Hankook H727 All Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
most just use existing platforms and change the tread pattern with little regard to overall performance.

I'm not quite sure I'd go that far, but do agree that the CS4 is everything that Cooper WASN'T, even just five years ago. While maybe not class-leading, the CS4 represents a huge change for Cooper and a good step in the right direction. Their Discoverer CTS is also a solid offering in the SUV/crossover market. Again, not necessarily class-leading, but still a very good offering.

I agree that Cooper CS4 is one of the best tires Cooper has offered...Besides Michelin, who themselves have many excellent offerings in a wide variety of tire catigories, I can't think of another tire company that does as well across the board.

Although, lately many tire companies are offering at least one or two tires in their line up or at least one tire in several speed ratings that are quite competative and we hear of these indivdual tires such as the Hankook H727, Cooper CS4, Pirelli P4, Kumho KR-21, General Altimax RT & HP, G/Y Comfort Treat/Tripple Tread, Conti???Contact and many others from other tire companies including some of the "NEW" LRR tires. These are the tires that score high(er) in their catigory and are recomended so often by their owners. Others too(too many to list)!

And then there is the other speed rated tires H, Q, V, Z and we have to buy accorcdingly. What is it that the own wants/needs for their vehicle(Coupe, Sedan, Mini-Van, TRUCK, SUV/CUV).

For myself, I like to buy "Standard Touring, Grand Touring tires(there is a gray area between the two) in the "S", "T" or "H" rated tires and nothing more. Usually "T" is plenty enough for my vehicles. Tires that score hign in their catigory due to doing many things well including foul weahter performance.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
My experience has shown that Cooper made tires are a bottom of the barrel stuff and should be avoided if possible.

you are very wrong in this case! cooper was a budget tire in the past but they are working vary hard as of the past few years to offer the best tires on the market, the cs4 for example was a huge gamble for cooper, they literally bet the entire company on it, they first created the most advanced carcass they could, then they formulated a new rubber compound to optimize the carcass then they designed the tread pattern to optimism the other 2 components, then a huge amount of r&d to refine it all at the price tag of a quarter of a billion dollars! no other tire company right now is putting this dedication into creating the best tire possible, most just use existing platforms and change the tread pattern with little regard to overall performance.

Hopefully they will succeed. It's do or die - you can't survive being a low-end product if someone in China can make a better product and charge less for it than you.

As a dedicated Michelin buyer I am rarely disappointed. I have normally not purchased small volume tires from anyone until recently.

After two sets of Toyo Proxes 4 and now my new Hankook Ventus V12's I am beginning to believe there may be more good tires out there!

Kudos to Cooper if the above tale is true. Due to the size of their company I seriously doubt the numbers quoted but they are at least trying.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
As a dedicated Michelin buyer I am rarely disappointed. I have normally not purchased small volume tires from anyone until recently.

After two sets of Toyo Proxes 4 and now my new Hankook Ventus V12's I am beginning to believe there may be more good tires out there!

Kudos to Cooper if the above tale is true. Due to the size of their company I seriously doubt the numbers quoted but they are at least trying.

here is some reading.
link

here is some reading.
link

This article was good reading, short and to the point and I am very happy for Cooper and wish them well. Although I beleive that any good tire is developed/tested this way, Cooper hit on the stronget points that customers want, such as a tire that feels planted and controlled along with a nice quiet ride with decent handling and foul weather performance/hydroplaning resistance, all being top priorities.

This is what I look for in a tire and, I am finding these qualities in many of the top rated/scoring tires. Even though I may buy a car that handles well, I don't always want a tire that brings out all of the handling that the car is capable of. Often, I only want to buy that car for the way it looks or seat comfort so, I buy a replacement tire that makes that good handling car more comfortable instead. Or, just the opposite...I may want to put "V" rated tires on a Camry???????
smile.gif
Not likely! But you get my point?

And also, Cooper built the tire that, by it's design, should hold up nicely toward it's mileage ratings while still performing decently along the way. For those who want more performance, Cooper also has the available "H" and "V" speed rated tires over and above the standard "T" speed reated tires.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I just checked and the Coopers seem great, but are not all season or M+S rated. They are touring tires.
In Chicago winters, I need the all seasons.
But they are still contenders - I'll do more checking.

Sure they're an All Season(A/S) tire and they do very well in the in the winter snow/ice for an A/S tire. As do the Hankooks H727's.

Out of curiosity, what vehicle are you putting them on. If you have had decent winter traction with other all season tires, you'll love either of these tires especially in the snow. You won't find better A/S tires for snow/ice traction without going to a dedicated snow/ice tire. But as A/S tires go...These 2 are about the best you'll find anywhere and better than any A/S tire for snow/ice than you have been using, I'll bet on it!

Kinda' curious! What tires were/are you using before/now on your vehicle?

This is my main daily driver/toy. A medium modified Ford ZX2.
I have had Kumho ASXs on there. Weak sidewalls and pretty fast wear. Very good until 1/2 the tread was gone. Then they got slick and poor winter performance. Cheap.

I have Goodrich Traction TAs on right now. Nice stiff sidewalls for performance. Very good balance retention. Great until 1/2 the tire was worn. Then slick in anything but dry conditions. Also kinda fast wearing.

