Time for a new battery?

Car is a 2016 Mustang GT. Original battery failed after a little over 2 years and was replaced under warranty. The replacement battery (a Motorcraft) is around 5 years old. A few weeks ago, I went to start the car after it had been sitting for a week-10 days, and all it did was the death click, click, click as I held down the START button. My voltmeter showed right around 12.1 volts at the battery, so my first thought was that the battery was a little low, but it should turn over the engine.

Anyway, I put a 10 amp charger on it, and after 20-30 minutes, the engine fired right up The on-board instrumentation showed 14-something volts, so the alternator is working. Since then I've let the car sit for a week or so twice, and it still starts fine. Instrumentation shows anywhere from mid to high 13 volts while driving.

I can't find anything on the car that would have been a drain on the battery, such as dash or interior lights like we'd find on old cars, but maybe I'm missing something. My question is should I replace the battery because it's 5 years old and it MAY have caused the problem I had? Price is $110 at Costco, so is not an issue. But I hate to replace something that may last me a few more years.

Perhaps parasitic draw might be high for a yet to be determined reason? Wait until the car goes to sleep and then test again? I know it can be don't but I don't remember how.

Yeah, guess I could run up the street and have AutoZone do a load check on it. But no way I'm buying a battery from them at >$200.
As for playing Russian Roulette, you're probably right.

Next question: What's the best device for saving memory when changing the battery?

After 5 years and with winter looming, I'd replace the battery. Yes, batteries have gotten real expensive but they're critical.

I believe a 9v battery clipped to the cables before you disconnect them is all you need.
If the required voltage is 12, then use a 12v battery.

I know there are 9v battery adapters you shove into an "always on" socket which can preserve your settings/memory.
However, rigging two alligator clips on a 9v battery is hard to beat economically.

Have AZ test. Determine where to go from there. Anything other than good condition I would replace.

5 years? I would be happy it lasted that long in a fairly modern car. I have a 9 year old Duralast in the Trans Am.
Yes, they seem to last longer in old vehicles. I replaced a 7-8 year old battery in my 69 pickup last year. Also had a cheap 12-month "Budget Battery" in another old pickup that a previous owner had installed. As I recall, it lasted around 6-7 years. And even then, it gradually died instead of leaving me stranded. It was really ugly, so I was glad when it finally failed. 😁

1695321520483.png

Yes, they seem to last longer in old vehicles. I replaced a 7-8 year old battery in my 69 pickup last year. Also had a cheap 12-month "Budget Battery" in another old pickup that a previous owner had installed. As I recall, it lasted around 6-7 years. And even then, it gradually died instead of leaving me stranded. It was really ugly, so I was glad when it finally failed. 😁

View attachment 179761
Yes in a hot climate like Texas etc. the secret is checking that battery often to make sure the water does not go low. If you not good about checking your oil the battery is likely never going to get checked until you have killed it!

Load test is the way to go. I used to have to change batteries on the Wifes F250 with the Powerstroke engine every 3 years despite the driving , charging etc and my 92 Toyota had the OEM Delco battery last for 8 years. Luck of the draw ,,,who knows.

Car is a 2016 Mustang GT. Original battery failed after a little over 2 years and was replaced under warranty. The replacement battery (a Motorcraft) is around 5 years old. A few weeks ago, I went to start the car after it had been sitting for a week-10 days, and all it did was the death click, click, click as I held down the START button. My voltmeter showed right around 12.1 volts at the battery, so my first thought was that the battery was a little low, but it should turn over the engine.

Anyway, I put a 10 amp charger on it, and after 20-30 minutes, the engine fired right up The on-board instrumentation showed 14-something volts, so the alternator is working. Since then I've let the car sit for a week or so twice, and it still starts fine. Instrumentation shows anywhere from mid to high 13 volts while driving.

I can't find anything on the car that would have been a drain on the battery, such as dash or interior lights like we'd find on old cars, but maybe I'm missing something. My question is should I replace the battery because it's 5 years old and it MAY have caused the problem I had? Price is $110 at Costco, so is not an issue. But I hate to replace something that may last me a few more years.
If you're near enough to Friendswood have the guys at Mustang Auto check the battery for you. AFAIK they don't charge anything to test it in the front parking lot. They are 100% honest and will tell you not to spend your money unless it truly needs it. Been our go to guys for a couple of decades. Won't let anyone else touch our cars unless it's a warranty no charge dealer visit. And some of those I get them to inspect and approve on afterward. Good luck sorting it.

I installed a new battery in my 2014 Corvette a couple days ago. I bought an Interstate AGM for it from Costco for under $200. I would get a new battery before it leaves you stranded somewhere. I am going on a long trip with the Corvette and that's why I bought a new battery. I have no idea how old or how new the previous battery is but now I have a brand new one. Just cheap insurance.

Follow up: I drove the car 3-4 more times, even after it had sat for several days. Started up every time. Then after letting it sit for more than a week, it did the click, click, click rattle. I broke down and got a $110 Interstate battery from Costco. No more Russian roulette! At least the old battery died slowly and didn't let me down in a parking lot 20 miles from home.

Also, I had a hard time removing one of the battery terminals, as well as the battery itself from its plastic box. I took a sanity break, so the battery was probably disconnected for 2 hours, but the car didn't loose any of its memory -- my phone book, radio presets, and Homelink still worked. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
Back