Has the roaring stock market really helped the average Joe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Now if we could just change Social Security and let us make the investments, I'd be very rich when I retire. It is a big sham that they don't change the law so we can do that. It has done wonders for Chile. People ripped GW Bush to pieces when he floated a proposal just to allow some of it to be privately invested. I think one particular party's leaders are against anything that could possibly get people to be less dependent on them. It sure seems that way, anyway. I can't think of one single pro growth policy they support. (They do try to sell horribly bankrupting ideas as being pro growth, but they are not.)

They all think they are Robin Hood, but I don't remember Robin Hood putting any of it in his own pocket like they do.

While I agree it would have been nice, but I think they were probably worried that people would make horrible decision and it'd be worse. After all, some people seem to think lottery tickets are a worthwhile investment vehicle. Even if 50% of those that invested the money properly and did really well, what do you do about the other 50% or even if was as low as 10 or 20%, the optics are still very bad. And the ones that got wiped out would still need money. Basically you'd be giving money to everyone to gamble and hope that they're good at it. As you can see from the earlier messages, lots of people aren't even in the market.

Originally Posted by mk378
Roaring? 2017 was a good year. It's been kind of flat since then. Creeping up slowly will still "hit all time highs" if you want to look at it that way.

DOW up 18% since Jan 2019. No bad, wouldnt say "flat" by any means.

I don't think the market can continue for years like it has. At some point the bubble will collapse, and that's what makes it a risk of course.

If the "Average Joe" has any equity investments, either direct or via their pension plan, then heck yes...… You could argue that almost everyone benefits from the multiplier effect.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Roaring? 2017 was a good year. It's been kind of flat since then. Creeping up slowly will still "hit all time highs" if you want to look at it that way.

I don't think the market can continue for years like it has. At some point the bubble will collapse, and that's what makes it a risk of course.

Collapse to what? 1929 levels? 2008 levels? Or 2018 levels? Everyone predicting collapses seem to leave that part out.

My work was booming this summer. We had very few people decline to get their cars ac fixed. Plus most paid with cash.

In the past we got many that declined repairs once they learned how much it was going to cost. And in the past many put the bill on their credit card.

If they are in it with 401k or some investment. If not indirectly with more jobs opportunities recently due to economy rise in last 10 years.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Collapse to what? 1929 levels? 2008 levels? Or 2018 levels? Everyone predicting collapses seem to leave that part out.

A collapsing bubble means not continuing on the constant the 15-20% yearly gain. It could also mean big loses, as in a 15-20% loss or more in the market's value over consecutive years. Invest at your own risk as usual - no one has a crysral ball.

Flat!??

How do you figure?

I'm up roughly 28% since January 2018.

The market is up roughly 24% over the same time. Most of that gain is this year.

Thing is, if you miss out on the best couple days of each year, you miss out on a substantial portion of the return.

The market hasn't been "flat" since 2017, unless you're sitting on the sidelines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back