Having a new winch installed is expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called around to a few dealer on how much to install my new winch on my Brute Force, and 2 of 3 said 175-200 bucks. Basically, they are saying it is a 3 hour job at 66 buck labor rate.

Does that sound right? Three hours to install a new in the box winch. I have the mounting plate and everything for it.

Garage, property tax, wages, double social security tax to be paid by the garage owner, business liability, workmen's comp, rolls of TP for the disgusting bathroom in the back of the garage, "reading material" subscription, it all adds up.

I am not buying that. 200 bucks to install a winch, when I just got a timing belt, water pump, seals, etc. on a pickup for only 250 more than that. C'mon man. Can't explain away getting gouged by the owner having to pay his people, utilities, etc. I have a bridge in CT to sell you.

I just got off the phone with another dealer who laughed when i told him the 200 dollar charge other dealers wanted. When he got done laughing he said, bring in the ATV, we'll do it for 75 bucks.

Last edited:
$75.00 just for the installation or does that include the winch? harbor Frieght had some nice 2000 lb winchs on sale for $49.99. I thought about getting one for under my toolbox in the back of my truck to winch things into the bed. Currently, I dont have any winchs on my atvs, but I did have a Polaris 500 with one, I only used it once, to attempt to winch a tree out of the way, I ended up hooking it on the tow hitch and pulling it away. I dont know your sitiation, but after having one, I view them as a gimic, and nothing beats riding with a friend with a good tow rope and if you get a 650 stuck, thats probably what you ll need to get it out.

I got one of the Venom 2500lb XT models. With mounting plate it was 175 out the door. A lot cheaper than a Warn (300 bucks). Yeah, I think the winch deal can be a little overrated too. Nothing beats riding with a buddy, that's for sure. It will come in very handy to raise and lower the snow plow next winter when I have on of those installed. The harbor freight winches are cheap, but guys I have talked to say they actually work pretty slick. And if you use it a dozen times and it burns up, you're not out that much.

With record snowfall here, I got real tired of using the snowblower for two hours at a shot. Rather hop on the quad and get it done in 15 minutes.

I wonder why they do charge so much? I took mine off, rewired, and reinstalled in an hour.

I think it is because of large amount of assorted clips, u bolts, screws, bolts, switches, etc. Plus they had to mount the external remote control to it. The thing about winches is that I want someone who knows what they are doing to route the wires just so. Nothing worse than mounting in a spot where it can develop shorts due to mud, heat, chafing, etc. Plus, I made sure they mounted it so it only comes on when the key is on. I have a nephew that is 3 and he like to hop on the quad and play with buttons.

I probably could have done it myself, but for 75 bucks, I just contributed to the local economy.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Thats understandable. Mine was installed by someone else that rigged everything or rather wired it crazy, left no slack for the power wires so when i hit a bump it broke connection. But glad ya got it on a and all

Some shops don't want to install anything you bought somewhere else and that tread is growing due to liability concerns. If something goes wrong with winch, they will get the blame most all the time. They just don't want to deal with it and I can understand. Sometimes its easier to quote high labor than argue with someone about why they don't care to do it.

I saw a sign in one shop about a year ago. It said something to the affect. "Don't ask us to install something you bought at another store or you will get a boot in the you know where".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back