Headlight restoration pics

BA74A289-0B9F-423B-BDA8-688E804B7515.jpeg

Have you driven it at night post treatment? Interested to hear your observations. I had an 08 N52 and really did like the engine.

I used the Sylvania kit on the Clubman; it really does an excellent job. I also left it in the garage overnight after applying the clear coat.

I used the Sylvania kit and finding the coating you apply with it starts to fail and peel after about 8 or 9 months on a daily driver Toyota Tundra.
I am thinking about refinishing again, and instead, apply Xpel film. Not sure if the film will protect as well or better.

I have had film on my 22 yo BMW since new (replaced every 6 years or so) and the headlights are still like new

I used the Sylvania kit and finding the coating you apply with it starts to fail and peel after about 8 or 9 months on a daily driver Toyota Tundra.
I am thinking about refinishing again, and instead, apply Xpel film. Not sure if the film will protect as well or better.

I have had film on my 22 yo BMW since new (replaced every 6 years or so) and the headlights are still like new

Any headlight coating product in a supermarket available kit will not last very long. Around a year would be great results IMO for a garage kept car. I am not familiar with xpel but a quality PPF will almost certainly have much better results than the stuff included in the restoration kit.

Any headlight coating product in a supermarket available kit will not last very long. Around a year would be great results IMO for a garage kept car. I am not familiar with xpel but a quality PPF will almost certainly have much better results than the stuff included in the restoration kit.
Can you expand on that please? My 14 Foz is starting to haze a bit. I think the wax I applied often helped, but it’s slowly starting to become less clear. I’d rather nip it in the bud than let it get awful like a ‘97 Subie I once head. That restoration took me forever and was never really great.

Can you expand on that please? My 14 Foz is starting to haze a bit. I think the wax I applied often helped, but it’s slowly starting to become less clear. I’d rather nip it in the bud than let it get awful like a ‘97 Subie I once head. That restoration took me forever and was never really great.

Not sure what you specifically want to know. Its essentially the same as paint care/protection. The widely available headlight restore kits is just a mini wet-sand kit along with a easy-apply clear coat. I think they work pretty dang well for what they are and the price, but the clear coat included can't be expected to last very long with that application environment/method or at that price point, and it doesn't. Stuff like PPF or ceramic coating(the real stuff, not the spray/wax on) provides better protection. Wax certainly works too, but not as well and you have to re-apply more often(just like with paint). If yours aren't too hazy, there is no need for a restore kit (aka wet-sand), just a good polish/buff and your chosen protection strategy. There is no surefire way to prevent oxidation, just have to regularly maintain and protect.

Back