now, I change the oil based on usage.

My other one is still under warranty, and I'll change it's oil by the book, until it's out of warranty, or I modify it such that the warranty is void.

Don't worry about those that like to advise you how to spend your money. I hear that type of 'advice' frequently. Their opinion doesn't matter.

Congratulation on your Hellcat!

I would follow the owners' manual. Wouldn't chance a warranty issue, with such an expensive vehicle. I've had the same vehicle garage kept for 23 years and only drove it at times 1000 miles a year sometimes. I always had company vehicles.

For my application, I change it once a year or recently at 3 years using synthetic oil/filter. However; your situation is different.

I always think of the Owner's Manual as the bible for my vehicle. Follow it and be cognizant of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB). That's my 2 cent.

Enjoy your new toy sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: jkasch

I wasn't asking what you thought of what I do with my car and my money. Thanks to the others that contributed something worthwhile.

+1. I just love those members that smugly criticize others for the way they choose to use their cars. I have owned my 2016 Scat Pack for one year as of today and have just over 2,200 miles. I change the oil every 6 months as specified in the manual. It looks like I am on track for 1,000 mile OCIs.

I have to agree with the people that say it makes no sense to buy a car you enjoy and park it in the garage.
We own the same 2016 Challenger Scat Pack and it's my wife's daily driver, why because she enjoys it.
Challenger hasn't changed their design since 2008 and when it comes about the old Challengers will drop in value like a rock. Enjoy the car, drive it. It's a expendable item of life.

Can there be any justification for this quote from the Hellcat owner's manual?

Wording like that is common across various OEMs. Yes, it seems silly, but under warranty, it might be prudent. Afterwards, a customary change at the end of the season (or every second season or whatever) would probably make more sense.

Seriously you should not be required to get dealership oil changes so just cook the book.
You know that motor is going to be super clean if they ever open it. It's not like your cooking the books to hide 20,000 mile oil changes, your trying to hide extra months.
Dodge has rediculas maintenance schedules for all thier vehicles worse yet require you to use basically Pennzoil or Mopar oil in that engine.

I'm the fastest guy on the road here in SO.NH driving an AUTOMATIC ROGUE 4 cyl.

I think everybody else is a zombie mushroom on the road.

So what's with the s-l-o-w driven vettes and mustangs?

Just for Show off I guess.

Peacocks the lot of you!

Man everyone getting on the guy for not driving it that much. Maybe he doesn't drive that much? There was a time where I was doing about 3,000 miles a year on my daily driven Mustang. And that was a stretch considering I drove about 5 miles round trip to work for a couple years.

To the original question, like others have said I'd check with the dealer about warranty issues. Many manuals written today still quote the 6 month change interval. Some are coming around to 1 year. Whether its needed or not would depend on things like an oil analysis. For me personally a cheaper car I would be less worried about warranty coverage and issues, but that hellkitty engine is probably pretty expensive.

Yeah, 3k miles/year on a vehicle such as a Hellcat is actually quite a bit, IMO.

As to the original question, doesn't this car have an OLM that the OP can just follow to maintain warranty? Or will it go off in 6 months anyway?

Good question. Car was built In September. I bought it at the end of March. I changed the oil at 900 miles in May, but did not reset the OLM. It hasn't gone off yet. If the dealer reset it when I took delivery, I'm coming up on six months.

Quote:
Plus some parts of MI can be very sketchy. So even in nice weather one has to keep a look out for trouble in that area.

Yep, the roads absolutely suck in my area. They're straight, too. One of many reasons for going with the HC over cars like a Vette, ZL1, GT350, etc. (That, and I love Mopar muscle cars.)

I also meant certain areas of MI aren't very safe from a security stand point. Prob half a dozen cities in MI are ranked as the least safe in the US. A big contributor to the list is unsolved homicides. But other crimes usually go along with it. Just try to be safe.

You do realize that by keeping the miles off the car, he is potentially preserving it's value?

Also, given OP's location, that 3k would be done in a ~6 month span. That's a lot of weekend cruises, car meets, track days etc. which quite frankly is all I'd use something like this for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back