Heat vs vibration on batteries

I'm so tired of only getting 2-2.5 years out the batteries on my diesel. They want like $500 now for a set. I can get almost 6 years out the battery on my two mowers because they're used everyday commercially, but the truck that pulls the equipment around gets 2 years because they sit in a heat soaked engine compartment all day. Funny the bouncing around on the mowers doesn't seem to affect battery life

I just thought it was an interesting comparison because I always thought vibration was a primary killer of batteries,

opinions?

I just thought it was an interesting comparison because I always thought vibration was a primary killer of batteries,

opinions?
Vibration could do something if it causes the plates to shed material. Or mixes up loose junk.

Heat accelerates self discharge and degrading side reactions. Heat doesn’t stop. It will do more.

Vibration could do something if it causes the plates to shed material. Or mixes up loose junk.

Heat accelerates self discharge and degrading side reactions. Heat doesn’t stop. It will do more.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Is exactly right. Heat kills batteries much faster.

Yeah that’s true too man… If it’s not on a charger… When they go long periods with run time…. That certainly doesn’t help either.

Flooded lead acid batteries lose between 5-13 percent charge each month just sitting.. Not connected to anything. So you can guarantee when those batteries are attached to a vehicle system… Those batteries are discharging well faster than that

Right now batteries in general seem to be junk. We had so much trouble at my work with battery mart batteries that I switched to orileys. Those are worse! I'm seeing their 2 and 3 year batteries failing in 4-6 months over and over.

Right now batteries in general seem to be junk. We had so much trouble at my work with battery mart batteries that I switched to orileys. Those are worse! I'm seeing their 2 and 3 year batteries failing in 4-6 months over and over.

Holy cow…. That SUCKS… Big time.

And those O Reillys batteries are like 150-230 bucks if I’m right.

I'm tempted to only throw a passenger side battery in my truck and ride until I notice slow cranking again, then do the driver side

I think heat and sitting discharged for a long time. Most people only get a season or two out of a mower battery. Forgot about that
As soon as a lead acid battery is the slightest bit below 100% state of charge, it sulfates. So it loses capacity and increases impedance.

Seems like cheapest is best in that case....

I'm so tired of only getting 2-2.5 years out the batteries on my diesel. They want like $500 now for a set. I can get almost 6 years out the battery on my two mowers because they're used everyday commercially, but the truck that pulls the equipment around gets 2 years because they sit in a heat soaked engine compartment all day. Funny the bouncing around on the mowers doesn't seem to affect battery life
buy a gasoline powered truck. nobody ever saved any money driving a diesel pickup. :)

Would connecting a trickle charger while the truck is not in use, like overnight, increase battery life?

I'm so tired
realistically, some of the problem may come down to duty cycle. you didn't say how the truck operates but since you mentioned lawn equipment I am thinking multiple stops and restarts per day.
you could probably use a solar charger as well as make sure you have battery insulating blankets.
also make sure charging system is functioning properly and that the battery trays and such aren't loose.

I'm a big fan of load tests. I too was one of those, oooooh, battery is now 4, I better replace before I get stranded.

For real, my BMW battery is now 12 years old.

With a Costco 24F, my LS430 is on its 2nd, approaching 3 years old. It does have the free replacement, I heard here the warranty policy has been changed.

The last one did fail a load test at 4 years old. I've not really had problems with Costco ones and before, it was the free replacement no questions asked policy that sold them in my mind. Now that that's gone, dunno.

My opinion is it's heat and the quality of the battery. Meaning, if vibration is in fact a contributing factor, it's due to poor construction.

One thing I will say again and again, I pay attention to "sleeves" and vent tubes. I didn't on my Maxima and wouldn't you know, the front left fender rusted from the gassing. i.e. I threw away the plastic sleeve my first change--actually the real reason was I took a group 35 that my parents had and put it in place of the 24F the car came with. Back then, cold weather pkg cars got 24F, and others 35. So I felt I wasn't breaking any rules by using the 35. So I threw away the sleeve sized for the OE battery. Next time, I went 24F without a sleeve...

East Penn made batteries, and at least one solar maintainer (my CTD Ram used t have TWO, one for each battery). Thank me later (like at least 4-5 years later)! Unless you're in the desert Southwest...

Back