235/60r15

At a quick Google I seem to be up the proverbial creek for a decent all season performance tire in this size, eh? It's an old Jaguar.

Cooper GT, Radial TA, some odd and end Hankook are all I recognize.
Anything else?

?
Not without doing a search myself!
I have(OE) 225-70-15 on the Firebird FORMULA in my signature and they too are becoming more rare.
Have you checked the major online tire stores such as the TireRack and DiscountTireDirect?

Mastercraft Avenger is another. They are made by Cooper.
None of those that have been listed can be considered performance tires. They either have a speed rating of S or T.

That's about the same choices I had when I replaced a couple of sets (on classic cars) a few years back.

Milestar also makes a tire in that 235/60-15 size, in their 'Street Steel' line... which I did consider using on one of the cars.

I ended up buying a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws (with whitewalls...which have since been discontinued) for one car, and a set of Cooper Cobras for the other.

Both are on classic cars which will only get driven a couple thousand miles a year, and never in rain or snow. Sometimes, it is difficult to spend a lot of money on tires that will become unsafe to use from age, before they ever wear out.

If you want the best tire out of what is available, I'd go with the BFG Radial T/A.

Yeah those are about all I've found looking around online. It would be nice to have a higher speed rated more performance oriented one just for the handling benefits but the BFG or Cooper will probably be alright. Sure is a bummer with stuff like this on older cars anymore.

I have Cooper Cobras on a 65 GTO. By modern standards they are not a performance tire, nor is a 65 Pontiac sedan a performance car. But the tires themselves are great by my admittedly modest standards!

Yeah those are about all I've found looking around online. It would be nice to have a higher speed rated more performance oriented one just for the handling benefits but the BFG or Cooper will probably be alright. Sure is a bummer with stuff like this on older cars anymore.
Remember though... today's tires (such as the BFG and Cooper) are likely capable well beyond what it rolled off of the assembly line with.

Remember though... today's tires (such as the BFG and Cooper) are likely capable well beyond what it rolled off of the assembly line with.

I've had that thought. The BFG Radial TA tread pattern at least looks just like I remember it looking a lot of years ago, maybe it's updated otherwise. I suspect the target market for them and the Cooper are people that want a classical looking tread pattern. I don't know that, but I suspect. Are they better than (original to my application) Pirelli P600's were 30 years ago? Who knows.

Not crazy about the Hankook but they are about the only modern-ish all season option that isn't either a boutique super expensive one or a brand I've never heard of.

At a quick Google I seem to be up the proverbial creek for a decent all season performance tire in this size, eh? It's an old Jaguar.

Cooper GT, Radial TA, some odd and end Hankook are all I recognize.
Anything else?
225mm section width should be absolutely fine. 235mm is odd duck. You won't notice 1cm less ballooning on the sidewall; also the actual tread width can be same as larger section with some brands. "Biometric" tire Data tabulated is available on Tirerack but buy elsewhere if much cheaper

just saw this in a 2ms search

How fast you plan to rocket this jag? Is it a V-12 Xj-S

Yeah there's an H rated General Altimax RT I've had good service from in the past in a 225. Was hoping for that wee bit of extra height, this old car is reeealy low. Is what it is though.

Yeah there's an H rated General Altimax RT I've had good service from in the past in a 225. Was hoping for that wee bit of extra height, this old car is reeealy low. Is what it is though.
Option to go to a 65 aspect ratio if you have room for more height. Handling may certainly take a hit.

What is the Car?! I'm 1/2 Scot, so I understand wee and the Brit Jack-U-Are and Triumph Herald

Asking all the statesiders - What's a Jag wire? :) :) :)

I've had that thought. The BFG Radial TA tread pattern at least looks just like I remember it looking a lot of years ago, maybe it's updated otherwise. I suspect the target market for them and the Cooper are people that want a classical looking tread pattern. I don't know that, but I suspect. Are they better than (original to my application) Pirelli P600's were 30 years ago? Who knows.

Not crazy about the Hankook but they are about the only modern-ish all season option that isn't either a boutique super expensive one or a brand I've never heard of.
General Altimax RT45 comes in that size.

I didn't see any 225/65r15's really but that would be closer to stock. It's a 1990 XJS Jag-you-whar :)

Looks like you have a few options, including BF Goodrich (part of Michelin) and Cooper (now part of Goodyear). What exactly are you looking for - those are two are the better manufacturers out there IMHO.

The last new set I put on (when still easy to find & fit) my 76 Chevelle back in 2015 or so was BF Goodrich T/A Radials. As far as I know those are still popular enough they keep making and offering them.

Just a few places to get you started....
Tires for Antiques/Classics/Sports/Race Cars:

https://kelseytire.com/

I didn't see any 225/65r15's really but that would be closer to stock. It's a 1990 XJS Jag-you-whar :)
For 65's the Universal Minivan tire was 205 65r 16

Those may be too narrow for your sporting intentions.

Those uniroyals I linked looked to fit the bill and are reasonable.

Last edited:
Back