Has truck wheel well fender rust been eliminated?

My 13 year old Chevy truck does not have any rear well fender rust ( knock wood) even though I’m in a rust prone area. Rear wheel well rust was a major problem for many years in the rust belt. Perfectly good truck bodies we marred by the rusted wheel wells in many models of trucks. Did the manufacturers finally get this sorted out? What’s your opinion? Thanks.

Still see it on all of the Big 3 full-sized trucks. Rocker-panel and cab-corner rust are still problems too.

I've seen the rear fender wheel-well rust on surprisingly recent Rams and Fords in addition to Chevrolet and GM. I'm talking about < 10–year-old trucks.

Agreed that it's still a thing. There's just too many nooks and crannies up in there that hold onto dirt/grit/salt.

One of the first things I did to my Ram 1500's is remove the rear wheel well liners and woolwax/fluidfilm all up in there, then replace the liners. I also remove the rear taillamps and spray all up in there.

Same with the inner and outer rocker panels (two distinct cavities on Rams).

I noticed it on RAM trucks a few years ago. Problem is....I dont know how old the trucks are.

My observation for trucks around here is that 8yr old +/- and older Rams seem to be the worst for rust around the rear wheel wells. GMs and Fords seem to go a few more years before the rust shows up.

My 03 avalanche , had this fall onto the concrete when I slammed the rear passenger door. I traded it a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_20210807_142323837.jpg

The owner of the dealer I work at has a thing for government auction trucks and will buy them from all over. I've seen GMT900s missing significant amounts of metal. Granted these trucks were probably used to spread salt on mud roads in North Dakota or something.

It's only cosmetic. "it'll buff out", LOL.

My 2003 workplace Ram, with your's truly in the reflection - that's all muscle beefcake (the truck).............
2003 Ram.jpg

@doitmyself That’s how it is here with that generation Ram. The way the inner and outer bedsides trap salt and dirt just destroys the bedsides. Usually worse on the passenger side from the slush on the edges of the roads in winter. Looks like the band-aids will keep you going for another 18 years!

I’d say things have improved among all the manufacturers in more recent stuff. We aren’t as bad as some more northern states though so I’ll defer to others.

What year for ford start the Aluminum body’s on the f150? How have they been holding up?
Yes I know aluminum won’t rust but it can corrode.

Reactions: AP9
What year for ford start the Aluminum body’s on the f150? How have they been holding up?
Yes I know aluminum won’t rust but it can corrode.
Since MY2015. I'm also curious about this. Several months ago Ford did issue a TSB regarding installation of aftermarket accessories (tool boxes, mud guards, etc.), because of the potential (no pun intended) for galvanic corrosion when people mount them with steel fasteners.

It's only cosmetic. "it'll buff out", LOL.

My 2003 workplace Ram, with your's truly in the reflection - that's all muscle beefcake (the truck).............
View attachment 67844

Love the bandaids! LOL

I should snap a pic of some of the white F150s and F250s from where I work. They're ~5+yrs newer than that Ram with similar results.

I've ended up getting rid of every truck I've ever owned way to early because of rusty rocker panels, cab corners, and rear fenders. I cannot figure out why such a simple problem has never been solved?

Back