Have you ever leased a vehicle? Which one(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf - In the Fiat case, the value of the car after 3 years was very low - about $8K.
The lease cost was very low...
When I said residual, I meant the value of the car, not the buy out residual.
So I mis-spoke. Whoever owned the car after 3 years was the loser.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: lovcom
Leasing is nearly always a disastrous decision. Leasing almost makes no financial sense.

At the end of a lease, you have no equity. Then to make matters even worse (if that is possible) one buys the car at the end of the lease.

Leasing is really dumb.

The only time it might make it good financial sense is if one can run their leased vehicle through their corporation and get the write-off.

Otherwise you will not find a good financial planner in America that will tell you leasing makes good financial sense.

There are good new car purchase deals, there are bad ones. There are good used car deals, there are also bad ones. There are also good lease deals and there are also bad ones.

A good financial planner will look at the terms of the deals to say whether it's a good deal or not.

Check leasehackr.com. Their latest deal was on a Hyundai Sonata. Residual was 55% and there was a 3k incentive for the lease plus an additional $750. There were also additional incentives of a military bonus and recent grad that some may have qualified for. With just the basic incentives and a negotiated 9% discount off MSRP, you end up paying 75% of MSRP for the car and with a 55% residual, that means on a 3 year lease, you paid 20% of MSRP. The key point is that if they offer discounts on the lease but not the purchase, the lease can be a better deal.

Lots of people are just bad at doing math. Do the MATH! Do not dismiss them out of hand.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
If a car has low residual value and you can get into the lease at a low price, then you are bucks ahead.
For example, Fiat electrics were offered at a great lease.
At the end of the 3 years, the vehicle was worth like $8K.
If you had purchased the car outright, you would be left holding the bag.
In this case, the leasing company was.

I'm not sure you worded this right. It's better to lease a car that has a high residual value relative to market value. For instance in the quote above, if 55% is above market value, the manufacturer is in essence subsidizing the lease by an additional method of having a high residual value. If the lease deal has a car with a low residual value, then in essence you are paying more for the lease.

Your math is exceedingly flawed. That is what Dave Ramsey would tell you. You know Dave, the self made multi-millionaire who gives advise on his nationwide radio show.

Your math only "works" if these flawed premises are true: "I will always have payments", and "I want to stay in new cars for ever", and "I get bored with my cars fast".

Nothing wrong with wanting a wonderful car. This is why its exceedingly important for one to do their homework, choose a great car that fulfills all their needs, and will last one for the LIFETIME of that car, is very dependable, reliable too.

The problem with people that think they made a good financial choice by leasing is that they worry way, way too much about residual value. Residual value should never matter when one buys the car, if they want the car for its entire life, and understands that flipping in and out of "awesome leases" is no way to build wealth.

Now of course, if you are a multi-millionaire that might be different.

But must middle-class act like millionaires and since 1960 when I was born, every single downturn should millions of middle class trying desperately to get out of their Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac leases.

You see, they suffer from a lack of Delayed Gratification. This is why you can drive through millions of apartment complexes all over the nation and see $50,000+ vehicles parked there. Middle-class RENTING, and ACTING like the RICH.

Bad.

Dave Ramsey helps a lotta people. I think personal finance should be a high school requirement. I disagree with some of his stuff, but again, he helps a lotta people.
If you wanna drive cheaper, by a good used car; perhaps a lease return. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
And it depends on the car. What good is it to purchase a car that has poor reliability and the value drops?

Leased my diesel smart. They were offering a really good lease rate to clear out the last of the second gen models, which also got me a $7000 Green Rebate which paid for a large portion of the full lease term. I also wasn't sure if I really wanted to keep it longer than 3 years, made it simple to just dump it off at the end of the lease if I chose to. Loved the car, so ended up keeping it another 3 years.

Your math is exceedingly flawed. That is what Dave Ramsey would tell you. You know Dave, the self made multi-millionaire who gives advise on his nationwide radio show.

Your math only "works" if these flawed premises are true: "I will always have payments", and "I want to stay in new cars for ever", and "I get bored with my cars fast".