I personaly think that between the two tires(CS4's & H727's) the Cooper CS4 would suit your car and it's personality a bit better as it's a bit better handling(dry cornering) than the Hankook, which themselves aren't too bad either
smile.gif
Both being equal in the snow/ice.

The BFG Traction T/A are quite a nice tire themselves and rate quite well.

Just my .02 cents

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I personaly think that between the two tires(CS4's & H727's) the Cooper CS4 would suit your car and it's personality a bit better as it's a bit better handling(dry cornering) than the Hankook, which themselves aren't too bad either
smile.gif
Both being equal in the snow/ice.

The BFG Traction T/A are quite a nice tire themselves and rate quite well.

Just my .02 cents

CB

In addition, the Traction T/A's rate same or higher than some newer tires including General Altimax RT and Yokohama Avid TRZ(both worthy contenders). So, don't rule out the Traction T/A's especially since you have experience with them.

Last edited:
I like the Hankook tire company due to performance and quality, and price. Their I-pike 409 snow tire is awesome and long wearing. I also had the Cooper CS4 tourings on an Equionx that were very nice, although it seemed the max miles were could have got were about 40k, We put about 15,000 and they lost about 33% tread

I have on 05 Honda Odyssey and wasn't sure which of two tires (Cooper CS4s or Hankook H727s). I ended up choosing the CS4s because the load rating on them was a bit better. I would probably have gone the Hankook route otherwise.

I do really like the CS4s on my van as I've driven them a few thousand miles now. They seem pretty quiet and have a comfortable ride and feel solid on the road.

Last edited:
The soft sidewalls of the Hankook are a concern for me.
But the Cooper CS4s are not available in my size.
The guy at Discount tire is steering me towards Yokohama Avid TRZs.
He seems OK... not a parts store lemming.

Any All Season tire is a compromise.

The soft sidewalls of the Hankook are a concern for me.
But the Cooper CS4s are not available in my size.
The guy at Discount tire is steering me towards Yokohama Avid TRZs.
He seems OK... not a parts store lemming.

Any All Season tire is a compromise.

Look up the TRZ's reviews from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
The Hankook H727 is the number one ranked tire by Tire Rack in the Standard Touring All-Season Tire category. This is out of 24 tires in the category.

But it came in 4th in their latest test of AS tires. Worst wet traction of the bunch.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=152

"We wanted to find out just how advanced the new Assurance TripleTred All-Season is, so the Tire Rack team conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track drive, comparing it with three popular options already in the marketplace: the General Altimax HP, Hankook Optimo H727 and Michelin HydroEdge with Green X."

My problem with reviews is the extremes .
Some despise and trash a certain tire, and others love it.
Wildly varying results for wear, noise, how they 'feel.

This should be a simple task, but it isn't.

Something of value:

I have found a pattern worth of note:

When researching tires by reviews on the web, note what they are for.
For the same tire, SUV reports may be opposite of their passenger tire counterpart.
Works both ways, but I have found how the specific tire is grouped by general vehicle type is important.

My problem with reviews is the extremes .
Some despise and trash a certain tire, and others love it.
Wildly varying results for wear, noise, how they 'feel.

This should be a simple task, but it isn't.

Here's the thing! In this Tire Rack Test, the H727 was tested against 3 other tires in 3 different catigories. And 2 of the tires were "H" rated and only the HydroEdge was a "T"(as was the H727).

All 3 other tires were directional and/or HP tires. The Hankook Optimo H727's are a standard touring tires. It[H727's] was outclassed here in this test.

Even in Consumer Reports Tire Test, CR shows similar results for those same tires in the Wet/Handling/Hydroplaning areas but, catigorizes the tires by speed ratings. And if you look at TR Customer Reviews, you'll see again, similar in performance areas such as Wet/Handling/Hydroplaning and the other performance areas as well.

Even TR catigorizes the tires in the "Apples to Apples" thing although in this particular test, it was "Apples to Oranges"
Hankook could up the ante' a bit by coming out with an "H" speed rating(and other speed ratings) tire in the H727's.

I personaly have many and we in my circle of family/friends also have even more of the "Higher Tested/Rated" tires discussed here at Bob's and love'em even though they are now being eclipsed in scoring/testing by other newer tires coming to market.

The Michelin HydroEdge was compared to the Hankook Optimo H727 in CR Mag and HydEdg #1 did also score above the H727 #2.
In CR's newest test, the H727 has slipped to #4 as two new LRR tested tires have eclipsed it in the ratings. But the H727 is still holding the #1 position at TR in the "standard touring" catigory.

So many good high rated tires to choose from. I suggest that people read the reviews and stay with these higher rated/scoring tires and buy tires by their personal criteria.

Last edited:
In general, the performance I have had with Hankooks was bad. Very short tire life and extremly poor service when replaceing them under warranty. I wouldn't put them on a wheel barrel.

Last edited:
Char Baby -

You sound like the resident Tire Guy. The real deal.
Thanks for your input [along with others!].

If the speed rating goes up, often the tire's rated life is reduced, for some odd reason.
And a higher speed rating changes all sorts of handling and feel properties. A whole 'nuther ball game.

When a person is in market to buy a set of tires for his/her vehicle(s), that person should look at the newest designs in the category (standard touring or UHP ...). The best in class of 4-5 years ago is not necessary in the top 3-4 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back