Current Favorite Head Light Restoration Kit ?

Rules regarding linking to outside content vids, too much for me to keep up with. That and 'in my observation', PF vids and info seem to really irritate a fair number of members. If still interested, go to You Tube, insert Project Farm in search bar and click. Second choice should be the recent HLR video referenced by @Warstud.
Rules? Naming a product?

+1 for Sylvania. I have used the 3m one on a different vehicle and it was so so for awhile. The Sylvania is more transparent longer.
I Sylvania in the garage, looking forward to trying it out. Yes, it is the clear coat I am interested in, that is what should make it last.
IN the past, even last fall, simple Crest Whitening Toothpaste worked to make them almost pristine clear but it doesnt last long.

I used Sylvania kit on one car and it came out fine. It does start to get worse after a few years. Then I saw a Chrisfix video where he used toothpaste. This does a good job and was way faster than the Sylvania multi-step process. I then use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray wax on it.

Rules? Naming a product?
Not to belabor the point but as means of explanation. @Warstud gave information to the OP about PF testing. Should be noted, he chose not to link vid. And my initial response was directly to him, followed up later by more detailed directions to the OP where to find the info if interested. That was/is my preference on how to reply in this instance. Imo, a perfectly appropriate response. Seeing it was his initial info, if @Warstud wanted to give more information, his call. Anyway, moot now as the OP's query has been answered.

Last edited:
I’ll try the cheap route first : Crest Whitening toothpaste or 3000 grit wet sanding - then apply UV proof TW Seal ‘N Shine Ceramic Spray Wax .

I’ll try the cheap route first : Crest Whitening toothpaste or 3000 grit wet sanding - then apply UV proof TW Seal ‘N Shine Ceramic Spray Wax .
Funny, in the past I always heard about the toothpaste thing. Not sure how well it ever worked... but then tried it with the Whitening Toothpaste and a very thin dishwashing type pad. I was amazed after over the years now and then of using a cleaner type wax that the whitening tooth paste and whatever thin dishwashing type pad I had really didnt take much effort to get it nice and clear.

The key is then (which I haven't tried or done) is apply a clear coat over the nice clear lens for it to last and why I will try the kit since its laying around here someplace. I have applied wax always but doesn't last long, I always heard acrylic paint or whatever is in those kits will work for up to a year or so. Hope to hear back on your experience.

What are your favorite headlight restoration kits available locally from WM , Auto Zone , Advance Auto , etc. ?
I tried using wet 1000 grit sandpaper then wet 2000 grip sandpaper - while it removed a lot of "UV crud" and smoothed out the headlight surface , they still are not clear and remain dull looking. Thanks in advance !
Do 3000, then followed by a compound, then a polish and they will sparkle

Lately I've been using Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Seems to work as good as anything else for mildly ugly lenses plus it has other uses. Finish up with Camco 210, supposed to be a protectant.

I have tried them all and like this Meguiar's Heavy Duty headlight restoration kit the best for prepping the headlight surface. I prefer to either use the Cerakote Ceramic wipes or the SprayMAX 2K glossy catalyzed clearcoat to seal the surface in lieu of the sealant coating provided in the Meguiar's kit.

View attachment 204143
I have used this kit with very good, better than I expected, success on my 2007 Tundra. Time will tell how long it will last. Will probably clear coat it periodically....thinking yearly to help them stay looking good.

What are your favorite headlight restoration kits available locally from WM , Auto Zone , Advance Auto , etc. ?
I tried using wet 1000 grit sandpaper then wet 2000 grip sandpaper - while it removed a lot of "UV crud" and smoothed out the headlight surface , they still are not clear and remain dull looking. Thanks in advance !
3M. They have three different correction kits. It seems to make a difference. We'll see how well it fixes my Cavaliers cataract lenses.

FWIW I feel like most kits have too much of a gap between the grit's. You get 500 then 800 then 3000. Buy automotive sandpaper from 600-5000 and do gradual steps by hand (wet sand). I did a 3m kit once, they looked good but the cut marks from the drill attachment with the 500 were still there.

Back