Nothing wrong with wanting a wonderful car. This is why its exceedingly important for one to do their homework, choose a great car that fulfills all their needs, and will last one for the LIFETIME of that car, is very dependable, reliable too.

The problem with people that think they made a good financial choice by leasing is that they worry way, way too much about residual value. Residual value should never matter when one buys the car, if they want the car for its entire life, and understands that flipping in and out of "awesome leases" is no way to build wealth.

Now of course, if you are a multi-millionaire that might be different.

But must middle-class act like millionaires and since 1960 when I was born, every single downturn should millions of middle class trying desperately to get out of their Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac leases.

You see, they suffer from a lack of Delayed Gratification. This is why you can drive through millions of apartment complexes all over the nation and see $50,000+ vehicles parked there. Middle-class RENTING, and ACTING like the RICH.

Bad.

It's funny how you think the math is wrong but can't really say why. That is merely an example of the first half of the work. The second half is actually looking at the purchase math which was not presented. It was a trick example. You couldn't actually tell whether that deal was good or not based on the math I provided. On the surface it looks good if the purchase assumption of no rebate was valid. However as the deal was already expired, it was impossible to determine what the existing rebate for the purchase was at the time.

Lots of people hate Dave Ramsey too, weak at math, just says things in general. Good for those without any financial background, but for those who can do the math, not so good. Always run the numbers, don't go on assumptions. Most of your post was all assumptions.

Dave Ramsey is a self-made multi-millionaire.

You are NOT.

Dave buys. You lease. I buy.

It seems Dave is better at math than you are.

End of story.

Dave Ramsey is a self-made multi-millionaire.

You are NOT.

Dave buys. You lease. I buy.

It seems Dave is better at math than you are.

End of story.

Nope-not end of story. I will tell you I did the opposite of what Mr. Ramsey preaches and was able to retire at 54 years old.

This included mortgages on multiple rental properties, etc.

The problem with Dave Ramsey is he deals in absolutes-and "black and white". So no credit cards period. I have three-pay them off every month and enjoy the rebates one gets with a FICO over 800.

I know at least three young couples who are "followers" and can't buy a house because they have ZERO CREDIT-no credit history and no FICO score.

And yes "manual underwriting" is a "catch phrase" he uses that doesn't exist-at least for young people with no Hard assets (other than a down payment) trying to get in to their first house.

Last edited:
:
21.gif
:

I was a "natural" at D.R's advice: I practiced most of his advice before I heard of or knew who he was.

In 2014, I found a house I wanted to buy. Minimal credit history. No credit cards, no other loans for anything ever in my life. BUT with a steady job, decent income, over 20% cash downpayment, plenty of money in reserve, I strolled into the credit union and they swiftly gave me a 15 year loan at the best rates available. It was clear their risk was quite low even though the credit report was, well...empty.

Why would anyone care about my Fico if I have the money to cover myself (which, a successful D.R. follower likely will)?

I'm still young and a lot can happen, but extrapolating my current position, retirement at 54 is certainly attainable using my D.R.-esque methods.

I'm not taking sides here, but I'm proof that you can make it happen without the beloved credit score. A good credit score isn't a bad thing to have, but it is NOT a necessary component to success.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
:
21.gif
:

I was a "natural" at D.R's advice: I practiced most of his advice before I heard of or knew who he was.

In 2014, I found a house I wanted to buy. Minimal credit history. No credit cards, no other loans for anything ever in my life. BUT with a steady job, decent income, over 20% cash downpayment, plenty of money in reserve, I strolled into the credit union and they swiftly gave me a 15 year loan at the best rates available. It was clear their risk was quite low even though the credit report was, well...empty.

Why would anyone care about my Fico if I have the money to cover myself (which, a successful D.R. follower likely will)?

I'm still young and a lot can happen, but extrapolating my current position, retirement at 54 is certainly attainable using my D.R.-esque methods.

I'm not taking sides here, but I'm proof that you can make it happen without the beloved credit score. A good credit score isn't a bad thing to have, but it is NOT a necessary component to success.

