Havoline vs Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Amazing that some folks freak out about a .79 price change per qt.

You right. It's only 29% increase.

Would someone PLEASE point me to a listing of the MSRP for the "old" Havoline. Everyone keeps qouting a $0.79-0.80 MSRP increase. I have never seen documentation of the old MSRP.

All I have ever seen are "Street Prices".

Thank you for the info about moly, I took that having a good anount of moly in the motor oil is a good thing.
fruit.gif

Quote:

Irregardless?

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Sorry....I wasn't an English major. Mainly a math and science guy.
dunno.gif

Yes its a 29% increase. But unlike gas, you buy maybe 5-6 qts every 3k-5k? $4 for a known quaility in you 20-40k car? Geez.

Quote:

Yes its a 29% increase. But unlike gas, you buy maybe 5-6 qts every 3k-5k? $4 for a known quaility in you 20-40k car? Geez.

Known quality? As far as I see it there are going to switch around the formula a little and slap a nifty new label on it and charge 29% more. I hate to be so cynical but that seems to be the way things work in corporate America with very few exceptions.

I finally picked up 6 cases of Havoline 5W30 from Advance Auto Parts at $1.55 a quart. Added that to my 2 cases of Castrol GTX, now I had enough oil for my 4 cars to last for 2 years.

Quote:

I finally picked up 6 cases of Havoline 5W30 from Advance Auto Parts at $1.55 a quart. Added that to my 2 cases of Castrol GTX, now I had enough oil for my 4 cars to last for 2 years.

I see you have contracted the BITOG Oil Stash Disease!
crazy.gif

Want to know the next stage of this contagious disease? In a few months, you will be at a mega store looking for a shelf to accomodate your stash.
wink.gif

Good news is.... there is no cure yet.
grin.gif

I just count the oil stash that I had in my basement. I had a total of 174 quarts of oil in my basement. That should last me for about 3 years. Here is the list:

GTX 5W30 dino - 12 qts
GTX 5W30 HM - 10 qts
Valvoline 5W30 dino - 5 qts
Advance Auto 5W30 dino - 5 qts
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 sythetic - 5 qts
Halvoline 5W30 dino - 76 qts
Halvoline 5W20 dino - 10 qts
Q Advanced Engine 5W30 synthetic - 30 qts
Q Advanced Engine 10W30 synthetic - 5 qts
Q Torque Power 10W30 synthetic - 12 qts
Q Torque Power 5W20 synthetic - 4 qts

Quote:

How long can oil, in its original bottle, be stored on the shelf before it goes bad?

I've used up to 7 years with nothing wrong. That is with yesterdays oils. (SG, SH, SJ)

I think with todays oils and better containers, I like to play it safe with 5-7 years and do UOAs to keep things in check.

When you can get good oil at a lower price, you can do a UOA plus the oil change for the same price as going to iffy lube!

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

When you can get good oil at a lower price, you can do a UOA plus the oil change for the same price as going to iffy lube!

And we definitely thank you for posting your UOAs Bill! Even though the cost of the UOA could buy you a heck of a lot more oil, the info you provide this forum through those UOAs is very valuable! As I've mentioned a few times lately, you are one of the big reasons why I've decided to switch my wife's Honda over to conventional oil and 5k intervals. It's worked for you for this long, and we all know that conventional oil is even better now than it's ever been.

Synthetic oil still has it's place (such as in my Corvette or for people who like to do extended intervals or live in extremely cold climates) but with conventional oil getting so much better, it just doesn't make as much sense for some people to be running expensive oils.

Quote:

Quote:

Irregardless?

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Sorry....I wasn't an English major. Mainly a math and science guy.
dunno.gif

I was a science major too, but we had to use correct English in writing our papers.

"Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir– prefix and –less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so."
BTW I will continue to use Havoline even if it costs the same as, or a bit more than Castrol, until I see a bad UOA using it in my Jeep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back