Rant about ripoff from security company

So as HOA President I had to get the keypad based access control system replaced when the 20 year old one went belly up.

We got a quote for $1600 which I thought was high but it needed to be replaced. While I could do the install I think it's best to have things like a keypad based access system installed and supported by a company. Cannot assume there will always be techy people at the HOA. And I may be away on vacation.

So after waiting for 4 weeks they installed a simple DoorKing system that I see on the Internet for $415. They programmed in 3 codes.

Remember everything was there already. Unbolt the old keypad and bolt on a new one and program in a few codes.

The guy was there for 2:hours.

So that says to me says their labor rate was $600/hour.

I am considering pushing back saying if you want our continued business you will significantly reduce

Good. Push back.

There is so much theft in these things.

And lots of apologists that have to try to make the case that the tech has to go procure the asset, drive his truck, fuel his truck, etc., etc.

Lots of stretching to justify someone getting a huge payout.

I’d push back 100%, and then find a new company.

The only caveat I’d have is if your $415 price is some wholesaler type price, and the company needs to warranty and guarantee it, which is kind of built into the spread between a wholesaler price and the MSRP they’re charging you. But even then, what’s retail? $800? So you’re still being taken for a ride it seems.

I’ve had it with electricians in the not too distant path. At least with that I was unwilling to mess with unprotected utility power while up on a ladder. So there was some OS&H type rationale. Still lies about permits and whatnot… theft.

I'm assuming you received some sort of quote, specifying what hardware and support you would be receiving?

Yes I think you paid too much BUT if the job was done as per the quote, it's on you to research what you're getting before you told them to do the work, no?

So as HOA President I had to get the keypad based access control system replaced when the 20 year old one went belly up.

We got a quote for $1600 which I thought was high but it needed to be replaced. While I could do the install I think it's best to have things like a keypad based access system installed and supported by a company. Cannot assume there will always be techy people at the HOA. And I may be away on vacation.

So after waiting for 4 weeks they installed a simple DoorKing system that I see on the Internet for $415. They programmed in 3 codes.

Remember everything was there already. Unbolt the old keypad and bolt on a new one and program in a few codes.

The guy was there for 2:hours.

So that says to me says their labor rate was $600/hour.

I am considering pushing back saying if you want our continued business you will significantly reduce
So-with all their business expenses such as trucks, employees, cell phones, land phones, computers, IT support, office space, admin salaries, taxes, etc., since you say the quote is high what should it be?
I would like to hear the answer from the entire pontification gallery......
@JHZR2-since you used the word "theft" you can go first.......

Last edited:
This reminds me of the joke re a bill that a computer technician sent for $ 155 after fixing it.
The owner said...What ! How do you arrive at such amount, you were here 15 minutes
and all you did was give a tap to the computer.
The technician then re-wrote the bill....
Tap on Computer $ 5
Knowing where to tap $150 TTL $155

Did you ask for a quote first then accepted the quote and work or did you call them up and they started without sending any sort of quote?

Are they also supposed to be "taking care" of the system and any maintenance in the future?

I’d do it for $100 and an ice cold Dr Pepper if you supply the parts 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can’t even see how it’d take 2 hours to do that. Maybe if they had to replace the whole mechanism, but just a keypad? Oof.

We just paid $90k in last-minute lender legal bills to get a deal closed, without any quote but they had the money and we needed it. No way they did anything close to 200 hours in legal work.

The time to hammer out the details is normally before you’ve agreed on a price. You owe it.

DoorKing makes a ton of different products at many different price points. What model did they install?

Sounds about right. Our access control panels are $7500 just for parts. If you could have did T&M might have been cheaper. In a quote they have factor the what ifs.And there can be a lot of those!!

Too late for advice. Didn't do homework, accepted bid, contractor provided service as bid. Done. Move on and don't try to put your mistake on someone else.

Is this for a condo building with a lobby that you are are talking about? Or a gate to the property? Only one entrance? Why didn't you get more than one quote?
It's an entrance gate to a small HOA development. More for appearance than high security. Walk 20 feet to the left or right into the bushes or woods and you are in to the HOA, but walking, not driving.

The company that installed the keypad has been working on the gate openers for many years so we thought they would do a decent job at a reasonable price.

So-with all their business expenses such as trucks, employees, cell phones, land phones, computers, IT support, office space, admin salaries, taxes, etc., since you say the quote is high what should it be?
I would like to hear the answer from the entire pontification gallery......
@JHZR2-since you used the word "theft" you can go first.......
Sure. Theft. When I paid for a job and they didn’t pull the permits that they said they would, then I was paying for expected labor that wasnt performed.

So I’ll turn it back on you - how is that not theft? They said they would do it and didn’t. And I paid a burdened rate of labor for that time and cost.

What should it be? Well when I hire trades that actually give a price, and it’s between $120-150/hr, and then some other person doing hvac comes with a “blended” price (labor and materials) where the asset cost is known and they’re trying to pull $300+/hr, it’s just wacky. Doubly so when we know what a qualified hvac shop charges. So the hvac truck is magically worth hundreds of dollars per hour over someone else who also has a truck and makes house calls?

What should it be? It should be transparent and competitive. That’s what it should be.

Not obscene, undefensible hourly rates, whatever the regional rates may be.

Sure. Theft. When I paid for a job and they didn’t pull the permits that they said they would, then I was paying for expected labor that wasnt performed.

So I’ll turn it back on you - how is that not theft? They said they would do it and didn’t. And I paid a burdened rate of labor for that time and cost.

What should it be? Well when I hire trades that actually give a price, and it’s between $120-150/hr, and then some other person doing hvac comes with a “blended” price (labor and materials) where the asset cost is known and they’re trying to pull $300+/hr, it’s just wacky. Doubly so when we know what a qualified hvac shop charges. So the hvac truck is magically worth hundreds of dollars per hour over someone else who also has a truck and makes house calls?

What should it be? It should be transparent and competitive. That’s what it should be.

Not obscene, undefensible hourly rates, whatever the regional rates may be.
If they didn't ask for a quote beforehand-it's their (HOA's) fault. If they did-it was transparent.

What (theft) is the issue?

Back