It was your money in reserve that most likely got you the loan-as well as your employment. With all due respect the 20% in the Western U.S. is a much bigger number (generally) than in your neck of the woods. Also-appreciation is much more rapid (lately) and does not give you the ability to save money faster than what real estate is appreciating-this is pretty much applicable across the country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: emmett442
:
21.gif
:

It was your money in reserve that most likely go you the loan

Exactly...

A lot of the stuff DR says is black and white common sense, this subject has been covered to death here. I recently started listing to his show on the radio on my way to or from work and some individuals that call in for advice are dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to finances, ironically some of them make 6 figures a year.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
A lot of the stuff DR says is black and white common sense, this subject has been covered to death here. I recently started listing to his show on the radio on my way to or from work and some individuals that call in for advice are dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to finances, ironically some of them make 6 figures a year.

We agree-when a "leasing thread" pops up D.R. supporters come out of the wood work and then tell the OP how fiscally irresponsible they are.

It's the "Dave Ramsey" Kool Aid challenge.......

I am now thinking about leasing a new Leaf. About $2,500 down and $205 per month, 3 years, 12K per year.
I could ride in the computer lane and save some time.
My company has lotsa charging stations that they subsidize.

I am aslo considering a Lexus GS 350 or GS 200t.
Dunno...

I like Dave Ramsey, but certainly don't agree with everything he sez.
He is only trying to help. And make $$, I imagine...
I think personal finance should be taught in grade school and more in-depth in high school.

I was broke once, but that was due to alcohol abuse.
Let's just say that A.A., college and Silicon Valley have been very good to me.

Last edited:
Leased a 2014 Focus hatchback. Glad it was a lease too, it had the transmission issues. Other than that... fantastic commuter car. It let me keep the Mustang at home and use it for nice whether days.

I mostly see leasing advantages when its a cheap car. At the same time for those that make a good amount of money, and want a new toy every 3 years... why not? We all die sometime. If I wanted to I could lease a Jaguar F-Type today and have no problem paying the monthly on it. Would I be saving/investing less? sure. But I'd have some fun.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
A lease isn't a bad deal depending on what is important to the owner.
1. Do you usually have a car payment anyway?
2. Do you enjoy driving the newest type vehicle?
3. Do you get bored with vehicles after a few years?
4. Does the possibility of huge repair expenses concern you?
5. Do you normally maintain your vehicles reasonably and drive average to low miles?
6. If you decide you really like the vehicle you can then buy it.

Most of these reason are really silly.

You will not find a decent financial planner in America that would agree with your reasoning here.

But all legit reasons and reasonable. Most people don't run their lives based on what financial planners think.

Most people can't save up huge amounts of cash for a vehicle as things happen like medical bills, a new furnace, new roof, braces etc. They also can't afford a 500+ car payment.

The thing with a lease is if you like the car you can buy it at the end. Maybe your finances got much better over those years.
Or as I did one time I bought my Camry at the end and sold it for more than the residual value.

Not everyone is the same and not very situation is the same. And thankfully not everyone drives the exact same vehicle with the exact same color paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
and some individuals that call in for advice are dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to finances, ironically some of them make 6 figures a year.

In all fairness, that covers pretty much all finance shows, not just D.R.'s.

People that are fiscally responsible have no business calling in to a show about fiscal responsiblity...

Of course vehicle cost and income matters. A 25,000 new car is 1/2 a 50,000 income but only a 1/4 of a 100,000 income. A 250-300.00 lease for a 50,000 income is far better than an 400 + payment. And after 2-4 years you can walk away and try something different or go with a slightly used vehicle if you wish.

A financial planner may say bite the bullet and buy used cars or only use cash to buy used cars. But that isn't how many emotional humans live their lives.

Plus in society today we get stressed if we wait in a fast food line too long. To expect people to save for 5-10 years to purchase a newer vehicle with cash is just not reasonable. Especially if their income is on the low side.

Situations, needs and wants are all different.

I'm thinking of leasing a Stelvio TI; if reliability turns out to be dismal I'll just turn it in at the end of the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back